1. Joined
    17 Apr '10
    Moves
    17 Apr '10 18:04
    Hi, new to the site so I hope you won't mind me going back a couple of years in this thread. Could you post your review of the following books?

422. How To Play The Queen's Gambit Exchange Variation By Wicker
    423. Queen's Gambit Declined Exchange Variation By Konikowski

Thanks in advance
    BuddyT
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 02:58
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Suttles was brilliant, as was Tal.

But Suttles was Suttles.

I played his ideas (I think we all did when they his games crossed the pond).
    We all got hammered.

Same happened with the Miles a6 game.

'Never before in the field of human Chess play have so many been totally confused
    by so few.'

Tal. Miles, Suttles.....yes worship them, but emulate them at your peril.
    My chess soul was saved at the First Church of Suttles. The bishops, of course!
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    19 Apr '10 03:38
    Originally posted by BuddyT
    Hi, new to the site so I hope you won't mind me going back a couple of years in this thread. Could you post your review of the following books?

422. How To Play The Queen's Gambit Exchange Variation By Wicker
    423. Queen's Gambit Declined Exchange Variation By Konikowski

Thanks in advance
    BuddyT
    Hi

Queen's Gambit Declined Exchange Variation by Konikowski (1985)

It's just a 58 page pamplet with various lines of this opening. It is two languages/languageless with analysis, games, and just symbols.

Because of the age and format, I don't really recommend this book.

How To Play The Queen's Gambit Exchange Variation (1976) by Wicker

This is also a pamplet (94 pages). This one is a lot better, though. It looks more at the ideas/plans that arise than actual variations. An example would be the chapter on the minority attack. It mentions white's goal and then looks at both black's countermeasures on the queenside and black's counterattack on the kingside. It also includes a small illustrative games section. I really like this book, but it is rather dated.

Pretty Good ... Probably Too Dated Though

Sadler's book on the Queen's Gambit Declined also looks at plans and ideas with games. Since it is more current, I'd go with that one first.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree