Playing against Grob (1.g4)

Playing against Grob (1.g4)

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
19 Feb 07

Originally posted by Korch
After 11.Bd2 I definetly wouldnt take the pawn (such kind of lines I`m usually even dont consider). I think I would play e4 pushing your bishop to e2 an g2 and your knight wont be able to move on f3.
Note I did state (in the next sentence) that white does not have to take it. I merely gave the example showing if white is greedy here he could lose.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
20 Feb 07

Why do you think that position after 1. g4 e5 2. c4 h5 3. gxh5 Rxh5 4.Nc3 Nf6 5. Bg2 Bc5 6. e3 d6 7. d4 exd4 8. exd4 Bb6 9. Qe2+ Kf8 "is hardly great for black" ? I think black position is fine - because losing castle isnt so harmful as kingside rook is activated.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Note I did state (in the next sentence) that white does not have to take it. I merely gave the example showing if white is greedy here he could lose.
But look at your comment of diagram
"Position after blacks 10th move. 11. Bd2!! and white is probably winning"

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
20 Feb 07

Why do you think that position after 1. g4 e5 2. c4 h5 3. gxh5 Rxh5 4.Nc3 Nf6 5. Bg2 Bc5 6. e3 d6 7. d4 exd4 8. exd4 Bb6 9. Qe2+ Kf8 "is hardly great for black" ? I think black position is fine - because losing castle isnt so harmful as kingside rook is activated.
Because white has more active play than was obtained in the game.
Even Fritz assesses that position as a plus for white.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
20 Feb 07

But look at your comment of diagram
"Position after blacks 10th move. 11. Bd2!! and white is probably winning"
In the interests of objectivity I have amended the note. I do feel that that position was the key moment and e4 is what started the rot. Do you disagree with the assessment that it is key. Saying the key mistake was i. g4 is hardly objective and is in the same class as Homer whose butt I will shortly be kicking if and when he bothers to move.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
20 Feb 07
1 edit

Because white has more active play than was obtained in the game.
Even Fritz assesses that position as a plus for white.
How you`ll be able to exploit your "more active game"?

Btw. I`m waiting your comments about my anotation.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
20 Feb 07

In the interests of objectivity I have amended the note. I do feel that that position was the key moment and e4 is what started the rot. Do you disagree with the assessment that it is key. Saying the key mistake was i. g4 is hardly objective and is in the same class as Homer whose butt I will shortly be kicking if and when he bothers to move.
Have you read my annotation? I think that your first important mistake was 8.Bf3, then 17.Bxf6 (giving me nice pair of bishops against your bishop and knight), and then (after I couldnt find decisive plan) 40.Ne4+ which finished game.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
20 Feb 07

How you`ll be able to exploit your "more active game"?

Btw. I`m waiting your comments about my anotation.
I have no problems with your annotation. I think it is quite good. well done.

I've tried to give the reasoning behind my moves where possible but I made mistakes, I lost, so what is key is to identify the points where my thinking was faulty and my play can be improved. Hopefully I have done this. If I play this again I will deviate on move 11. e4 not before as I think that was the key (first) mistake.

You won so you plan and your reasoning were more accurate and I cannot fault it. Until I can refute your analysis in actual play I must accept that your assessment was better than mine.

r

Tony, kiss mine!

Moves
20 Feb 07

Its your opinion. In my opinion 1...e5 with following 2...h5 is making more trouble for black. Your attitude against Grob is too arrogant. If you think that Grob is so bad, then, you can try to beat Dragon_fire on this opening.

Btw. I have studied it for playing with white, but concluded that (at least for me) its useful for blitz and nothing more.
not quite a fair match up don't you think?
me, barely a 1300 player
and DF, knocking on 2000
no matter what opening he chooses, he would probably destroy me...
just because his understanding of chess/tactics/strategy/etc. is far superior to my own...
but take another 2000 ish player and let DF try his Grob...
he'll have his hands full, no doubt

i

Sydney

Moves
20 Feb 07

This may have been posted before (on one of the many previous grob threads) but i quite like Silman's analysis on the grob here

http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_bits_pieces/041001_h_t_,mt_plsh_grb.html

(starts on page 2)

He also recommends e5.

FL

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by idioms
This may have been posted before (on one of the many previous grob threads) but i quite like Silman's analysis on the grob here

http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_bits_pieces/041001_h_t_,mt_plsh_grb.html

(starts on page 2)

He also recommends e5.
That's Andrew Martin's article, not Silman's.

NL

Moves
20 Feb 07

I have to admit I also think the Grob is a pretty poor opening for white, though I suppose you can play almost anything for surprise value occasionally. Think I've only ever faced it once OTB, and then I diverged from the quoted game above with 2...Nc6 (after 1.g4 e5 2.c4), followed up with 3...Bc5 and 4...f5!? and got a very strong attack. Maybe even 2...f5!? immediately is worthy considering. White's problem is that the weaknesses caused by his pawn moves don't go away in a hurry.

c

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by Northern Lad
I have to admit I also think the Grob is a pretty poor opening for white, though I suppose you can play almost anything for surprise value occasionally. Think I've only ever faced it once OTB, and then I diverged from the quoted game above with 2...Nc6 (after 1.g4 e5 2.c4), followed up with 3...Bc5 and 4...f5!? and got a very strong attack. Maybe even 2 ...[text shortened]... ng. White's problem is that the weaknesses caused by his pawn moves don't go away in a hurry.
True, still - I think the Grob should really be saved for blitz - it's very effective there for obvious reasons (opponent wasting time on clock, not knowing book and not having time to figure moves out...) but in larger time controls white will be struggling to hold equality. I don't doubt it's usefulness in blitz though - I can't think of many more effective blitz openings - but I consider the KG superb at any time control, but with some possible weaknesses at high level CC.

z

Moves
20 Feb 07

What would happen if players like cmsmaster and DragonFire learned to play proper openings instead of the Grob, King Gambit or Smith Morra etc? In club/tourney play you can benefit more from learning different openings rather than the opportunism of gambit/irregular openings.

However if your tactic for gaining rating points is to use irregular openings against weak players, I can see how the pieces fall together in the puzzle.

S

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by z00t
What would happen if players like cmsmaster and DragonFire learned to play proper openings instead of the Grob, King Gambit or Smith Morra etc? In club/tourney play you can benefit more from learning different openings rather than the opportunism of gambit/irregular openings.

However if your tactic for gaining rating points is to use irregular openings against weak players, I can see how the pieces fall together in the puzzle.
We must meet up for a nice salad & cup of herbal tea sometime.😴