Playing against Grob (1.g4)

Playing against Grob (1.g4)

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
20 Feb 07

Originally posted by z00t
What would happen if players like cmsmaster and DragonFire learned to play proper openings instead of the Grob, King Gambit or Smith Morra etc? In club/tourney play you can benefit more from learning different openings rather than the opportunism of gambit/irregular openings.

However if your tactic for gaining rating points is to use irregular openings against weak players, I can see how the pieces fall together in the puzzle.
I think it wouldn`t be interesting if all the players would play only "regular" and "solid" openings. Such "opportunism" sometimes can be quite useful. For example in OTB tournament in which I became candidate of master I` got 2,5 points in three games playing Latvian gambit with black against candidates of masters.

Now I`m almost always playing more solid openings in OTB, but I must say that playing "irregular" openings gave me more - for example it improved my tactic sight in unstandart positions and also learned me that many so called "bad lines" are very playable.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
21 Feb 07
3 edits

What would happen if players like cmsmaster and DragonFire learned to play proper openings instead of the Grob, King Gambit or Smith Morra etc? In club/tourney play you can benefit more from learning different openings rather than the opportunism of gambit/irregular openings.

However if your tactic for gaining rating points is to use irregular openings against weak players, I can see how the pieces fall together in the puzzle.
My tactic, dear z00t, is to have fun!

If the Grob, Kings Gambit and Morra are so bad then presumably if a played a better opening I would get better results (and a higher rating) but would I enjoy it as much?

Edit: P.S. I will play all 3 of these openings OTB but I also play the Ruy Lopez as white frequently but it does not get me the results against strong players OTB as these "not proper" openings do.

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
21 Feb 07

Game 3078018

😲

c

Moves
21 Feb 07

I don't play the Grob (I do want to try it in blitz) I've never used the Smith-Morra, but I do use the KG - with great results.

My play wouldn't improve if I used the Ruy instead of the KG.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
21 Feb 07

Originally posted by Diet Coke
Game 3078018

😲
3....Qh4 with 4...Nf6 was really foolish.