1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 19:58
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hmmm....

Robbie

Don't bother replying, ignore me, I'm a total Knob sometimes.

(I thought posted another Corner today.....er....no I screwed it up and lost everything. Best move I can make? Off to bed I'm thinking).
    You're a total Knob.

But i'm the Proper Knob.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 21:44
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    You're a total Knob.

But i'm the Proper Knob.
    Lol, oh great and illustrious Noobster, it is to laugh 🙂
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 22:08
    Hmmm....

Robbie

Don't bother replying, ignore me, I'm a total Knob sometimes.

(I thought posted another Corner today.....er....no I screwed it up and lost everything. Best move I can make? Off to bed I'm thinking).
    Irn Bru not working, mmm, gentle massage from Mrs Pawn should do the trick 🙂
  4. e4
    Moves
    27 Feb '10 23:33
    Hi.

I'm up I'm and am in Mrs GP's bad books cos I forgot to get the messages.

I did not forget I could not be bothered.

Checked other forums I post. Not too bad.

Getting awfully canky recently and am drinking my way out of it.

On the English forum I recently called GM Danny King a 'posh trollope'.

Solution must be post less and drink more.

(messages = shopping)
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 00:312 edits
    Hi.

I'm up I'm and am in Mrs GP's bad books cos I forgot to get the messages.

I did not forget I could not be bothered.

Checked other forums I post. Not too bad.

Getting awfully canky recently and am drinking my way out of it.

On the English forum I recently called GM Danny King a 'posh trollope'.

Solution must be post less and drink more.

(messages = shopping)
    a trollope, LOL, sounds about right! Poor Greenpawn, his football team is no doing well, Mrs Pawn is on his case, his chess buddies are calling him out on public forums and his head is bustin. The place would be a lot duller without you my friend. 🙂

saying that where has our friend wormwood gone, is he really gone?
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 08:49
    Hi

I totally despair about posts on openings. Any opening.

Usually I ignore them and let them have their fun.

This one I jumped in because it's sharp enough to be interesting and there
    are quick kills and tactcial shots a plenty and I spotted an intersting Rook sac.

I wanted to keep the discussion at our level and mentioned the Tebb game
    ...[text shortened]...

(I have a right stinking hangover.)

Game 1891607
    This seems to me a patronizing tosh; why can’t we evaluate a position during the opening? This is not Chess 960. And I cannot buy the idea that due to the fact I am not a GM I cannot grasp the intricacies of Avrukhs’ openings, of Botvinniks’ Semi-Slav etc. I cannot play like a GM but I still can learn thanks to the masters. I can try to evaluate, I can try to grasp a viable plan -an attempt to embrace chaos-, I can try to enter a familiar pattern right out of the very first move and, if possible, I can try to find a forced variation that favors my chessmen during the opening and before the development is over in order to keep the initiative during the middlegame; then, if I am skilled enough, I will try to deliver a broadside:
    “Both players are reminiscent of two old sea captains, trying to manoeuvre their huge galleons into a position to deliver a broadside”, I read once upon a time. This is you in your “Mastering Chess” and I am still thankful.

And there, back then, you continued at the very next page: “We suggest that you set each position up on your board and make a serious attempt to discover a definite best move or forcing line to play”. By the way, methinks this is exactly the idea that rules the approach of the opening, and this idea is the cornerstone of every good opening repertoire book.
    It seems to me Rabbie and Ulysses set a position on their boards and offered a basic opening that to me is tricky and complicated. I will never enter it seriously because I have neither the time nor the desire to dig it, and so I replied Ulysses the way I did because months ago he was so happy explaining to me this and that regarding that opening whilst his daughter and our wives were roaming in the mall; back then I told him it’s too complicated for this ole patzer! No Vespers for me my dearest GP34 for I ‘m deep in crap with my KID, my Schevy and my Grivas and with my 1.d4.

So I was sober and I was just pulling Ulysses’ leg -there, now me English ain't Greek to you. There is no such a thing as “Enter the Beetle”, that is. And now I ‘ll set me off to bed for ever more (regarding Vespers, that is) cause Mrs black beetle started revvin big time
    😵
  7. e4
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 13:46

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. e4
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 13:481 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. e4
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 13:531 edit
    "“Both players are reminiscent of two old sea captains, trying to manoeuvre
    their huge galleons into a position to deliver a broadside”,

My famous Tactics v Positonal Play statement.

For those who have never read this masterpiece basically it was this.

In the Napoleonic wars the French tactics was to hit the ship's rigging.
    Positional Play.

The British navy tactics was to aim their guns at the ships crew.
    Tactical Play.

And then I gave the quoted figures of the ships losses for each side.
    (I don't have the book, so cannot give the exact figures but the British + score was fantastic).

What happened earlier?

Bascially this.

Robbie posted a position wanting evaluation.

I advised looking at the games on here played by players on here.

I do not think GM games serve any purpose as a learning tool.
    (not only my opinion other players feel the same).

I have had this debate raging on a few other sites/ forums but some of it
    spilt over onto here and I flamed friends. Sorry. It happens.

I am of ther opinion the only thing you get from looking at GM games
    are their openings and that is because that can be memorised.

Not understtod, memorised.

Robbie showed some GM game.
    Which to me anyway generated more questions than answers.

You simply do not see the things that happen on here in GM games
    so you are looking at a Rolls Royce engine trying to fix a bycyle.

Enter the dead Greek who did the same. (also calling me a celtic fan)
    Enter the Black Bug who sounded as drunk as me.

So I then went mad. 'How dare they disagree with me.'

A bit over the top (a bit over the top!!?) It happens.

Couple that with the hangover from hell...

The bad news is there is going to be another hangover from Hell.

This is from my William Hill account.
    I have a nice 11 team accumulator runniing

Liverpool v Blackburn – 90 Minutes ???
    Middlesbrough v QPR – 90 Minutes win
    Coventry v Sconthorpe – 90 Minutes win
    Sheff Utd v Plymouth – 90 Minutes win
    Swansea v Peterborough – 90 Minutes win
    West Brom v Derby – 90 Minutes win
    Millwall v Hartlepool – 90 Minutes win
    Southampton v Walsall – 90 Minutes win
    Bradford v Darlington – 90 Minutes win
    Notts County v Hereford – 90 Minutes win
    Dundee Utd v Falkirk – 90 Minutes win

Just waiting on Liverpool beating Blackburn this afternoon and the GP is
    plenty quids in.

(plenty quids in...Wow!)

To cover ass I have just placed £10.00 on it being at draw at 7-2. so I won't
    feel too bad if they don't win.

Though this bet will be a mere fraction of what I get when Liverpool do win.

Edit 1.

RHP would nor let me post this. Said I was swearing?

Sorry, your post has been deemed inappropriate and has been
    automatically removed.

? I eventually found it.

I had to spell the football team Sconthorpe. 🙂
  10. e4
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 17:06
    Liverpool 2 Blackburn Rover 1

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂
  11. Standard memberUlysses72
    Named 'Nobody'
    At the Siren's arms
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 22:503 edits
    Hi

I totally despair about posts on openings. Any opening.

Usually I ignore them and let them have their fun.

This one I jumped in because it's sharp enough to be interesting and there
    are quick kills and tactcial shots a plenty and I spotted an intersting Rook sac.

I wanted to keep the discussion at our level and mentioned the Tebb game

(I have a right stinking hangover.)

Game 1891607
    The dead Greek enters again with no intention to fuel the fire. No GM games on this one (please allow me the use of just one FEN). My honest hope is to demonstrate that all of us are walking towards the same direction. In fact I think that we are also standing on the same side of the road.
    Personally I do not post often. In RHP there were (and still are) some more experienced and more adequate players than me who are willing to share their great experience and help us all (GP, David Tebb, Heinz, FL, Gatecrasher, Korch to name just a few of the invaluable assets and some terrible losses of this site) . Out of respect and due to my concrete belief that says “whenever I am not sure that I have something good to write its better not to write it” I stay silent. The majority of the users here are in need of solid truths rather than endless debates.
    I do not like threads about openings either. You cannot learn from them. That’s why books are published. I admit that everyone including me may get intrigued from something he reads but then my advice is “Go buy the book or search for articles, something published, do your homework anyway”. I do not object to chess chit chat though whatever the reason might be. And sometimes there are some pretty interesting opening discussions that are a good start to trigger a research.
    I do not like “just playing” games from a PGN either. I look at them in order to spot something unusual or something that may grasp me and make me study them. Even if the outcome is pretty irrelevant, a pattern, an idea, a plan may find its way to my brain cells. But they are not telling the whole truth. They do not say whether X player was in time trouble, was in great need of a toilet, whether the lady/husband gave him/her a hard time the day before the game was played bla bla bla and I am confident that I can not spot the good moves or the blunders in short time. In fact they are not telling anything about every possible OTB aspect that affects the quality of play. Annotations from a seasoned player do though. I think they are more helpful to insert to our minds the good and the no no, the plans and the inaccuracies. And I try to follow every annotated game that falls to my attention.
    I don’t even pretend that I try to comprehend GM games (alright beetle. Shoot). For every game that says this, everybody can find another game that says that. I believe this is fruitless. I agree with GP when he says “you cannot evaluate that a variation is good because something is happening 45 moves after” (alright beetle. Shoot twice). GP is right. The dogma “Every endgame begins from the opening” does not apply “a priori” to us amateurs. It is something good to remember though as a principle in order to achieve progress. I remember now (and I hope Robbie can verify) that in our private mails my exact words were “don’t try to evaluate an opening because of an endgame” (ok beetle right now I know you need a machine gun to shoot me). But I agree with the beetle also. We must try to learn from the best. We must dig and even if our digging excavates a few grams of soil nevertheless it will be a fertile soil.
    In any case the question “why bother” remains.
    In our private mails Robbie asked about an evaluation of a given position which has risen on a game of mine. But this position is not independent from a certain line. If I wanted to show off and be provocative I could just reply with the typical million times played Najdorf position:

White to play
    And say look at this: “White has a huge lead in development (3 pieces developed to black’s one) but black has no apparent weaknesses. What do you think”?
    I did not do that. I gave him some annotated games from respected players trying to explain to him what I believe to be the ideas behind the line, the plans that emerge and some short history. Isn’t that a good approach? Isn’t this the way every opening book tries to instill the ideas of every opening to its readers? I did not defend nor rejected something. I didn’t even pretend that I am a line guru. I just did my best to answer the question not by the blessing of GM games but by the help of some good annotations. The fact that they were referring to some recent GM games is completely irrelevant. The absence of these annotations to my post was deliberate to restrain it from becoming too monstrous. It is the annotation that I believe is helpful and not the games themselves. These annotation declared (according to the annotators) that black can do fine not because of the result (after all in the damned Topalov vs Grischuk, black was caught in time trouble missing his winning chances and so the Bulgarian by reaching the endgame was the one who scored). It was just an evaluation.

Dear GP.
    It was not the comments but the tone of your reply that made me wonder. What should I have done differently? Why did I deserve to be accused of waffling and showing off? I think you were at least unfair. Do you honestly believe that the average RHP user can comprehend the way David Tebb plays his games? What is the difference to the average player between GM games, IM games, FM games or even top RHP players (such as DT) games? Can you imagine a youngster facing that tone from a seasoned player and one of the most active and responsible forum contributors? He would be frustrated and disappear from the forum for a decade.
    I never meant to be disrespectful neither to you nor to DT. But I did not felt that Robbie asked for a poll to count down the “Yes” and the Nays”. He asked because he needed to understand. I tried to provide him not through me but through some seriously annotated and illustrative recent games of the possibilities that are rising. Your analysis on DT’s game and his most appreciated words are what I call a good thread because it produces food for thought. No debate on this one. I think that should do.

P.S. Please excuse a little more “waffling” by a well known deceptive and talkative dead Greek Hero. I just need to quote from Heinz’s blogspot.
    “Chandler is a well-respected Chess Writer & Chess Historian from Glasgow, Scotland. I hear that, apart from writing about Chess, he's a huge Celtic fan”.
    I hope your Salvos about this fault of mine to be redirected from my pathetic wooden ship to another battleship. 🙂
  12. Standard memberUlysses72
    Named 'Nobody'
    At the Siren's arms
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 22:55
    Originally posted by black beetle
    [cause Mrs black beetle started revvin big time
    😵[/b]
    One Najdorf line three unhappy wives.
    Conclusion: Najdorf is not sound to married players. 😛
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '10 23:27
    Originally posted by Ulysses72
    One Najdorf line three unhappy wives.
    Conclusion: Najdorf is not sound to married players. 😛
    Lol, even International Master Ari Ziegler gave it up when he got married, ended up playing the French instead, let it be a warning to all 🙂
  14. e4
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 10:491 edit
    To the Mad Jock, the Black Beastie and the Dead Greek.

Sometimes I'm not as funny as what I think I am other times I'm just a fool.
    I thought I made it clear it was not one of my better posts.

I'll leave it at that. Post away on what ever you want I won't butt in again.

(I knew the celtic gag was a joke, it's a running thing between me and
    the much lamented HeinzKat for calling him a Belguim.)

Robbie I'm in Glasgow today, best place for clothes etc to spend a chunk
    of my winnings so if you are wandering around the centre and see
    this very smart looking geezer wearing brand new clothes and a woman
    spending money like there is no tomorrow then say hi.

I'd take you for a pint but I don't want to spend all afternoon sitting
    in some Glasgow bar listening to the latest pawn structures in the Najdorf. 😉

Chess players should never marry.
    I only got married because her face reminded me of the exhange Ruy Lopez.

Right catching the 11:30 to Sun City have to go.
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    01 Mar '10 11:03
    To the Mad Jock, the Black Beastie and the Dead Greek.

Sometimes I'm not as funny as what I think I am other times I'm just a fool.
    I thought I made it clear it was not one of my better posts.

I'll leave it at that. Post away on what ever you want I won't butt in again.

(I knew the celtic gag was a joke, it's a running thing between me and
    t ...[text shortened]... eminded me of the exhange Ruy Lopez.

Right catching the 11:30 to Sun City have to go.
    Oh take care then master GP34: lately my trusty feer Rabbie loves to talk either about the dangers of premarital sex oh the horror or about that awful Najdorf. Needless to add that long ago he traded Nancy's whiskey for that awful Irn Bru😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree