1. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 15:031 edit
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    No actually I told him what would happen if we got a draw. He agreed but someone told me the TD said 15 moves had to be played before we a draw could be agreed upon. So, both of us just did Knight out and Knight back 3 times and it was a draw by repetition. The TD couldn't argue with that, so he gave us the money
    why not fight for all the $$$
    I had a similar situation in an under 1400 a few years back.
    One of the players who i might have faced for the 1st prize, suggested we should draw, for a share of the prize money.
    Turns out this player got paried with someone who beat him, and i got paried with a 1200 who was underrated.
    I ended up beating him, and winning all the 1st prize money (a whopping $250)
    Not sure if i would go for the split, i was there to play, and get experience in OTB chess.
    Why spend 2 days playing, for $125?
    Im sure its not ethical, to the other players, unless of course they would do the same thing, if circumstances allow.
    No doubt the USCF or any other chess org. would frown upon this kind of arraingment
  2. Joined
    24 Jul '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 15:18
    Originally posted by abejnood
    Why care? You got the money, didn't you?
    lolz
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 15:39
    No actually I told him what would happen if we got a draw. He agreed but someone told me the TD said 15 moves had to be played before we a draw could be agreed upon. So, both of us just did Knight out and Knight back 3 times and it was a draw by repetition. The TD couldn't argue with that, so he gave us the money
    I dont really agree with your decision. It smacks of lack of confidence in your own chess abilities.

I mean congrats on the joint first place but anyone who entered wont really remember that......the thing they will remember is the lame draw at the end.

Still nice job in getting to the final I guess, wooooooo for you 🙂
  4. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 15:43
    If I'd been the TD and could get away with it, I'd have DQ'd you both for unsportsmanlike conduct. 😛
  5. USA
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 15:44
    And suppose the game had just ended up in a draw anyway. How would you know if we were just waiting an hour and then agreed to a draw without making any moves or we really did have a draw?
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 17:44
    And suppose the game had just ended up in a draw anyway. How would you know if we were just waiting an hour and then agreed to a draw without making any moves or we really did have a draw?
    Most of the tournaments I've been lately ask you to turn in a carbon copy of your scoresheet. You also generally have people watching board one (not necicarily TDs, but anyone who drops by or finishes early).
  7. USA
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 18:05
    Originally posted by zebano
    Most of the tournaments I've been lately ask you to turn in a carbon copy of your scoresheet. You also generally have people watching board one (not necicarily TDs, but anyone who drops by or finishes early).
    Yeah you got a point there
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 18:50
    ROFL!
    Dude!If you're going to do this at least make it look less obvious.Agree with your oppo to play an exchange french or something,then just trade pieces and agree on a draw around move 20.
  9. USA
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 19:37
    Why? Why not make it obvious?
  10. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 20:21
    Why not just play the game? The purpose of going to a chess tournament to enjoy yourself playing chess. If you make a little bit of money, great. You had very little to lose by playing. If you are concerned about the money, learn how to invest and/or do well in school so you can get a job.
  11. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 21:06
    A month ago, there was a tournament I was playing in. I was in the U1200 section. It was a 5 round tournament. I found myself tied for first with 4.0 points after 4 rounds. There were 2 4.0's (including myself) and a bunch of 3.0's. The prize worked like this. 1st place $350 2nd place $225. If two people are tied for first then they add up the 1st and se ...[text shortened]... rom winning prize money. We both went home with $288.

Is this a morally wrong thing to do?
    Thats a great thing to do... I mean, you make for a pretty unexciting finale' but hey, at least no one gets hurt 😛

Now if only the leaders of the world could follow in your footsteps...
  12. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    24 Jul '06 22:12
    Originally posted by Yuga
    Why not just play the game? The purpose of going to a chess tournament to enjoy yourself playing chess. If you make a little bit of money, great. You had very little to lose by playing. If you are concerned about the money, learn how to invest and/or do well in school so you can get a job.
    The purpose of going to a chess tournament is to enjoy yourself playing chess?

NO, the purpose of going to a chess tournament is to finish as high up as possible.
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 00:021 edit
    Because then nobody knows you threw the game and nobody can complain about it or frown upon it.
    It also gives people something to speculate about.Did they throw that final game or were they both too afraid to lose?That's something 90% of the world's population loves to do.You gotta think about the spectators,my friend 😀

edit: Oh,and about your question about it being morally wrong.Well,what do you think of a boxer taking a dive for some money?
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    25 Jul '06 03:01
    A month ago, there was a tournament I was playing in. I was in the U1200 section. It was a 5 round tournament. I found myself tied for first with 4.0 points after 4 rounds. There were 2 4.0's (including myself) and a bunch of 3.0's. The prize worked like this. 1st place $350 2nd place $225. If two people are tied for first then they add up the 1st and se ...[text shortened]... rom winning prize money. We both went home with $288.

Is this a morally wrong thing to do?
    This is perfectly legitimate.
  15. USA
    Moves
    26 Jul '06 16:41
    Most of the other people told me that they weren't upset as they would do the same thing in my place.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree