Prima Donna Players

Prima Donna Players

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Rooney 8

LA

Moves
28 Mar 07

It seems to me that there are some players over the 2000 rating that act like prima donnas on this site

Lets say you send a player ranked 26th for instance on this site a pm asking for a game, and saying in the message no problem if you are too busy (it can be rated/unrated, you set the time scale) etc...

If they ignore the pm, without even the courtsy of a pm saying "sorry too busy", would I be right in thinking they are a prima donna?

Especially if they do have the time to send pages of details on threads detailing some of their past victories against IM's or GM's

Maybe I'm bitter, or just dissopionted that some people don't even have the manners so say "no thanks" and people like me miss out on the oppotunity to learn from the experience of playing a good player.

The reason I say good player is because in the grand scale of things, someone rated 2100+ here is either using a computer or, congratulations you are so good at chess you are probably in lower end of the top 10000 players in the world.

c

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by spud2048
It seems to me that there are some players over the 2000 rating that act like prima donnas on this site

Lets say you send a player ranked 26th for instance on this site a pm asking for a game, and saying in the message no problem if you are too busy (it can be rated/unrated, you set the time scale) etc...

If they ignore the pm, without even the courts ...[text shortened]... re so good at chess you are probably in lower end of the top 10000 players in the world.
Go away.

s
Rooney 8

LA

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Go away.
Just voicing an opinion for discussion.

c

Moves
28 Mar 07

Just voicing an opinion for discussion.
LMAO, I love when I get PMs about me not being constructive too.

Here's the thing, you're being a real dick in your post to all of the players on the first page - especially the top 10,000 comment. If you PMd a person with that type of tone I wouldn't reply either. It's not their duty to respond - and if you don't like it, fine whine if you want. But to clearly point out that you're talking about Tebb is immature, it's like a RahimK move, really.

s
Rooney 8

LA

Moves
28 Mar 07

LMAO, I love when I get PMs about me not being constructive too.

Here's the thing, you're being a real dick in your post to all of the players on the first page - especially the top 10,000 comment. If you PMd a person with that type of tone I wouldn't reply either. It's not their duty to respond - and if you don't like it, fine whine if you want. But ...[text shortened]... ly point out that you're talking about Tebb is immature, it's like a RahimK move, really.
I just find it curisous that you rarely get any constructive feedback from of kind from the top players on this site.
In threads or anything.

You can insult me all you like, but the top 10,000 comment is true.

c

Moves
28 Mar 07

I just find it curisous that you rarely get any constructive feedback from of kind from the top players on this site.
In threads or anything.

You can insult me all you like, but the top 10,000 comment is true.
I don't think it is. In any case it's a bitchy comment.

As for constructive feedback, Northern Lad, Korch, and MotownDave have all replied to me personally with constructive feedback in PMs. I've also talked to David Tebb through PMs and three of these four players have made various constructive posts on the forums. If you're going to target somebody on that page for being useless target somebody that really is useless.

s
Rooney 8

LA

Moves
28 Mar 07

I don't think it is. In any case it's a bitchy comment.

As for constructive feedback, Northern Lad, Korch, and MotownDave have all replied to me personally with constructive feedback in PMs. I've also talked to David Tebb through PMs and three of these four players have made various constructive posts on the forums. If you're going to target somebody on that page for being useless target somebody that really is useless.
The top players very rarely contribute to these forums.

People will pm you because you seem to be some kind of moderator, or at least act like one.

You continue to attack me, I am only asking other people if they have had similar experiences.

Part of the attraction of this site is the possibility to play someone 1000+ points better than yourself, I just find it a little rude when they are not polite enough to reply with a simple "no thanks" or "i'm busy" and am curious to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Someone who is 1000+ points better than another person should be able to beat them with a simple 30 second glance at the board.

But like you said everyone has the right to play who they like.

I am just curious to see if anyone else has experienced a lack of respect in not receiving a simple courtious reply.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
28 Mar 07

I've never ever played anyone rated higher than 1800. I'd love to play a 2000 player. I think I could give them a run too.

Z8

Moves
28 Mar 07

perhaps, but maybe not. Be careful not to jump to conclusions. I say don't worry about it. Work your way up in the ratings and then challenge.

c

Moves
28 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by ih8sens
I've never ever played anyone rated higher than 1800. I'd love to play a 2000 player. I think I could give them a run too.
Game 2261780
Game 2968851
Game 2261779
Game 2968829

And my best, but still losing effort:

Game 3146852

s
Rooney 8

LA

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by ih8sens
I've played one player in the 2100 range.

It was a great experience and a fantastic reference for learning and improving my game.

Its something that is lacking from this site.
You can enter tournaments but its difficult to predict if you'll get a top player.

Playing someone in the 2100+ range is great, I hope you get the oppotunity because you can really tell the difference even between a 1900 and a 2100 player when playing them.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
28 Mar 07

If they ignore the pm, without even the courts ...[text shortened]... re so good at chess you are probably in lower end of the top 10000 players in the world.
Look, you can't really expect people to reply to a message just because you've sent it. Imagine someone rated 800 sent a pm to you begging for a game, would you play them just because they asked? There is a straightforward mechanism on the site for playing top players which is to join a siege queue which one of them hold - I'm currently patiently waiting to play Gatecrasher who is on the first page, is rated at 2224, and holds the siege queue I'm next in line for. I think I joined that queue over 6 months ago, you have to be patient. Understand that there are 10,000+ other players on the site who would be interested in testing themselves against a top player and there are only a small number of top players so don't expect one to play you unless you are prepared to wait.

c

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by DeepThought
Look, you can't really expect people to reply to a message just because you've sent it. Imagine someone rated 800 sent a pm to you begging for a game, would you play them just because they asked? There is a straightforward mechanism on the site for playing top players which is to join a siege queue which one of them hold - I'm currently patiently waiti ...[text shortened]... mall number of top players so don't expect one to play you unless you are prepared to wait.
My siege didn't take long to get into, and Korch challenged me to a KG. 🙂

Moves
28 Mar 07

Well, I've been a bit busy recently, with over 40 games in progress, and when I've not been playing most of my time has been taken up with clan leadership matters. I had actually intended to reply to your message, which you sent 3 days ago and offer to play you a couple of games.

You said in your message "you probably gets loads of requests and I'm probably being a pain.
Just thought I'd ask.
No problem if you are too busy."

Well, yes I do get a lot of requests for games, often from complete strangers, and I usually agree to play them. Especially if their message is as polite and friendly as the one that you sent me.

So if you had just had a little bit more patience, you would have got those games that you were so eager to play.

But not anymore.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
28 Mar 07
1 edit

Lol

There's proof you don't take a shot at the big guys.

Btw David Tebb, I really like your play, I was looking at some of your games, very impressive, better than your rating implies (in my mind anyways)

Edit - and if you ever would be willing to play someone like me, i'd really enjoy it.