1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    03 Jan '10 22:541 edit
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    Thank you, that makes sense.

Just to play devil's advocate -- would you say that as a 2100+ rated player that learning
    to play chess by playing a sub-1200 player would be like learning to run faster by racing
    a toaster?

Point is, a lot of high rated players on this site join open tournaments and will often face
    much, much lower rated pl ying a strong engine. How much do rating points come into
    consideration? Just a thought.
    high rated players play low rated players for a few reasons: to give the low rated player a chance to get better (paying forward the chances he's gotten himself), to play against friends, and when forced in a tournament or clan challenge etc. -the game itself has very little to offer for the high rated player. although you can easily screw it up by underestimating the opponent or lack of concentration.
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 02:28
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    I'm a casual player who can't tell an engine from a monkey from my left hand. I've
    been reading these cheating/engine threads and for the most part I understand the
    frustrations, especially in cases where there seems to be very clear evidence.

But what I don't understand (and I'm genuinely interested to try to understand) is
    why it IS such a ...[text shortened]... velihood at stake -- ok I'd understand. But on this site, why does it REALLY matter?
    I'm thinking the same thing. As Erekose stated, players at our level may well be immune to this particular issue- or more accurately, irrelevant to it until we get stronger!

Paul
  3. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 03:08
    I've done more game modding on this site than anyone.

There are few things more frustrating than the inaction of the owners of this site when the evidence of cheating against a player is clear, unambiguous and overwhelming.

Yes, on the one hand, the owners can exercise their prerogative, and stay their hand, to do "what is best" for their business. But I'm convinced that it is never good for the long term health of their business to tolerate cheating. Nor is it good to undermine the work of volunteers working to keep the site clean.

If the current system is not working effectively, and I agree that it is not, it is because of the owners' lip service to zero tolerance, while in reality the conviction and commitment to this policy is half hearted at best.

Would you feel inclined to volunteer your services, if your efforts were randomly assessed, haphazardly acted upon, or selectively ignored?

An urgent, self-inflicted kick up the backside is needed, Russ and Chris.
  4. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 07:061 edit
    I don't believe engine are an issue, even at 1800 or more like 1900, I see player do horrible blunders.

Some do not even look at their opponent treath. ( I know I do it sometimes. ) but man, You have more then 1 day to move.

1 day, you should not get trapped into a stupid fork or anything like that.

Something, they forget and go all-in, not looking their ennemy, treat mate.

Come on, if I see that in 5 minutes, why you don,t see that in 1 day ?

Just look at this.

Black took the pawn and lost a knight.... man, You fall for this and yet you have seven day to move, plus seven of timebank. and even acces to an analyse board, IN which you could try many of your opponent move after your and would find and he can do Qa4+ so.. I can,t this understand why poeple fall for this.

And should user who take reference in documents such as this

http://www.chessville.com/UCO/Halloween_Gambit/UON13HalloweenGambit.pdf
    SHould be banned as well.

This is The halloween gambit theory, up to date... for now. and it containt a lot of engine move ( Brause. Who play happily the halloween gambit. ) But also, a lot of games, of humans that follow brause's move. It also containt human games. Such as reference to games of Maurits WIND. But the number of reference to the games of Brause is big, so, are we allowed to consult this ?
  5. Standard membermisterrigel
    Dosadi Survivor
    Chicago
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 07:25
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    I've done more game modding on this site than anyone.

There are few things more frustrating than the inaction of the owners of this site when the evidence of cheating against a player is clear, unambiguous and overwhelming.

Yes, on the one hand, the owners can exercise their prerogative, and stay their hand, to do "what is best" for their busines ...[text shortened]... ively ignored?

An urgent, self-inflicted kick up the backside is needed, Russ and Chris.
    Rec.

Thanks for speaking up Mr. Crasher, it's nice to know you're frustrated too.
  6. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 08:23
    It's like the Tour de France where every year a technically speaking inferior racer who uses some doping wins the race. How do you think the clean part of the field feels about this?
  7. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 08:59
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    It's like the Tour de France where every year a technically speaking inferior racer who uses some doping wins the race. How do you think the clean part of the field feels about this?
    ...they feel... clean?
  8. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 09:02
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    ...they feel... clean?
    I would feel dirty/raped
  9. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 09:03
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    I would feel dirty/raped
    You should, give me my quarter back.

Just cause you picked it up...
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 10:41

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 10:43

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 11:471 edit
    I can fully understand why the Games Moderators may have given up if Russ simply decides on a whim whether someone stays or goes despite the evidence.
    It takes a long time to analyse & collect the data, even if the process is partially automated for Games Mods.

In fact, I think the time may well have come to change the TOS to allow computer assistance here, rather than the current situation where we have high-ranking centaurs who flout the rules anyhow in full knowledge of Site Admin.
  13. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 12:52
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I guess you must have missed my contribution on page 2 which vanished into thin air, but the gist of it is that RHP could actually gain from going's on. Now tell me as you want to silence everyone and make it appear as if people are only criticizing;

- why have people's contributions from as much as 5 or 6 years ago been trashed or ignored?
    - people here have sent feedback and the "send feedback" system is simply a "black hole". There is not even an acknowledgement of any kind. I can assure you many people take time to gather evidence and send feedback and for it to be ignored altogether is frustrating.
  14. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:022 edits
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    In fact, I think the time may well have come to change the TOS to allow computer assistance here, rather than the current situation where we have high-ranking centaurs who flout the rules anyhow in full knowledge of Site Admin.
    I think you're wrong. I'm sure a lot of people here would leave the site if that came to happen, and that would kill the site. Not that I have any statisitical foundation for my opinion, but given the number of posts on the subject, I feel certain about this.

EDIT: I would certainly leave.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 13:33
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I suggest you actually read the whole thread; Russ started it and was quite active in it. My proposals were well known to the Site Administrators at the time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree