Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 18 Oct '06 09:32
    if you have something pinned in front of your opponents king, say a knight and you want to take something with your king but its protected by the piece that can't move can you take it? i know you would be moving into check but if the other piece can't move does it count as check?
  2. Standard member anthias
    ambitious player
    18 Oct '06 09:34
    No, you can't.
  3. 18 Oct '06 09:36
    Originally posted by trevor33
    if you have something pinned in front of your opponents king, say a knight and you want to take something with your king but its protected by the piece that can't move can you take it? i know you would be moving into check but if the other piece can't move does it count as check?
    It still counts as a check so you can't take the piece.
  4. 18 Oct '06 09:41 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by omulcusobolani
    It still counts as a check so you can't take the piece.
    yeah i thought so but its not really fair if the piece thats putting you in check can't move to take your king...

    but thanks for your responses anyway.
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Gonzalo de Córdoba
    18 Oct '06 10:02
    The reason for this is that if the pinned piece were to move, your king would die before his would.
  6. 18 Oct '06 10:17
    the object of chess is to capture your opponents king. if you move into check your opponent would capture your king and the game would end.
  7. 18 Oct '06 11:23
    Originally posted by MikeOldehoff
    if you move into check your opponent would capture your king and the game would end.

    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    if the pinned piece were to move, your king would die before his would.

    There's a contradiction between those two answers and I think that's really what's upseting Trevor here.

    1) if you move into check your opponent would capture your king

    means that the oponent king will die by going into one of the square defended by the (pinned) knight

    2) if the pinned piece were to move, your king would die before his would

    Well no, because the first king to be in check position will be the one of the oponent again


    I can perfectley understand that the pinned knight can't move no matter what, but still think that Trevor point out an illogical consequence of the rule. It would have been more logic that a pinned piece will automatically loose its zones of influences.

    Just interesting, I thought
  8. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    18 Oct '06 11:59
    Sounds like the King against King problem to me. you cannot chack the enemy King with yours... By not allowing the King to move into check a lot of ambiguity is resolved.

    Btw I know of people who play by a differnt set of rules, which boil down to allow the King to move into check or to stay there. Consequentyl the King may be taken enidng the game without checkmate.

    But we are dealing with the standard variation here I presume.
  9. 18 Oct '06 15:18
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    I like to think of it this way; If black moves his King where it would be checked by white's pinned piece, let's say it's a bishop here and it is currently pinned to it's King by black's rook then the pinned bishop would leap forward to smite the black King and soon as he is smited his whole army literally crumbles, becoming piles of dust on the battl ...[text shortened]... erise the white King because he and the rest of the black army would be just piles of dust.
    you are a poet
  10. 18 Oct '06 15:21
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Sounds like the King against King problem to me. you cannot chack the enemy King with yours...
    Played with a lot of people who didnt know that.

    And it's just a very bad time then to explain the rule when it happens - lot of tension.

    I always make sure that the en-passant and promotion of pawn is agreed, but usually forget to have that king checking king bit.
  11. 18 Oct '06 15:27
    Originally posted by Valmore
    Played with a lot of people who didnt know that.

    And it's just a very bad time then to explain the rule when it happens - lot of tension.

    I always make sure that the en-passant and promotion of pawn is agreed, but usually forget to have that king checking king bit.
    Agreed??

    What kind of people do you play with?


    The waiver I get my opponent to sign off on each game is:

    I acknowledge the fact the that knight can hope over pieces and when the knight checks the king, the check cannot be blocked.
  12. 18 Oct '06 15:35
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Agreed??

    What kind of people do you play with?
    All kind, all levels

    The point being to avoid harsh feelings at the end of it.
    It just for the fun anyway even if nobody likes to loose.

    Signing a paper! That's extrem now. I surely dont take it that seriously.
  13. 18 Oct '06 15:50
    Originally posted by Valmore
    All kind, all levels

    The point being to avoid harsh feelings at the end of it.
    It just for the fun anyway even if nobody likes to loose.

    Signing a paper! That's extrem now. I surely dont take it that seriously.
    A person who claims to know how to play should know the proper rules and play by those rules.

    en passant and pawn promotion?

    Why not agree on how each piece moves, what check is, etc....

    Getting them to sign a contract is the best way to go especially if you are friends. You can never trust people, only yourself.
  14. 18 Oct '06 15:51
    There is a flip side to this. A king normaly can't castle through a check, but if the piece is pinned, it can. So it is odd that you can't sit your king on a square that would be check if the piece was unpinned. But that is chess and cest la vie.
  15. 18 Oct '06 15:55
    Originally posted by hahahaaaa
    There is a flip side to this. A king normaly can't castle through a check, but if the piece is pinned, it can. So it is odd that you can't sit your king on a square that would be check if the piece was unpinned. But that is chess and cest la vie.
    No the king can't castle.