Rahim's Chess Lessons

Rahim's Chess Lessons

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
12 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by RahimK
[b] Puzzle 1 for game 5. Solve the following problem and PM me your solution within 3 days (1 extra day this time). Prizes to people on my list will be give once again. To stay on the list you must solve the puzzle and send in the solution.

[fen]r1bqk2r/1pp2pbp/n2p1np1/p2Pp3/2P1P3/2NB4/PP2NPPP/R1BQK2R w KQkq - 0 8[/fen]

Black just played 7...Na6. Why did White play 8.f3 and not 8.Be3?
[/b]
[b]

Here's the solution:

8.Be3 Ng4 9.Bd2 it's important to keep the dark bishop since the dark white squares are weak.

9...f5 and black has gained time to start a kingside attack.

If white neglects the Knight attack on the bishop with a natural move like

9.0-0 Qh4! threatening mate on h2
10.h3 Nxe3 11. fxe3 which is horrible for white. Black's bishop would dominate after 11...Bh6 since it can't be challenged.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
12 Dec 06

[b]Game 5, Puzzle 2

Black just played 9...Bh6. Isn't this a blunder?

3 days again.

c

Wisconsin

Moves
12 Dec 06
2 edits

I'd like to read the other suggestions. It would help to see how far off my thinking is from the other players. You don't have to post names or the same solutions. I would just post the different lines and or comments

H
Renouned Grob Killer

Moves
12 Dec 06

[b]Game 5, Puzzle 2

[fen]r1bqk2r/1ppn1p1p/n2p2pb/p2Pp3/2P1P3/2NBBP2/PP2N1PP/R2QK2R w KQkq - 0 10[/fen]

Black just played 9...Bh6. Isn't this a blunder?

3 days again.
Since your going to post the comments anyway, Im just gonna post in this thread.

My thought process is, the first thing I notice, is that blacks central pawns are on the dark squares, the same color as blacks dark squared bishop, because of this, by definition blacks dark squared bishop is a "bad bishop" and it is a defect to blacks position. To cure this problem, you have to do one of three things:

1. Get it outside of the of the pawn chain
2. Move the pawns to a different color
3. Trade it for another piece.

Options 1 and 2 arent available and it appears that neither is option 3, but not so fast! This great move Bh6 actuually trades his bad bishop with whites good bishop, after:

1...Bh6
2. Bxh6 Qh4+
3. g3 Qxh6

Black has now solved his problem of his bad bishop and saddled white with a very bad one as he has 6 of his pawns on the light squares

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
Since your going to post the comments anyway, Im just gonna post in this thread.

My thought process is, the first thing I notice, is that blacks central pawns are on the dark squares, the same color as blacks dark squared bishop, because of this, by definition blacks dark squared bishop is a "bad bishop" and it is a defect to blacks position. To c ...[text shortened]... bad bishop and saddled white with a very bad one as he has 6 of his pawns on the light squares
I want users to PM the solution, so they don't wreck it for others.

By you posting here, everyone knows the solution now and it takes the fun out of solving it yourself.

H
Renouned Grob Killer

Moves
13 Dec 06

Oh Im sorry

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
13 Dec 06

Oh Im sorry
No worries, just for next time.

I know I get discouraged to solve a puzzle if the answer is right there 🙂

v

Moves
13 Dec 06

I would also like to see the others solutions, I was happy in the previous serie when we had to guess Qc5 and I did not guess it and I saw none did(at least this confirmed me that it was a subtle move 🙂 )

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
13 Dec 06

Originally posted by vipiu
I would also like to see the others solutions, I was happy in the previous serie when we had to guess Qc5 and I did not guess it and I saw none did(at least this confirmed me that it was a subtle move 🙂 )
Alright I'll post those up later on. Gotta study for my final on friday.

c

USA

Moves
15 Dec 06

sent my answer in

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
16 Dec 06

Update:

I'll post the solution and comments for puzzle 1 and 2 later on.

I haven't forgotten, just a bit busy right now.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
17 Dec 06
2 edits

Here's the solution:

8.Be3 Ng4 9.Bd2 it's important to keep the dark bishop since the dark white squares are weak.

9...f5 and black has gained time to start a kingside attack.

If white neglects the Knight attack on the bishop with a natural move like

9.0-0 Qh4! threatening mate on h2
10.h3 Nxe3 11. fxe3 which is horrible for white. Black's bishop would dominate after 11...Bh6 since it can't be challenged.
Puzzle 1 for Game 5, User answers:

I suppose it is the same idea as in Samisch...8 Be3 before f3 would be encountered by 8...Ng4! and after Bd2 maybe for white to protect the Bishop 9...f5 would give black some attack and some space on the king side.

By the way, the final position will be again a puzzle? Because right now, after a short look, I think Nxe4 is playable for black

yes (22.Nb5 Nxe4)...ok, probably black has nothing but some checks...after which it will loose it anyway...

If Be3, the only thing I can see is Ng4, which would cause white to lose a tempo. With f3, this is prevented.

If white had played Be3 instead of f3. then 8. ...Ng4. White would have to move his bishop back and the wing would be in control of black. but since white played 8.f3 controlling g4 which blocked some space for knight and bishop, and hence gained more controll over the wing. Rahim I do hope its the right solution of the puzzle.

Why did White play 8.f3 and not 8.Be3?

I think the main reason for f3 is to prevent Ng4, by playing f3 he also supports the defense of e4.

f3 also prevents the pinning of the e2 knight by Bg4.

Hopefully this isn't too short. I didn't have a whole lot of time to think about this problem and I'm in the process of going over the thread to see what kinds of comments I should be making to these problems.

Thanks again for taking the time to go over these games.

[i]I am not sure the only thing I can think is to lmit blacks c bishop. This is all I see! sorry.

A

Moves
17 Dec 06

Can I join?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
17 Dec 06

Originally posted by Alethia
Can I join?
Hello, you can follow along and join the next time I start over.I just started a new list last week and I have 5 people already.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
17 Dec 06

My thought process is, the first thing I notice, is that blacks central pawns are on the dark squares, the same color as blacks dark squared bishop, because of this, by definition blacks dark squared bishop is a "bad bishop" and it is a defect to blacks position. To c ...[text shortened]... bad bishop and saddled white with a very bad one as he has 6 of his pawns on the light squares
User Solutions:

My thinking on this is that it is not a blunder, if white takes with 10. Bh6 black counters ...Qh4+ 11. g3 ...Qxh6

If white declines by staying on the a7-g1 diagonal black is free to move Qg5 and prepare to launch a king side attack

If white declines by moving to the c1-h6 diagonal black is free to move Kc5 gaining an outpost in the center.

1...Bh6 2. Bxh6 Qh4+ 3. g3 Qxh6

I hate to say it but I think Homer hit the nail right on the head with this one. There is nothing more that I can add. Thanks

1. Bxh6 Qh4+ (moving the king may be ok but it takes away any oppurtunity to castle.) 2.g3 Qxh6 3.Qf1 If there is a trade of queens, white will have a better placed rook and black has weakened dark squares. If black moves, his queen, then white has control over the important c1-h6 diagonal.

Hi Rahim,
the solution for second puzzle according to me is that it could have been a good move if the white's bishop had captured it. then Qh4+. but the chances for that was much less because anybody can see the coming moves by black. so instead of exchanging white puts Qd2 securing his bishop. now black has only two options either to move the bishop back or capture white's bishop. this makes one of his wings lose structured with nobody to cover h6 and g7. I hope its the right answer.