Rahim's Chess Lessons

Rahim's Chess Lessons

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
06 Dec 06

Originally posted by vipiu
1.Vipiu
2.Kevin M
3.Chesskid

Where's all the interest? I know I'm asking you do some "work" but big deal. You get prizes 🙂 nudge, nudge.

Some Incentive:

Next game will be Gm Seirwan (Winning Chess Tactics writer) vs Gm Ivanchuk!!

Read a book!

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by RahimK
Where's all the interest? I know I'm asking you do some "work" but big deal. You get prizes 🙂 nudge, nudge.
Some Incentive: Next game will be Gm Seirwan (Winning Chess Tactics writer) vs Gm Ivanchuk!!
Rahim, you may want to consider starting a new thread. The players who were turned away during the last round may not be monitoring this thread on a regular basis. Just a suggestion.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Rahim, you may want to consider starting a new thread. The players who were turned away during the last round may not be monitoring this thread on a regular basis. Just a suggestion.
Players who were turned away did not want to solve the puzzles I posted since it required some work 🙂

Starting a new thread won't make any difference. It will still be the same format. So if they were turned away from this one, they will be turned away from the other one.

c

Wisconsin

Moves
07 Dec 06

You can add my name to the list, although I'm not that good. I've just started playing again after a 20 yr layoff. I'm learning a lot from the games, I've been losing. And the people I have played more than once tell me they can see my improvement.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
07 Dec 06

1.Vipiu
2.Kevin M
3.Chesskid
4.chuckorc

HandyAndy, are you in?

Same thing as before, you Personal Message (PM) me your solution to my puzzle and I will continue. 2 days to solve the puzzle again. At then end, similar prizes as before. I need 5 people to start though.

v

Moves
08 Dec 06

Rahim it will be a great help. Please count me in.🙂

c

USA

Moves
08 Dec 06

When do we start?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
09 Dec 06

Originally posted by vuelve
Rahim it will be a great help. Please count me in.🙂
Great I got the 5 required players.

I will start tomorrow.

Seirwan vs Ivanchuk, Game 5 of this thread.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
09 Dec 06

[b] Game 5:

Welcome everyone Today's game is between Yasser Seirawan, White vs V. Ivanchuk, Black.

Yasser is a great player and author who most of you must have heard of. His books are great especailly the Winning Chess Series.

I saw Ivanchuk at the Canadain Open in July of 2005. We were lucky enough to host the tournamnet in Edmonton and I volunteered to work 3 demo board on the last round for the top 3 boards. It was a great experience to watch Ivanchuk, Shirov, Bologon and others. Ivanchuk tied for first with 5 other players I belive.

White: Seirawan
Black : Ivanchuk

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. e4

This is the King's Indian. Black allows white to take control of the center in the beginning and starts chipping away at the center slowly. White is glad to take all the space in the center.

4...d6
Stops white for kicking the knight out on f6 with e5. It also help the e5 push.

5. Bd3 e5
Chipping away at the center and gaining some space.

6. d5 White keeps his center and takes more space on the kingside.Whites plan is to play c5 and open up the c-file for his rooks.

6...a5
Ivanchuk stops white from playing b4 which would support the c5 push for white.

7. Nge2 Na6
Controlling the dark squares, namely b4 and c5.

8. f3 See the Problem below

8...Nd7 Prepare to generate kingside counterplay with f5

9. Be3 Bh6 Blunder? See Problem below

10. Qd2 Making sure White benefits from the trade of bishops

10...Bxe3 11. Qxe3 Notice the weak holes in Black's kingside. f6,g7,h6.

11...c6 Opening up the b6 square for the Queen

12.Qh6! Preventing Black from castling. 12.0-0 is not a good move. See problem.

12... Ndc5 13.Rd1! Qb6 Black continues play on the Queenside

14. Bb1! Ke7 15. f4! The time is right now

15... exf4 16. Rf1! Rf8 17. Qxf4 threatening a check on f6

17... f6 18. dxc6 Qxc6 19. Nd4 Gaining tempo on the Queen

19...Qe8 20. Nd5+ Kd8 21. Qxd6+ Bd7 22. Nb5 1-0.

Black resigned.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
09 Dec 06

Puzzle 1 for game 5. Solve the following problem and PM me your solution within 3 days (1 extra day this time). Prizes to people on my list will be give once again. To stay on the list you must solve the puzzle and send in the solution.

Black just played 7...Na6. Why did White play 8.f3 and not 8.Be3?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
10 Dec 06

Prizes for round 1, starting now. I'll wait on there for 20 minutes then I'm gone if no one shows up.

1:50-2:10. 10 minutes left then I'm sending 20 puzzles to whoever didn't show up. That will be your prize instead of the lecture. I don't have much time so I can only schedule this 1 lecture and you guys all agreed that this time would be good for you. Don't stand me up 🙁

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
12 Dec 06

I got 4 answers so far. Just waiting for Kevin's then I will post the solution and the next puzzle.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
12 Dec 06

Okay all the answers are in but I'm going to sleep.

Anyone else wanna give it a shot? I'll add you to my list if you do, PM your solution, and if you stay on my list I'll give you chess prize 🙂

I'll post the solution tomorrow morning.

H
Renouned Grob Killer

Moves
12 Dec 06

Originally posted by RahimK
[b] Puzzle 1 for game 5. Solve the following problem and PM me your solution within 3 days (1 extra day this time). Prizes to people on my list will be give once again. To stay on the list you must solve the puzzle and send in the solution.

[fen]r1bqk2r/1pp2pbp/n2p1np1/p2Pp3/2P1P3/2NB4/PP2NPPP/R1BQK2R w KQkq - 0 8[/fen]

Black just played 7...Na6. Why did White play 8.f3 and not 8.Be3?
[/b]
I think its because if white plays Be3, he risks losing it (it is his good bishop) with an exchange with the knight, and it also deprives the knight of an advanced support point, and Steinitz rule to defeat knights is to take away their advanced support points

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
12 Dec 06

Do you guys want to read the solutions from other users or do you want me just to give the solution?

The first time I would post the user solutions and then the actual, but i'm not sure if anyone read the user solution and it just took up extra space.

If you want to read the user solutions let me know.