Rahim's Chess Lessons

Rahim's Chess Lessons

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
24 Nov 06

Originally posted by typen
I'm not very familiar with the history of chess. 🙁 It seems fascinating, however.
Morphy is well worth a look if you value beauty over sheer mathematical correctness.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
24 Nov 06

Originally posted by RahimK
Are you kidding?

You never heard of Paul Morphy? You know Paul Morphy!! 🙂

Capablanca, Marshall, Morphy, etc...

As for the other guy, no clue who he is.

Paul Morphy is one of the greatest player from all time. He started playing chess around 19-24, wanted to become a lawyer but he has to wait for his bar exam? So he beat everyone in America, went ...[text shortened]... //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Morphy

Looks like I pretty much nailed that one on the head 🙂
didn't Morphy go mad ? i read that somewhere in a book about Fischer.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
24 Nov 06

Welcome Chess fans to another Chess FM lecture sponsored by ICC. I'm your host, Tony Rook along with GM John Fedorowicz. Welcome John. Thanks, Tony. It great to be hear. Well John, what did see in this game, Morphy played? Tony, I gotta tell ya, you gotta be disappointed in Morphy's play. The guy gives Rook odds and then makes some controversial moves to win the game. His opponent fell for the trap and lost the game from a winning position. Indeed, Indeed, well John, lets get to the game.

Haha, pretty good eh? Hehe, alright enough of that.

Today's game is unique in that Paul Morphy (White) gives Rook odds to his opponent, LeCarpentier (Black). Thus, in the starting position, remove the White rook from a1.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Bc4

This is the King's Pawn opening. White tries to get his pieces out rapidly, castle and start an attack. I don't like talking about openings much but 4...Nf6 is better then the move played by black.

4... Bb4+ 5.c3 dxc3 6.O-O cxb2 7.Bxb2 Attacking the g7 pawn.

So we see that White's is almost full mobolized and his king is safe, while black's king is still in the middle.

7... Bf8 Protecting the g7 pawn. 7...Nf6 is better and prepares the way for castling.

8.e5 Preventing the Black Knight from developing to f6

8...d6 9.Re1
Putting the Rook on an open or half open file is always good especially when the opponents king is on that file. He can feel the pressure.

9...dxe5 Trying to trade the Queen's off. It is usually harder to atack when the Queen's are off the board. The Queen is a great attacking piece. Plus, Black is up a rook so he should trade of material.

10.Nxe5 Qxd1 11.Bxf7+
Forcing the Black King to take a stroll outside.

11... Ke7 12.Ng6++
Rememeber its a double check so the King must move.

12... Kxf7 13.Nxh8# 1-0
And the King is mated. Very unique mating pattern.

Black's moves were not forced, thus he should not have got mate. Your assignment is to find the best move for Black after 11.Bxf7+
In fact Black should have won the game. Don't use a chess program. It's very easy🙂 Good luck.

Black to move. Remeber Black is up a Rook to begin with. 2 days again guys

t

Stormwind City

Moves
25 Nov 06

sent mine in

FL

over there

Moves
25 Nov 06

Sent mine in too.

M

Moves
25 Nov 06

same

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
26 Nov 06

Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
same
You know my policy and since my time Is limited I specified that I will not be helping/reading PM from people not on my list. Reading 17 PM is way to much.

Thus, I remove people who do not answer the homework question to reduce the PM's I have to read and since I did not get an answer from you for puzzles 2 and 3, you have been removed from my list last week.

o

Moves
26 Nov 06

Please add me to the list; oldgenius. Thanks.

h

Moves
26 Nov 06

Is it too late to join the thread? I'm under 1600.

Bel Air, MD

Moves
26 Nov 06

Originally posted by RahimK
From my post on page 1:

Alright I added some more people to the list and I'm just waiting to hear back from 7 more players and we can continue.

Puzzle 1
Kevin Mcfarland
Falco Lombardi
pizzintea
Shinidoki 1
Loki74 1
chesskid001
MoneyMaker 1
corvus
typen 1
huckleberryhound
HandyAndy 1
briancron
ckon1965 1
prenshaw84 1
omulcu ...[text shortened]... . Some were wrong and other were to detailed and wrong but I don't care as long as you tried.
Sorry, tied up at work, continue without me, I'll pick up after this...

corvus

Bel Air, MD

Moves
26 Nov 06

Well, I sent it a bone-headed "solution"....fascinating how easy it is to get tunnel-vision.

Bel Air, MD

Moves
26 Nov 06

Thanks for offering the course, but, after reading all the post here (9 pages worth), I think perhaps I'm better off just playing some games and relying on the training materials I have here.

Perhaps I'll be back when my personal schedule garantees I'll have the time.

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
26 Nov 06

Hey, can you add me to the list? Unfortunately, I found this thread just before this post, then read it and I think it is a great job you're doing. I'm a 1300~

p

Launceston

Moves
26 Nov 06
2 edits

Just sent my solution in! Damn weekends.....

S

Moves
26 Nov 06

Well, If there are people to fill the places, someone can take mine....

while all this is kinda useful, I'm sure there are many in greater need of it.