1. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 02:16
    Before every move, consider the following:

1-Does your opponent have a threat? If so,
    - - - - - - a) Can you counter the threat in an attacking way? (do not be passive)
    - - - - - - b) Is there an "in-betweener" move that can dodge the threat with tempo i.e. with check

2-Can you make any advancing move with tempo? Assess them

3-Is your King safe? Is your enemies'? (Check all checks!)

4-Do you have any hanging pieces or pawns? Does your opponent?

5-Can you gain territory? Look for key squares and try to gain space with (safe) pawn advances
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And like Dogg says, tactics training will help brush up on all of these.
    I recommend using lichess.org - it's free to join and the puzzles there always adapt
    to your strengths (the better you get, the harder they become)

My own method was all of the above, but also with videos and articles thrown in with regards to opening theory,
    and also some valuable insights from good players such as Jerry @ chessnetwork
    Here's one video for example, which showcases checkmate patterns which are useful to know
    YouTube
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 07:03
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    One other thing that popped into my head just now: having been an 1100 player for so long, there are doubtless bad habits that require un-learning. Be on the lookout for them as you go over your lost games, learning from mistakes.
    Having looked at three of your games, my advice is:

1. Learn the rules; the following (resigned) game should have been drawn by perpetual check/3-move repetition:

Game 12168466

2. Unlearn how knights move. They don't move in an "L"; they move in a circle. This will help to avoid getting forked by invading knights:

Game 12170972

Game 12170942
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 08:37
    Originally posted by venda
    The more you play the more you will learn how to spot the traps, cut out your own mistakes and you should improve.
    Over time you will find your natural ability level I've been on here for 7 years and usually live in the mid 1500's so I think 1900 is probably a bit ambitious.
    Before I make a move I go through a few basic steps and I find it helps although I s ...[text shortened]... e on here recommend books to study.I can never be bothered which is possibly why I'm mid 1500 !!
    Venda gave some good advise. I would also add finding a strong player to critique your completed games. It will help you avoid making the same errors over and over.
  4. setlagole
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 10:08
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Possible, with hard work, coaching, and some good books.

Find yourself an opponent, either correspondence or OTB, who is willing to play a lot and analyse games together.

Get two or three solid books on strategy and learn them by heart. There are dozens, not all of them equally good. I would recommend "Chess Strategy" by Ed. Lasker. Others to follow.
    Good advice, thanks a lot.

Tshotsho
  5. setlagole
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 10:12
    Originally posted by mchill
    Venda gave some good advise. I would also add finding a strong player to critique your completed games. It will help you avoid making the same errors over and over.
    Thank you, mchill. I really appreciate all the advice and will do as according to your advices. I believe I will surely improve.

Tshotsho
  6. setlagole
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 10:19
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Before every move, consider the following:

1-Does your opponent have a threat? If so,
    - - - - - - a) Can you counter the threat in an attacking way? (do not be passive)
    - - - - - - b) Is there an "in-betweener" move that can dodge the threat with tempo i.e. with check

2-Can you make any advancing move with tempo? Assess them

3-Is your King ...[text shortened]... ple, which showcases checkmate patterns which are useful to know
    [youtube]rKXGXFhxT3Q[/youtube]
    Oh... my I am asking myself why I did'nt put this OP earliar? Thank you so much 64squaresofpain. I have read all posts and this has even more loads of advices. I am going to make a plan that will onclude all advices from all posts and implement it.

Tshotsho
  7. setlagole
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 10:44
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    I think it is possible to improve very significantly but you have to play slowly enough to engage with your games and be willing to work through your games after they finish. At all levels chess games (and rating points) are lost because players do not fully appreciate possibilities available to their opponent in time to effectively counter them. At the novi ...[text shortened]... don't think you can be told how to play chess well. You kind of have to find out for yourself...
    Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your imput.

Tshotsho
  8. setlagole
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 10:55
    Having looked at three of your games, my advice is:

1. Learn the rules; the following (resigned) game should have been drawn by perpetual check/3-move repetition:

Game 12168466

2. Unlearn how knights move. They don't move in an "L"; they move in a circle. This will help to avoid getting forked by invading knights:

Game 12170972

Game 12170942
    Thanks sir. I will ensure that I don't repeat same mistakes. Thanks a lot. I am really motivated to do better.

Tshotsho
  9. setlagole
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 11:05
    Originally posted by LittleDonkey
    1. Yes
    2. Looking at your games you seem to have a gung ho approach, valiantly charging in going for the kill. This is good on a number of levels, you have fun, you have interesting games, you get some spectacular wins. Then there is the downside, you leave yourself undefended, you sacrifice all your pieces until you have none left and solid players w ...[text shortened]... the blogs here, they are highly informative, very amusing and show mating patterns and pitfalls.
    Yes, I get your point and that ia exacatly what has been happening in my games. Thanks for your advice.

Tshotsho
  10. setlagole
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 11:37
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Castle early, castle often.

Keep castling until you know why you shouldn't.
    But that is just what I am doing in many games.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 14:43
    Originally posted by Tshotsho Khalapa
    Thanks sir. I will ensure that I don't repeat same mistakes. Thanks a lot. I am really motivated to do better.

Tshotsho
    Yes, I earnestly try to make different mistakes every time. 🙂

The fun thing about chess is that one doesn't have to be a great player to have fun at it, and the more fun thing about chess is that the better one gets at it the more fun one can have it. Unless you're World's Champion -- because there's nowhere left to go but down from there.

PS I'm open to a challenge, if you're up to it. (Unrated, but with commentary for free.)
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 15:30
    But that is just what I am doing in many games.
    Do it in all. I just picked one at random and you did not. Here is another like it.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/chess/chess-game-history.php?gameid=12176891
  13. setlagole
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 18:19
    Yes, I earnestly try to make different mistakes every time. 🙂

The fun thing about chess is that one doesn't have to be a great player to have fun at it, and the more fun thing about chess is that the better one gets at it the more fun one can have it. Unless you're World's Champion -- because there's nowhere left to go but down from there.

PS I'm open to a challenge, if you're up to it. (Unrated, but with commentary for free.)
    Oh... thank you so much. I can't wait.

Tshotsho
  14. setlagole
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 18:23
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Do it in all. I just picked one at random and you did not. Here is another like it.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/chess/chess-game-history.php?gameid=12176891
    Yes, sir I get it. I will castle at the earliest opportunity in all my games as one of corrections of my mistakes. Thanks a lot.

Tshotsho
  15. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    27 Apr '17 20:58
    Yes, sir I get it. I will castle at the earliest opportunity in all my games as one of corrections of my mistakes. Thanks a lot.

Tshotsho
    Castling can be dangerous in some positions
    Castling king side is usually best -less space to protect.
    I've got into trouble many times by castling without my knight on f3 /f6

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree