1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 May '17 13:02
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    Some people take a while to get that a pawn that moves forward actually captures diagonally so maybe they have to be reminded. "Don't lose pieces" means bog all if they don't understand the mechanics of how they are doing so.
    I think this guy understands how pawns attack. He can correct me if I'm wrong.

He does have a problem leaving his pieces under attack, just to be taken. Until you internalize the need to protect your pieces, you will always be around 1100.

Of course there will be times to sac pieces, but it needs to be a conscious decision.
  2. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    02 May '17 01:061 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    1. Possible, but not likely.
    2. Play fewer games and think longer on moves and play people somewhat better than you. Quality over quantity.
    3. Go over your lost games and identify and learn from mistakes.
    4. Do tactics training at any of the many sites online that offer it.
    I am doing 2 and 4, but still it seems I have the same level (around 1400 Red HotPawn)

I think chess players at some point in life hit 'The Wall'
  3. setlagole
    Moves
    02 May '17 03:48
    Originally posted by Schlecter
    I am doing 2 and 4, but still it seems I have the same level (around 1400 Red HotPawn)

Do you think I have hit the wall at only 1100? I have been adviced what to do to go up. Lets see if this will work, right? So, I am going to implement what I have been adviced to do and I am hopeful that if there are are no lifes hurdles that disturbs me I will be around 1900 this time bext year.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 May '17 16:08
    Originally posted by Tshotsho Khalapa
    Do you think I have hit the wall at only 1100? I have been adviced what to do to go up. Lets see if this will work, right? So, I am going to implement what I have been adviced to do and I am hopeful that if there are are no lifes hurdles that disturbs me I will be around 1900 this time bext year.
    700 rating points in one year would be rather remarkable.

Most people would be happy with 100, 200 would be unusual.

You'll need to spend much time working tactics. Tactics, tactics, tactics.

Then spend as much time looking at the board in a game each move as you do trying to figure out a tactic you can't see.
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    02 May '17 18:42
    There's more than one 'wall' for most people. I learned in stages too, and for most people learning to crawl before walking before running is a natural (and normal) progression.

Winning a few games was the only encouragement I needed to play better. I first learned to play when I was 12, but lost nearly every game I played until I was in my early 30s... after that I was eager to learn more and improve.
  6. Joined
    10 Sep '16
    Moves
    02 May '17 18:59
    Originally posted by Eladar
    700 rating points in one year would be rather remarkable.

Most people would be happy with 100, 200 would be unusual.

You'll need to spend much time working tactics. Tactics, tactics, tactics.

Then spend as much time looking at the board in a game each move as you do trying to figure out a tactic you can't see.
    Yes, I will do that. I am presently not working. I have time to do tactics. I have realised that I can reach 1300 this year. I have been shown where my weaknesses are and my major mistakes and also to think things through before making a move. I am trying to do that. I use to play fast, you can ask all my opponents. So, I have been adviced to have few games and take it slow. I use to play only one day, n/ a timebank because I was always fast and as a results failed to protect my pieces. Thank you for your advice. I do get your point that it will not be easy to improve by 700 points in a year. Yes, you are right. But that, my friend, is my target.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 May '17 19:22
    Originally posted by Schlecter

You can't leave 3 out if you want to make any progress.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 May '17 23:39
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You can't leave 3 out if you want to make any progress.
    As you get better, you can actually see your mistakes.

Putting your games into a computer so the computer can point out your mistakes could be useful. Of course if are like I was, you might have problems doing that.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 May '17 01:18
    I think it might have been mentioned, but it bears mentioning again...

You need to memorize mating nets. GP thinks it is very important, and I'm inclined to believe him. Of course you should run into quite a few doing tactics puzzles.
  10. Standard memberMoxlonibus
    Horror fan
    North by Northwest
    Moves
    03 May '17 03:26
    ROTF... Lesson learned years ago, a friend of mine always had the upper hand in our games. I then noticed that he castled king side early and the tables turned.
  11. Standard memberMoxlonibus
    Horror fan
    North by Northwest
    Moves
    03 May '17 03:36
    I pin an "Analyze Board" link to my Pinterest account so I can have a quick access library of games to learn from.
  12. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    03 May '17 04:02
    There was a man here in redhotpawn that wrote a blog about his 'path' to arrive to 1800. (started at 1500)
    Pretty interesting and.... painful:
    http://burncastleburn.blogspot.ca/ by wormwood
  13. e4
    Moves
    03 May '17 11:531 edit

Hi Moonbus,

First of all please forgive me for interrupting and butting in.

I know you are playing the O.P. and giving comments and possibly giving
    him chances but in this game.Game 12188242 there was a real lesson for him.

A feel the burn position.

White played 12.Re7+ OK it will do. But 12.Nxh8 would have been my move.

Tshotsho this is what happens to people who do not castle and fart-ass about in the opening.

The d-pawn is pinned, the e7 Bishop is pinned, the f7 Knight is pinned. White
    is going to play Qxf7 mate and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Black is being King-Pinned from both flanks and the centre. You cannot do v a castled King.

Tshotsho Print out that position, post it on your wall and write underneath it in red felt tipped pen.

"NEVER AGAIN!"

Invest in an opening book (you are allowed to use them) Not on a specific opening,
    too soon for that. One that gives a brief overview of all openings. 'The Mammoth Book
    of Chess.' is perfect for this. It usually gives a tactical and positional game and uncovers
    any common traps that lay hidden in that opening. This will get you to a playable middle game.

Tactically you seem alert enough but often lead with your chin by leaving
    your King exposed and you get scudded. Cut your games to 6, play only
    under 1400 players and soon you will punishing the errors you use to make.

14. setlagole
    Moves
    03 May '17 15:35
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [b]

Hi Moonbus,

First of all please forgive me for interrupting and butting in.

I know you are playing the O.P. and giving comments and possibly giving
    him chances but in this game.Game 12188242 there was a real lesson for him.

A feel the burn position.

[fen]r1bqk2r/1pppbn1p/p4pN1/7Q/B7/8/PPP2PPP/RNB1R1K1 w kq - 0 12[/fen]
    W ...[text shortened]...
    under 1400 players and soon you will punishing the errors you use to make.

[/b]
    Thank you so much greenpawn34. I feel very much pleased to read your advices. I will do what you suggested. I was so fascinated by your analysis of lemondrop game. I am telling you, your analysis of that particular game gave me hope and courage. Thank you for your most entertaining and inspiring blog.

Cheers

Tshotsho
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 May '17 21:32
     Tshotsho Khalapa and I have just finished a game begun for the purpose of assessing what he sees and then offering him some practical advice which he can implement.  Tshotsho Khalapa has kindly consented to my publishing the game here with our in-game messages and some additional notes by me; perhaps this will be useful to some other players in roughly the same rating band.

Items for an 1100 player's mental checklist.

1. Look for pieces (incl. pawns) which are en prise (hanging, attacked and either undefended or insufficiently defended). Your own as well as your opponent’s. If your opponent is leaving pieces hanging, think twice before you take: is it a trap, a free piece, or is he going to get it back easily? But SEE that it can be taken, and see when your own pieces are hanging. (As one poster put it, stop giving away pieces, and your rating will jump 300 points).

2. Get your king to safety. Generally, this means castling. There are exceptions but they are rare. Generally, castling king-side is safer than castling queen-side because there are fewer squares to defend, thus requiring fewer pieces to defend them in addition to the king himself. (Other posters here have mentioned this already.)

2a. Corollary: don’t weaken your king position. Generally, the square KB2 (f2 for White, f7 for Black) is critical. Guard it well!

3. Many posters have said this umpteen thousand times before, but I’ll say it again anyway: check all checks. Both yours and your opponent’s.

3a. Corollary: check all discovered checks.
    3b. Corollary: check all double checks.
    3c. Corollary: check all smothered checks.
    3d. Corollary: keep checking all checks until no check escapes your notice. No check should ever surprise you again, ever!

These items should go through your mind before you make a move, every time, until they become automatic, unconscious, instinct, second nature, as natural as seeing that a pawn moves forwards and a bishop moves diagonally.

When you hit 1400 - 1450, post again; you’ll be ready for the next barrage of mental checklist items. In the meantime, feel free to post games for group analysis; 120 eyes see more than two.

Cheers,
    moonbus

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree