1. Canada
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 19:471 edit
    OTB 2060
    RHP 1980 (but jumps all over the place due to game load)
    difference of 80
    I personally think my rating here should be around 1950-2000 if i was more consistent, and my game load was lower...
    Its hard to judge blitz ratings, some days your on, others your not...mine at ICC jumps from 1800 to 2200...
  2. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 20:16
    My rating is considerably higher on RHP than in OTB chess, about 350-400 points. I attribute that to the mistakes I make under time pressure OTB, which are cut down drastically on RHP because there really is no time pressure in CC. I know that on RHP I am able to work out some complicated lines that I otherwise cannot do OTB, simply because I have lots of time to do so here.
  3. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 20:26
    When I first joined RHP, I was told there was very little correlation between this rating system and other national and international Elo rating systems. However, for what it's worth, my RHP and FIDE ratings have been within 25 points or so of each other for quite a long time now. Don't know if that means anything or just coincidence.
  4. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 20:30
    CC: 1600
    OTB: ~ 1300-1450

I think it has alot to do with which type of chess you learned / concentrate more intensely.
  5. USA
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 20:42
    I think that the differences between the two ratings can be misleading, especially for people who aren't subscribers. For example, I had a big jump in USCF points and went from 1200 to about 1500 in 5 months. However, since I can only play 6 games on here, it took a long time for my RHP rating to catch up. Right now, since my USCF rating has stagnated, the gap has closed, but before it was 300 or more points.

Current USCF 1654
    Current RHP 1505

Difference 149
  6. Joined
    23 Sep '07
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 01:11
    RHP = 1626 currently
    OTB = n/a

zOMG!!! a difference of 1626!
    My OTB experience is summed up in playing family/friends
  7. Standard membereagleeye222001
    Eye rival to Saurons
    Land of 64 Squares
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 04:40
    RHP: 1700
    USCF: 1658

Difference: 42 points.

Although I had a poor tournament recently. Over the past month or two I have been within 25 points several times.
  8. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 04:541 edit
    I just started playing in a chess club and some of the guys rated less than 1800 are slaughtering me in ways that 1800 players on RHP never do.

I think it comes down to experience. We play 15min blitz games at this club, and I'm terrible at blitz because it's not something I have much experience with. If you'd have plenty of experience in all areas of chess, then I suspect your level of play would be more consistent and your ratings would reflect this.

And the funny thing about ratings is that even if calculations among different systems are identical, they still only tell you how you rate against the opponents you have played. Ratings are RELATIVE, not ABSOLUTE. The larger the sample, the more consistent it's likely to be, but I think it's entirely possible for two amateurs living in different parts of the world to have simular ratings but have very different chess abilities.

For example, if you only play people rated 1600-1700 at the most because of limitations of where you live or whatever, you're going to have to play a helluva lot of games to get a 2300 rating.
  9. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 05:25
    One more thing. Because RHP is such a large open and fluid community, I think the ratings here really are meaningful how you compare against the rest of the world in chess.
  10. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '08 18:501 edit
    For the record, I have the following:

ECF: 122
    ELO: 1576
    RHP: 1826
    FICS(blitz): 1456
    FICS(std): 1863

The 1576 has just be translated from 122, no matches have been counted yet. The ECF gives 2 formulae at:
    http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/help.php#elo
    The other formula gives FIDE: 1860.

So take your pick: +250 or -34.

Gezza
    edit: added FICS
  11. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 04:25
    My OTB rating is around 2100 - a little less on FIDE, a little more on my national federation. Here and in FICS, it usually floats between 1700 and 1800, though it's been closed to the latter lately.

I have a lot of trouble with focus and discipline when it comes to online chess. It seems I'm unable to get really competitive when my opponent isn't sitting right in front of me
  12. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 07:11
    maybe now someone should make some statistics, some average, min and max, maybe it will help drawing some conclusion about the 600+ rating difference in OTBvs RHP
  13. Joined
    28 Mar '08
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 10:59
    There is a simple reason for why internet ratings are often badly inflated - one gets to choose who one's opponents are. I won't go into the mechanics of the statistical system and its flaws, but suffice it to say that the elo system isn't perfect, and in particular players who only play higher or same-rated people will tend toward a higher rating, since a lower-rated person has a higher chance to win than the elo system assumes he has (the correlation between skill and chance to win is non-linear, and elo assumes it is linear). In any case, this is why one regularly sees players with 3000+ ratings on ICC and other systems, where one doesn't see this OTB, since OTB one is often in tournaments playing significantly lower-rated players. (e.g. Garry Kasparov can not simply play the top 10 rated players all the time, he sometimes ends up against 2200 rated players, who sometimes win or draw, and pull his rating down...
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 15:471 edit
    Originally posted by Kibbick
    There is a simple reason for why internet ratings are often badly inflated...
    they're not inflated, they're just different. every rating pool has a metric of its own, depending on the initial values, formulas, population and point in time, and it's never even linear. the rulers are just fundamentally incomparable.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 22:14
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    When I first joined RHP, I was told there was very little correlation between this rating system and other national and international Elo rating systems. However, for what it's worth, my RHP and FIDE ratings have been within 25 points or so of each other for quite a long time now. Don't know if that means anything or just coincidence.
    i think it has more to do with the quality of players you play with. At the level you play at Northern, you already know most of the players you play with, you know their legitimacy and OTB is the same, you know their legitimacy. Your playing with players, who very likely can beat most PC engines or at least pull a draw out rather often. So without engines creating rating inflation and deflation at your level, I think perhaps your rating may be closer to truth, as you play with honest, strong opponents.

I'll be playing in your group here in a few months just to let you know 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree