1. Joined
    09 Oct '08
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 03:28
    Okay the position in this game is clearly a draw. But my opponent refuses to accept one. And there is no where to move. Since the pawns prevent any movement. What should I do? I don't think this is appropriate. Game 5586608
  2. Joined
    25 Mar '07
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 03:31
    At the risk of commenting on a game in progress....

there is the "40 moves without a capture" rule
  3. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 03:58
    isn't it 50?
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 07:06
    Originally posted by Zhong Guo
    Okay the position in this game is clearly a draw. But my opponent refuses to accept one. And there is no where to move. Since the pawns prevent any movement. What should I do? I don't think this is appropriate. Game 5586608
    I understand your problem. You may wish to contact Red Hot Pawn and ask there advise in this situation. In the meantime I'd keep playing! Don't let this ill mannered person defeat you.
    😏
  5. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 08:31
    >It certainly is a draw and your opponent is indeed ill-mannered by continuing to play it out and declining a draw offer, but he does have a right to play on.
    >That's one reason why there is the 50-move rule. Eventually it must kick in, so just keep playng and keep an eye on the scoresheet and claim the draw once 50 moves have been made without a capture or a pawn move.
    >After that, add the opponent to your avoid list. In fact, add him right now.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 08:43
    Now I don't comment any game in progress. This is only information about rules, and how they are applied here at RHP:

Yes, there is a 50-move rule. If no pawn has moved, if no pieces have been taken, if a castling has not been done within 50 moves, there is a ground for 'claim a draw'. This draw is accepted automatically by the system, no involvement by your opponent.

There is also a position repetition rule. If a certain same position repeats itself 3 times there is also ground for 'claim a draw' as described above. Note that these three positions don't need to be in a row, they can be many moves in between.

None of these moves is done automatically, you have to 'claim draw'. If the draw is correct, then you get it without further qeustions by the system nor your opponent.
  7. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 08:54
    Your opponent has the right to play on, and given the blunders (on both sides) made before in the game, he can even hope on winning! If you can't convince him to accept draw (if that's what you want), then just play on within the rules (50 moves, repetition, ...).
  8. Dublin
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 10:24
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Yes, there is a 50-move rule. If no pawn has moved, if no pieces have been taken, if a castling has not been done within 50 moves, there is a ground for 'claim a draw'.
    I've never heard of castling being included in the 50 move rule, just captures and pawn moves.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 10:40
    Originally posted by Schumi
    I've never heard of castling being included in the 50 move rule, just captures and pawn moves.
    You're right. Castling is not included in the 50-move-rule. Sorry.

But it is in the repetition rule...
  10. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 14:43
    Offer him a draw on every single move for the rest of the game. He should get the hint after a while.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 15:58
    Originally posted by Zhong Guo
    One of the advantages of subscribing is that you don't have to bother about finishing games like this because you can just start as many as you would like.

Think about it. 🙂
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 17:43
    I guess we really shouldn't comment, but if there's ever a candidate for the exception to the GIP rule, it's this. Unless white moves the f pawn there is no possibility of either side winning, but I guess white could move the f pawn, so it's white's right to play on.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 18:06
    I don't know if this is a no no but white could have done better on move 39... but yeah this is a draw.
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 18:07
    Originally posted by sh76
    I guess we really shouldn't comment, but if there's ever a candidate for the exception to the GIP rule, it's this. Unless white moves the f pawn there is no possibility of either side winning, but I guess white could move the f pawn, so it's white's right to play on.
    White is the one offering draws.
  15. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    31 Oct '08 20:02
    I would just play it. Of course we can't comment but you can ask after the game and you might get a different response. It's his/her right to play until the rules of chess force a finish. If you subscribe you could just play it out and have plenty of more games to keep you busy.
    Good Luck.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree