1. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 17:37
    Thanks, i can see its largly down to my stle,i am a postional player,who do you sugest the fench/
  2. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 17:42
    Originally posted by mipmcpt
    Thanks, i can see its largly down to my stle,i am a postional player,who do you sugest the fench/
    well 1...e6 is usually positional. 1...e5 can be positional but it depends on white. 1...c5 can be positional as well. If you want to force positional play then the french defence is probably a good choice.
  3. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 17:43
    Also check out the caro-kann. I think both defenses cater to a more positional style. Both are very different though. With the french you tend to get more closed and complex positions. With the caro, it's a bit more straightforward. Not as active as the French, but is more difficult for White to play against.
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 17:53
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    well 1...e6 is usually positional. 1...e5 can be positional but it depends on white. 1...c5 can be positional as well. If you want to force positional play then the french defence is probably a good choice.
    I agree. I'd also add that while some opening have tendencies to be positional or tactical, etc., it's dangerous for a player to become too stereotypical.

For example, I'm mainly a Caro-Kann player and I've lost games because I tried too much to keep the position as a "Caro-Kann type" position. Sometimes it is necessary to be flexible. Every position needs to be treated individually in order to spot the exceptions from the typical play.

So my general comment is, know the opening ideas but play the position.
  5. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 18:39
    thanks for everones responses, i am going to begin with c5 for a while!!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 18:41
    I kinda like e5 ... so many traps can come from that opening, plus the tactics are fun, and fairly straighforward.
  7. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 19:04
    Good luck with that...there are many variations and they each can become very, very complex depending on the lines. I would recommend the Najdorf for starters and go from there. This plays as:

e4, c5, Nf3, d6, d4, cxd4, Nxd4, Nf6, Nc3, and then a6.
  8. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 19:08
    1.e4 c5 is one of the more complex openings. White has a variety of options, many involve Nf3 and d4, you should not let the d-pawn pass.

It would help you greatly to do some studying on this opening.
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 19:30
    Since nobody has mentioned it, why not the Pirc? It's sound enough (See APB or MotownDave) and play can be positional if you want it - though there are tactical lines that may or may not be avoidable - as with any opening. It's worth a look anyhow, and since you claim to be positional it's what I'd recommend, otherwise it'd be the Dragon.
  10. Under ur ChessBoard!
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 19:41
    Also 1...d5 is a solid choice and low amount of theory compared to the other openings
  11. Joined
    26 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 19:581 edit
    Originally posted by Spacetime
    Everybody's going to give you a different answer, but my opinion is start with e5 for a while to get a feel for good opening principles (you will learn a lot about basic tactics and different positional ideas).

After you have a feel for the basics with the e5 lines, you can graduate to the Sicilian with the more advanced (but more powerful) ideas.

Please don't play the French!
    I don't know about that, I'm relatively new to this and I started with 1...e5. Then I got bored with the Italian game so I started playing with other things. I had seen that the Sicilian was a popular response, so I looked it up - it has something like two hundred (I can't remember what I counted at the time, but it was ridiculous) pages in the current edition of MCO and that's not something that could be daunting for a beginner (it was for me.) So, I'm currently messing around with the French with varying results against people of approximately my strength.

Although, having said that, I still hate facing the Sicilian as white and will probably give it a look here in the near future.
  12. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 20:28
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Since nobody has mentioned it, why not the Pirc? It's sound enough (See APB or MotownDave) and play can be positional if you want it - though there are tactical lines that may or may not be avoidable - as with any opening. It's worth a look anyhow, and since you claim to be positional it's what I'd recommend, otherwise it'd be the Dragon.
    I was thinking of mentioning this (1...d6) but wasn't sure about it.

Its worth a look for sure.
  13. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 22:27
    thanks,i have decided on the Najdorf variation, what are the major principles behind this openning?
  14. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 22:31
    Play 1...g5 and all your problems will be solved 😀
  15. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 22:34
    Originally posted by Korch
    Play 1...g5 and all your problems will be solved 😀
    😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree