c5, the Sicillian Defence

and more...
    e5 2.Nf3 f5! Latvian Gambit
    Nf6, Alekhine Defense
    😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲
  3. washington
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 22:42
    Nadjorf!!! although its more of an attacking opening on both sides rather than a positional game. more tactics i'd say. if your a positional player you could play the pirc and aim to get a kings indian game instead. or a ruy lopez game.
  4. Out To Lunch
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 22:46
    e6 is actually a good move. i like the french defense alot myself. u can also try the scandinavian (center counter) with d5.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 22:51
    Originally posted by mipmcpt
    thanks,i have decided on the Najdorf variation, what are the major principles behind this openning?
    Woah, I'd be careful with it...you CAN'T play that on principles alone - that's about as theoretically intense as it gets (minus the Dragon and Velimirovic).
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 22:52
    Originally posted by kmac27
    Nadjorf!!! although its more of an attacking opening on both sides rather than a positional game. more tactics i'd say. if your a positional player you could play the pirc and aim to get a kings indian game instead. or a ruy lopez game.
    Pirc seems like a good choice for him, though the Austrian Attack is quite sharp.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 22:52
    g5 what openning is that??
    The Borg, it's total trash - Korch said it in jest.
  8. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 23:35
    I do play the KID so may be the Pirc would fit in there! Mind you i do not know that at all!! What do you like about the Pirc?
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 23:52
    I do play the KID so may be the Pirc would fit in there! Mind you i do not know that at all!! What do you like about the Pirc?
    I like to try to play it against 1.d4. I generally like the attacks black gets down the queenside and against the big white center.
  10. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    15 Mar '07 23:524 edits
    TO START, play 1.d6 - good to stop white pawn advance.

From there, I like to fianchetto bishop, attack white's center &/or queen side, and castle / protect king.

And note. I don't know if you're a beginner but here's 2 rules to follow.
    A) Develope! Even more important than taking free pieces!!!! Why? Game 3047276 He failed to open his kingside pawns, developed only 3 pieces, and even doubled pawns.

B) When attacking, really try NOT to throw pieces (especially Queen!) undefended. Plan your attack to have all pieces well defended (ex, moving your knight to be protected by the bishop &/or pawn.)
    Why - - if you leave pieces unguarded, it allows your opponent to use pins, forks, etc, more efficiently and he has more opportunity.

So 2 GREAT rules to try to follow. Developement is what Openings do.

***CMS' comment above is the prime reason I use the Pirc.
    * You need to know chess well to play the French. Study it before you use it as opening repertoire.
  11. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 05:23
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    The Borg, it's total trash - Korch said it in jest.
    I would not call it trash but its very risky and definetly NOT FOR BEGINNERS!
  12. Joined
    19 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 05:37
    Sicilian Kan

1.e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd 4. Nxd a6
  13. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 08:24
    So,if i got this right,the Nadjorf is not really for begginers! i see myself more od an intermiate standard,averaging 1400-1450 rating.
    The reason i thought that the Nadjorf would be the openning i would start to adopt in response to whites E4 was that looking at stats etc the sicillian seems to be really more succsful !

What are peoples thoughts.
    I see the is a Nadjorf tournement coming up on rhp as well, i thought that will give me some practice with the openning!!
    I am now having seccons thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 08:301 edit
    What do people play? i am creating a repetoire to play! as black What do people like and find effective?
    1. ... g5 (The Borg) obviously!

Edit: Oh dear, just read through all the posting and found Korch got here 1st. Well Korch and I cannot both be wrong.

Meanwhile on a more serious note my style tends towards wild (often unsound) tactics and I almost always play 1. e4. When my opponents reply 1. ... e5 or 1. ... c5 I am in heaven as I get to play some wild lines. When they play 1. ... c6 or 1. ... e6 I (used to) get frustrated as it just did not suit my style and I attacked too early often with devastating consequences for white. Lately I have purchases a few new books and these are helping me delay and get on top of these 2 frustrating openings.

I don't face 1. ... d6 often enough to have a firm opinion on its soundness for black. Many GMs play it but I like the space white gets. Similarly I will play the 4 pawns attack against Alekines and enjoy my space.
  15. Standard membermipmcpt
    manchester clan
    manchester
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 08:53
    Thanks for thary especially as you nearly always play E4 !!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree