1. Joined
    07 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 May '07 22:11
    I'm a new player, losing every game I've played so far. A rule I don't understand:

- when a piece reaches the opposite end of the board, what happens? I understand that you can get a piece back (I assume everyone would choose a queen?) but what if you haven't lost any pieces to your opponent?

I don't understand how this works....?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 May '07 22:141 edit
    The pawn may promote to any piece except a King when it reaches the eighth rank. It is not dependent upon which of your pieces may already have been captured.

No other piece can promote in this way except a pawn.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 May '07 22:14
    Originally posted by Savate
    I'm a new player, losing every game I've played so far. A rule I don't understand:

- when a piece reaches the opposite end of the board, what happens? I understand that you can get a piece back (I assume everyone would choose a queen?) but what if you haven't lost any pieces to your opponent?

I don't understand how this works....?
    You can still take any piece you'd like. It's possible to have more than 1 queen, more than 2 knights, etc. at any given time.
  4. Joined
    07 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 May '07 22:16
    I guess what I mean to ask is...

-are only pawns subject to this rule

- where do you get the extra pieces from? If you haven't lost any pieces, what do you use? Coins?
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 May '07 22:281 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    03 May '07 22:29

- where do you get the extra pieces from? If you haven't lost any pieces, what do you use? Coins?
    I have 9 chess sets so I have enough spare queens.
  7. USA
    Moves
    03 May '07 22:32

I doubt even the worst opponent would not capture a single piece... however, if that ever does occur, you can always flip the pawn sideways...
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    03 May '07 22:36

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    03 May '07 22:43
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It is generally accepted that an upside-down rook is a queen... but yes, if you have no pieces you'd have to find some other inanimate object to substitue... a coin would work.
  10. Standard memberIan709
    In the learning
    Southern California
    Moves
    03 May '07 23:43
    A lot of tournament sets nowadays are sold with an extra queen. If your opponent actually lets you reach a position where you can actually use it, he probably shouldn't be playing in a tournament (unless you both manage to promote a pawn or something and reach a 4 queen middlegame, which couldn't happened at one point during the last world championship match. But they traded the pawns off at the last moment 🙁)
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 May '07 00:08
    Originally posted by Ian709
    A lot of tournament sets nowadays are sold with an extra queen. If your opponent actually lets you reach a position where you can actually use it, he probably shouldn't be playing in a tournament (unless you both manage to promote a pawn or something and reach a 4 queen middlegame, which couldn't happened at one point during the last world championship match. But they traded the pawns off at the last moment 🙁)
    Hey, we need all the tournament players we can get! I'd never discourage someone from entering a tournament because he might allow his opponent to get multiple queens in a game. Besides, those games can be fun to watch. 🙂
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 May '07 02:51
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Hey, we need all the tournament players we can get! I'd never discourage someone from entering a tournament because he might allow his opponent to get multiple queens in a game. Besides, those games can be fun to watch. 🙂
    would they be fun to watch? The majority of them would end in four moves, five if the patzer is white: 1. e4 2. Bc4 3. Qh5 you know the rest
  13. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 May '07 03:011 edit
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    would they be fun to watch? The majority of them would end in four moves, five if the patzer is white: 1. e4 2. Bc4 3. Qh5 you know the rest
    Yeah, we're not talking strong players here. But did you read the thread? We were discussing more than one queen to a side, which simply can't be done in 4 or 5 moves.

Edit - It seems Yugo and I were talking apples and oranges. I meant the games with multiple queens might be fun to watch, where I guess Yugo was thinking of games in general by beginning players. So whatever...
  14. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 May '07 03:32
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Yeah, we're not talking strong players here. But did you read the thread? We were discussing more than one queen to a side, which simply can't be done in 4 or 5 moves.

Edit - It seems Yugo and I were talking apples and oranges. I meant the games with multiple queens might be fun to watch, where I guess Yugo was thinking of games in general by beginning players. So whatever...
    Oh, well in that case...

I'm sure that a four queen middlegame would be a lot of fun to watch, especially at GM level

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree