Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 03 May '07 22:11
    I'm a new player, losing every game I've played so far. A rule I don't understand:

    - when a piece reaches the opposite end of the board, what happens? I understand that you can get a piece back (I assume everyone would choose a queen?) but what if you haven't lost any pieces to your opponent?

    I don't understand how this works....?
  2. 03 May '07 22:14 / 1 edit
    The pawn may promote to any piece except a King when it reaches the eighth rank. It is not dependent upon which of your pieces may already have been captured.

    No other piece can promote in this way except a pawn.
  3. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    03 May '07 22:14
    Originally posted by Savate
    I'm a new player, losing every game I've played so far. A rule I don't understand:

    - when a piece reaches the opposite end of the board, what happens? I understand that you can get a piece back (I assume everyone would choose a queen?) but what if you haven't lost any pieces to your opponent?

    I don't understand how this works....?
    You can still take any piece you'd like. It's possible to have more than 1 queen, more than 2 knights, etc. at any given time.
  4. 03 May '07 22:16
    I guess what I mean to ask is...

    -are only pawns subject to this rule

    - where do you get the extra pieces from? If you haven't lost any pieces, what do you use? Coins?
  5. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    03 May '07 22:29
    Originally posted by Savate
    I guess what I mean to ask is...

    -are only pawns subject to this rule

    - where do you get the extra pieces from? If you haven't lost any pieces, what do you use? Coins?
    I have 9 chess sets so I have enough spare queens.
  6. 03 May '07 22:32
    Originally posted by Savate
    I guess what I mean to ask is...

    -are only pawns subject to this rule

    - where do you get the extra pieces from? If you haven't lost any pieces, what do you use? Coins?
    I doubt even the worst opponent would not capture a single piece... however, if that ever does occur, you can always flip the pawn sideways...
  7. 03 May '07 22:43
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It is generally accepted that an upside-down rook is a queen... but yes, if you have no pieces you'd have to find some other inanimate object to substitue... a coin would work.
  8. Standard member Ian709
    In the learning
    03 May '07 23:43
    A lot of tournament sets nowadays are sold with an extra queen. If your opponent actually lets you reach a position where you can actually use it, he probably shouldn't be playing in a tournament (unless you both manage to promote a pawn or something and reach a 4 queen middlegame, which couldn't happened at one point during the last world championship match. But they traded the pawns off at the last moment )
  9. 04 May '07 00:08
    Originally posted by Ian709
    A lot of tournament sets nowadays are sold with an extra queen. If your opponent actually lets you reach a position where you can actually use it, he probably shouldn't be playing in a tournament (unless you both manage to promote a pawn or something and reach a 4 queen middlegame, which couldn't happened at one point during the last world championship match. But they traded the pawns off at the last moment )
    Hey, we need all the tournament players we can get! I'd never discourage someone from entering a tournament because he might allow his opponent to get multiple queens in a game. Besides, those games can be fun to watch.
  10. 04 May '07 02:51
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Hey, we need all the tournament players we can get! I'd never discourage someone from entering a tournament because he might allow his opponent to get multiple queens in a game. Besides, those games can be fun to watch.
    would they be fun to watch? The majority of them would end in four moves, five if the patzer is white: 1. e4 2. Bc4 3. Qh5 you know the rest
  11. 04 May '07 03:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    would they be fun to watch? The majority of them would end in four moves, five if the patzer is white: 1. e4 2. Bc4 3. Qh5 you know the rest
    Yeah, we're not talking strong players here. But did you read the thread? We were discussing more than one queen to a side, which simply can't be done in 4 or 5 moves.

    Edit - It seems Yugo and I were talking apples and oranges. I meant the games with multiple queens might be fun to watch, where I guess Yugo was thinking of games in general by beginning players. So whatever...
  12. 04 May '07 03:32
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Yeah, we're not talking strong players here. But did you read the thread? We were discussing more than one queen to a side, which simply can't be done in 4 or 5 moves.

    Edit - It seems Yugo and I were talking apples and oranges. I meant the games with multiple queens might be fun to watch, where I guess Yugo was thinking of games in general by beginning players. So whatever...
    Oh, well in that case...

    I'm sure that a four queen middlegame would be a lot of fun to watch, especially at GM level