Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Sep '07 22:16
    ......how'd you know?
  2. Joined
    29 Sep '06
    Moves
    03 Sep '07 22:31
    I think chrspayn has a point- don't forget you're an amateur playing against someone near your level (I'm assuming). The simple reason certain lines are played at club level is that players understand and win with them. The fact that a particular gambit can be refuted isn't really relevant if the person across from you doesn't know how to get an advantage from it. I thought the youngster I talked to who played the Lopez exchange whenever allowed had a perfectly decent approach- learn a line well that his scholastic opponents would often follow, like e4e5 Nf3Nc6 Bb5a6, and work his advantage.
    Play (or better yet, watch)a simul with a strong player and you'll often see the master playing a line that will weed out weaker players quickly-a line they wouldn't try against an equal opponent.
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 15:39
    Originally posted by Korch
    Look at DBs and you will see that many GMs disagree with your opinion.
    I am not about to get into a z00t rant about this as, of course, the Exchange is playable and, of course, white can and does win with it but I am sure you will agree that our "mickey mouse" openings are sharp, aggressive and begging for a result compared to the Exchange. One plays a KG looking for wild play and a sure fire result and the Exchange looking for the opposite although both types of opening have their places and neither is refuted.

The Exchange is solid but in moving his B twice so soon in the game and giving it up for a knight white does concede equality rather too early in my opinion.
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 19:23
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    The Exchange is solid but in moving his B twice so soon in the game and giving it up for a knight white does concede equality rather too early [b]in my opinion.[/b]
    Moving B twice compensates with better pawn structure
  5. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 19:371 edit
    I kind of dislike it on the black side because I always felt white had the initiative for a long time afterwards and good structures for an end-game, whereas black is forced to unleash those bishops and get something going. And, if the a6 pawn was back at a7, it would be a HUGE different IMHO, because battling the knights is then fair easier. It's really hard to call white anything but a solid looking position.

If I really have to pick, I prefer white.. even if I prefer other variations of the lopez for both sides (I usually disallow it by playing the Berlin, Bxc6 then gives white nothing). With white I prefer playing fischer-style in closed lopez positions.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 19:48
    Originally posted by Golub
    I kind of dislike it on the black side because I always felt white had the initiative for a long time afterwards and good structures for an end-game, whereas black is forced to unleash those bishops and get something going. And, if the a6 pawn was back at a7, it would be a HUGE different IMHO, because battling the knights is then fair easier. It's really hard ...[text shortened]... then gives white nothing). With white I prefer playing fischer-style in closed lopez positions.
    I'm brutal with any Ruy variation on either side. KG and the Italian for me.
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 19:56
    Obviously, presumably the whole point behind it.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 20:00
    Obviously, presumably the whole point behind it.
    But what about all the total beginners who see this as a free pawn? lol. I'm so surprised how many people in the 1600's still play this opening and then take the "unprotected" pawn.
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 20:15
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    But what about all the total beginners who see this as a free pawn? lol. I'm so surprised how many people in the 1600's still play this opening and then take the "unprotected" pawn.
    Qe4! with 67% of games played being won by black.
  10. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 20:16
    Qe4! with 67% of games played being won by black.
    Qg5 is also possible if you want to keep the queens on.
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 20:17
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    Qg5 is also possible if you want to keep the queens on.
    Not quite as good results with only about 60% of games being decided in blacks favour.
  12. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 20:19
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    I'm sure they learn fairly quickly how "unprotected" the e-pawn really is. 😉
  13. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 20:24
    Not quite as good results with only about 60% of games being decided in blacks favour.
    If winning percentages reflect the correctness of moves, 1. Na3 would be winning and I would reply 1. ..h5 to 1. e4.
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 20:33
    Originally posted by schakuhr
    If winning percentages reflect the correctness of moves, 1. Na3 would be winning and I would reply 1. ..h5 to 1. e4.
    Even better after 1. h4 play 2. g4 where my results show 100% success as white.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer/index.php?movelist=h2h4&flip=0&co=w&u=253540&c=-1

A perfect opening.
  15. The Hague
    Moves
    04 Sep '07 22:42
    Obviously does, but then again, doesn't the bishop pair compensate for that a bit?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree