1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 12:57
    I am interested what would improve my OTB game more, chess tactics server, with lot of problems, less difficult but with time limit, or taking a book with more difficult problems but doing slow chess tactics, and analyzing maybe 5 positions per day, but more difficult, and with real effort while doing it. My goal is to be good standard OTB player, not blitz!

Opinions?
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 13:011 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 13:13
    fast tactics (CTS) to improve your ability to spot tactics.

slow tactics (books, CT-ART etc.) to improve your ability to calculate correctly.

both are equally important for OTB, but here calculation isn't as crucial, as you can take your time to verify everything. but if you can't spot a tactic, you can't calculate it either.
  4. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 13:17
    Simple puzzles (5-10 s) focus on instant recognition, seeing if certain simple tactic works. There is no time (sometimes even need) to calculate variations so it is obvious that these exercises don't allow you to build up your "calculation muscle". Usually CTS problems focus on winning a piece or checkmate.

Challenging problems (5-10 min) contain perhaps more motifs but especially you have to see a lot deeper why certain tactic works. I've noticed that often the material balance is more even in difficult problems, in the best line you might emerge with a pawn or two up. Many (=all) people have to first study even the simplest positions slowly, once it is really learned you don't have to think about any longer.

Fast:
    + Training what you (should) know
    + Good for getting sharp before playing a game of chess
    - Can cause bad habits (on the other hand if one is conscious of this it is possible to train proper thought process with these positions by taking all the time you need to see the solution)

Slow:
    + To my mind the only way to learn new concepts
    + Trains calculation skills
    - Might get frustrating if the problem set is too difficult (or too easy)

It is of course also question of what appeals to you, if you find that studying a position for 10 minutes isn't that fun after all you should switch to CTS.

- bahus
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 13:21
    Originally posted by bahus
    hellfire clan to the rescue! 😀
  6. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 13:23
    Thank you very much guys, you helped me a lot!
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 18:571 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    fast tactics (CTS) to improve your ability to spot tactics.

slow tactics (books, CT-ART etc.) to improve your ability to calculate correctly.

both are equally important for OTB, but here calculation isn't as crucial, as you can take your time to verify everything. but if you can't spot a tactic, you can't calculate it either.
    I signed up for CTS again - I had an old acct. but it seems to be gone. 😕

Anyhow, I forgot how nice CTS is, those tactics are fun to train, and you can see improvement. I'm only rated 1314 on there right now though. 🙁 My biggest problem is choosing too fast, and then realizing that I could've got the right move if I waited one or two seconds longer - apparent from my abysmal success rate of appx. 57%.

My acct. is CSBones btw.
  8. Joined
    25 Sep '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 19:05
    As others have said, I find them to be complimentary. Sometimes I find myself guessing on CTS just because I'm under time constraints. It's not intentional either. It's definitely good for being able to "see" the tactics immediately. Sometimes I can see the possibilities when the board is loaded immediately, but other times I miss something obvious.
  9. back in business
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 19:42
    fast tactics of course.

just wanted to say that before RahimK gets here with his slow tactics mambo jambo...
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 19:56
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    fast tactics of course.

just wanted to say that before RahimK gets here with his slow tactics mambo jambo...
    Wrong!

Who cares about being good at blitz?

You want to be good at blitz? Do fast tactics.

OTB and CC go for slow tactics. Slow tactics build calculation and you can use this skill even if there are no tactics in a position. I go here , he goes there etc....

Up to you, but i prefer slow tactics.
  11. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 20:57
    Rahimk seems to emit the most truth.
    It's too bad that my soon to be completed robot is programmed to destroy him!.......shame...

Slow tactics!
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 22:03
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I signed up for CTS again - I had an old acct. but it seems to be gone. 😕
    this one? http://chess.emrald.net/tProfile.php?TacID=4574

they don't delete accounts, the ranking list just shows only people with a RD of less than 100.
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 22:23
    this one? http://chess.emrald.net/tProfile.php?TacID=4574

they don't delete accounts, the ranking list just shows only people with a RD of less than 100.
    Might be, but I can't retrieve the password for some reason - the link they email to me just takes me to the homepage. 😕
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 22:441 edit
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Might be, but I can't retrieve the password for some reason - the link they email to me just takes me to the homepage. 😕
    so it seems. bummer.

oh crap. it seems trying the pwd retrieval link has changed my pwd as well, to something I don't know. the old one doesn't work anymore.

EDIT: okay, I just got the new password in the mail. it just took a while.
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 01:21
    so it seems. bummer.

oh crap. it seems trying the pwd retrieval link has changed my pwd as well, to something I don't know. the old one doesn't work anymore.

EDIT: okay, I just got the new password in the mail. it just took a while.
    Haha, oh you're right, I got mine too. Oh well...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree