1. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    29 Dec '11 16:27
    As a former Chicago area player I will be watching this with interest.
  2. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 23:31
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/annotation/annotationindex.php?gameid=8951540

I don't know how to post the annotations. Good game!
  3. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 00:162 edits
    Originally posted by Nezeru
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/annotation/annotationindex.php?gameid=8951540

I don't know how to post the annotations. Good game!
    Well annotated - good game!

I have commented on your great annotations.

Q
  4. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 02:11
    Great annotation additions. The relative irrelevance of the dark-square bishop is in fact why I think the lines without g3 are superior versions for White. I had initially thought after Bg4 that my idea of Bxf3 and Nxd4 would leave me with a central superiority but then was surprised I could find no way to hold an extra pawn or any central advantage (except slightly more active pieces) so I looked for ways to prevent e5. Be5 seemed like a very direct way to do this and was tactically sound 🙂

Want to play another game and switch colors? Also, I guess you just use the Insert board from PGN feature to show the annotations here right?
  5. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 02:29
    Originally posted by Nezeru
    Great annotation additions. The relative irrelevance of the dark-square bishop is in fact why I think the lines without g3 are superior versions for White. I had initially thought after Bg4 that my idea of Bxf3 and Nxd4 would leave me with a central superiority but then was surprised I could find no way to hold an extra pawn or any central advantage (except s ...[text shortened]... Also, I guess you just use the Insert board from PGN feature to show the annotations here right?
    Thats exactly what I did.

While I understand your feelings towards Bg2, I don't share your analysis of its weakness.
    I'd love to rematch with a color switch - send it over.

-Q
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 02:45
    Originally posted by watchyourbackrank
    [pgn][Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2011.10.24"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "watchyourbackrank"]
    [Black "PhySiQ"]
    [Result "1/2-1/2"]
    [ECO "D39"]
    [WhiteElo "1972"]
    [BlackElo "1944"]
    [PlyCount "74"]
    [EventDate "2011.??.??"]

1. d4 d5 2. c4 Nf6 3. Nc3 e6 4. Nf3 Bb4 {I'm not familiar with this move} 5.Bg5 {Want to de ...[text shortened]... s position is solid and we agreed on a draw} 1/2-1/2
    [/pgn]
    Instead of 15.d4, maybe 15.Rg4 followed by 16.Qd2 would be a better plan.
  7. In attack
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 23:12
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    Well annotated - good game! Q
    I like it Q, your annotations are top quality 🙂
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 23:32
    I liked the 8. Nh4 idea and commented about it on the annotation. I think that it gives white his best chances at winning whereas 8. 0-0 seems safe and only keeps the position very balanced with a draw already looking to be the likely outcome.
  9. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 04:33
    Originally posted by morgski
    I like it Q, your annotations are top quality 🙂
    Thanks Mr. Morgski!

You've got me feeling all fuzzy!

Q
  10. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    18 Jan '12 07:22
    Well the next contestant in the "beat up on Q because we can"-athon is mikelom
    I've gotten some great feedback on my jarbled thoughts in some of my other annotations...so this time I've shared a tiddlywink more in hopes of you all hating what I say and kicking me off the train. 😉

Also available at:
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/annotation/annotationinteractive.php?annotationid=2070

28.... As much as I appreciated c7, Rc8 is a sneaky move. I'm actually surprised mikelom saw this.. if 29. Rxd6 Rxd6 30. Qxd6 Qxf3 31. Qc6 Qxf3 32. Qa4 (or else) then Nf4 and white is in a nasty predicament. From there Qc2 is probably the safest bet...and black responds leaving this mess for white:

Well played Mr. Lom - and good 'on ya for taking advantage!

Q
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 01:45
    I only comment on move nine. I think this is the critical position that will define the rest of the game.

White needs to recognize that the game will start getting clogged if he doesn't do something, which would favor blacks knights. With this knowledge white would either need to open the position or rebalance the minor piece situation.

So either 9. d5!? or 9. Bg5 intending Bxf6 and if 9... Bxf3 then 10. exf3 and white should no longer exchange on f6.
  12. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 02:24
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I only comment on move nine. I think this is the critical position that will define the rest of the game.

White needs to recognize that the game will start getting clogged if he doesn't do something, which would favor blacks knights. With this knowledge white would either need to open the position or rebalance the minor piece situation.

So either 9. ...[text shortened]... 9. Bg5 intending Bxf6 and if 9... Bxf3 then 10. exf3 and white should no longer exchange on f6.
    If d5 Ne7 looks ok right?
    If Bg6 h6 looks calms it down a bit right?

If the e pawn motors forward at all, then Bxf3. What do you do to stop the capture? Play Qd1?

Q
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 04:063 edits
    If d5 Ne7 looks ok right?
    If Bg6 h6 looks calms it down a bit right?

If the e pawn motors forward at all, then Bxf3. What do you do to stop the capture? Play Qd1?

Q
    9. Bg5 h6 {your suggestion} 10. Bxf6 Qxf6 11. Ne5

And things seem to have evened out again.

9. d5 Ne7 {your suggestion}

This might be best, I don't know, but as black I would just take that pawn and try to prove white wrong.

Edit(dang grammar errors): I find that after looking though that something like 9. Nd2 0-0 10. f3 and 11. e4 sets up a nice center which, I think, will force black to allow an eventual opening of the center if any counterplay is going to be gained.
    I actually like this idea since it highlights the drawbacks of blacks ...Be4 sortie and it may actually be the best plan for white since it is safer than any d5 ideas and it offers more winning chances, IMO, than Bg5-xf6 ideas.
  14. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 04:182 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    9. Bg5 h6 {your suggestion} 10. Bxf6 Qxf6 11. Ne5

And things seem to have evened out again.

9. d5 Ne7 {your suggestion}

This might be best, I don't know, but as black I would just take that pawn and try to prove white wrong.

Edit(dang grammar errors): I find that after looking though that something like 9. Nd2 0-0 10. f3 and 11. e4 sets up a n ...[text shortened]... ince it is safer than any d5 ideas and it offers more winning chances, IMO, than Bg5-xf6 ideas.
    I think exd5 probably is better now that I look at it for a few more moments. exd5 cxd5 Bxd5 is fine for black. Ahead a pawn, but I'm not sure the pawn is hugely valuable at this point.

Edit (stop editing up there you're causing us down here trouble!)
    I tend to agree - Nd2 is probably the best continuation for white. However as black I would prefer to respond with Ne7 preparing Bb7 again. Things look rather regular at that point. If Nxe4 then Nxe4 Qc2 and f5 and things are as said before...pretty regular..

Q
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 04:362 edits
    I think exd5 probably is better now that I look at it for a few more moments. exd5 cxd5 Bxd5 is fine for black. Ahead a pawn, but I'm not sure the pawn is hugely valuable at this point.

Edit (stop editing up there you're causing us down here trouble!)
    I tend to agree - Nd2 is probably the best continuation for white. However as black I would prefer to r ...[text shortened]... that point. If Nxe4 then Nxe4 Qc2 and f5 and things are as said before...pretty regular..

Q
    The reason for ...0-0 and ...Bg6 is that after the line 9. Nd2 0-0 10. f3 Bg6 11. e4 Nh5 threatens Qh4+ so 12. g3 weakening the white structure somewhat and black is more flexible with a possible ...f7-f5 pawn break or ...Ne7 for a ...c5 break or ...c6 then ...d5 break.

Edit: I would still go in for the f3, e4 idea as white instead of exchanging on e4.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree