1. London
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 01:31
    Originally posted by zebano
    NO, what this does is encourage people to resign, and not fight for that draw. If you think you have a lost game, it might be best to immediately resign and start on game two so you can even the score ASAP. That said, I assume the clocks just don't change. What if you were behind on time, and behind one game? then your opponent might simply try to blitz you out.
    I mean for the clocks to be equal at the start of each game. Otherwise a long, time-consuming defence that ultimately failed would then be penalized a second time.

Premature resignations are already a part of chess anyhow. Carlsen did it with black v Topalov at Wijk, although holding the draw looked a tough proposition. Ivanchuk's resigned a pair of potential draws against Kasparov in one Linares I think it was - one due to an oversight, one due to . . . who knows?

Also, I doubt you're right that there'd be a spate of premature resignations. Under my system, even with relatively quick players, you'd be unlikely to get more than three games between two players. Two would be most likely. So holding a tough draw over 6 hours and getting .5 would be better than losing and gambling on the next game - since your maximum tally from two games would then be .5 anyhow.
  2. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 06:19
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I just looked at this thread, so I don't know if this has been posted yet, but there was a tourney not held all that long ago that used an interesting point system to discourage draws. It penalised white for drawing, and actually made White push for the win in the all games, and the points for scoring wins were actually different for both colors. The tourn ...[text shortened]... and had alot of strong US GM's in it. Someone should find the link, but I have to go to class.
    BAP system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAP_System

It's 3 points for Black to win, 2 points for White to win, 1 point for Black to draw, and nil for a white draw or to the loser. It encourages White to push for a win since a draw and a loss to him are the same.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 08:07
    If I would play to Kramnik, I'd consider draw as a total success.

My point is that if I could salvage myself with a draw, against my opponents will, then I have succeeded.
    The criticism for draws is for the easy ones, when you agree to an early draw to save energy, or having no interest, wanting to go to the playa or whatever. A draw without a struggle isn't a good draw.

But how to differ a 'good' draw from a 'bad' one, I don't know...
  4. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 11:431 edit
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Long-fought battles won't be penalised, will they? If you think my suggestion implies that, you've misunderstood what time is.

Draws after 15 moves won't be penalized either, will they?

Actually, did you even read my post? I assume not - since everyone else has managed to understand it.
    Tommy, I do not understand why you ask if I read your post. Of course I read your post, I was first to answer it. And I think I know what time is.

I did not say long-fought battles would be penalised with your system, or that draws after 15 moves would be penalised.. the question is if you read my post? You are pulling sentences out of context, because I was speaking about the 3-1-0 system in the second paragraph. In the first paragraph I critised your idea for not solving "the problem of a player's energy", nothing else.

This is the third time I tell you why I think your idea does not solve the problems. Did you manage to understand it?
  5. Standard memberMathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    leölés ellenfeleim
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 12:13
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    "I know what is drawn better than you or your FIDE" -Fischer
    Brilliant! 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree