1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 00:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Sigh, you dont actually believe the propaganda do you Nimzo?

Anyway this is a chess forum, what has transpired is that stating that if someone really had a rating of 2400 that it would be quite beneficial to register their talent in an official capacity has been construed as some kind of veiled accusation, primarily because of the paranoid delus ...[text shortened]... o, we are scared of our opponents supported knight on d6, but comments on an internet forum?
    And you know what? I'm just going to say it.

If a male chess player came off like that toward people everyone would be unified against him saying what an aye hole he's being. Didn't that just happen recently?

But if a female acts like that toward people, well then she's not an aye hole. She's just spunky.
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 00:10
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper

If a male chess player came off like that toward people everyone would be unified against him saying what an aye hole he's being. Didn't that just happen recently?

But if a female acts like that toward people, well then she's not an aye hole. She's just spunky.
    well she did get a 500 day forum ban.
  3. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 00:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Sigh, you dont actually believe the propaganda do you Nimzo?

Anyway this is a chess forum, what has transpired is that stating that if someone really had a rating of 2400 that it would be quite beneficial to register their talent in an official capacity has been construed as some kind of veiled accusation, primarily because of the paranoid delus ...[text shortened]... o, we are scared of our opponents supported knight on d6, but comments on an internet forum?
    R- There is no point in trying to correlate ratings across different formats. My ICC 5 min, RHP and Fide ratings are all pretty close to each other but I know plenty of guys who have +/- 300 pt differences.

Skeeter could be a 90 year old great grandmother who hasn't played OTB since the AVRO 1938 era while Paul may make a living playing speed chess in the French Quarter of New Orleans. What I do know is I have played them both in CC and my guess is they are probably not getting comp. assistance.
  4. Pities the fool
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 02:11
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    R- There is no point in trying to correlate ratings across different formats. My ICC 5 min, RHP and Fide ratings are all pretty close to each other but I know plenty of guys who have +/- 300 pt differences.

Skeeter could be a 90 year old great grandmother who hasn't played OTB since the AVRO 1938 era while Paul may make a living playing speed chess in the ...[text shortened]... s I have played them both in CC and my guess is they are probably not getting comp. assistance.
    Having a 2400 rating means in simples English :-

1. One would have to beat any Silicon users (not an easy feat for an unaided weak human). Example from OTB http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7481
    2. Having a non-existent OTB or rating much lower than their online one casts doubt as to their actual potential. Example - a guy who is 1500 FIDE but 2200 or 2400.

Let us have people posting a bit more sensibly than telling us nonsense like your rating in A cannot be compared to OTB when we talking of beating strong humans/potential cheats and then having a beginner rating in real chess.

For people who don't know what 2400/IM level in FIDE represents :-

International Masters" redirects here. For the snooker tournament formerly known under this name, see British Open (snooker).

The title International Master is awarded to strong chess players. Instituted in 1950, it is a lifetime title, usually abbreviated as IM in chess literature.

Normally three norms in international tournaments involving other IMs and Grandmasters are required before FIDE will confer the title on a player. IMs usually have an Elo rating between 2400 and 2500. Sometimes, though, there may be a very strong IM who has not yet become a Grandmaster but has a rating greater than 2500.

The IM title can also be awarded for a few specific performances. For example, under current rules, the runner up at the World Junior Championship will be awarded the IM title if he or she does not already have it. Current regulations may be found in the FIDE handbook.[4]

After becoming an IM, most professional players set their next goal as becoming a Grandmaster. It is also possible to become a Grandmaster without ever having been an International Master. Larry Christiansen of the United States (1977), Boris Gelfand of Israel (1988), and former World Champion Vladimir Kramnik of Russia all became Grandmasters without ever having been an IM. However, the more usual path is first to become an IM, then move on to the GM level.

International Master titles are also awarded to correspondence chess players by the International Correspondence Chess Federation (ICCF), and composers and solvers of chess problems (see titles in chess composition).

An International Master is usually in the top 0.25% of all tournament players at the time he or she receives the title.[5] The November 2010 FIDE rating list records 3036 players holding the IM title.[3]
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 02:27
    Originally posted by nimzo5

Skeeter could be a 90 year old great grandmother who hasn't played OTB since the AVRO 1938 era while Paul may make a living playing speed chess in the ...[text shortened]... s I have played them both in CC and my guess is they are probably not getting comp. assistance.
    Well said. Ratings derived from separate data samples have no direct correlation.

In my home state of Virginia, the South Mecklenburg State Penitentiary ("a hard core prison", for those from other countries who don't recognize the nomeclature) had it's own chess club, and they played each other in what was a closed and isolated data pool.

The strongest player, a lifer named Claude Bloodgood, worked his rating into the 2700's USCF, and actually qualified for the US Championship until they changed the rules.

Here's a link for those interested. A GP blog waiting to happen!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Bloodgood
  6. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 03:011 edit
    Originally posted by kopatov

1. One would have to beat any Silicon users (not an easy feat for an unaided weak human). Example from OTB http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7481
    2. Having a non-existent OTB or rating much lower than their online one casts doubt as to their actual potential. Example - a guy who is 1500 FIDE b ...[text shortened]... ating strong humans/potential cheats and then having a beginner rating in real chess.

[3]
    [/b]
    *deleted*
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 03:04
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Well said. Ratings derived from separate data samples have no direct correlation.

In my home state of Virginia, the South Mecklenburg State Penitentiary ("a hard core prison", for those from other countries who don't recognize the nomeclature) had it's own chess club, and they played each other in what was a closed and isolated data pool.

The str ...[text shortened]... interested. A GP blog waiting to happen!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Bloodgood
    Yep, if a player can choose their opponents they can manipulate the system which is another reason why (open) OTB tournaments are the only credible rating format.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 03:10
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper

no, she's a bitch.
  9. Pities the fool
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 06:34
    Interesting words on the Chessbase link about the 1698 player who beat masters with the aid of his "briefcase" :-

We leave you – and the organisers, and FIDE – to decide how this and similar cases should be handled. It seems like the problem of cheating simply will not go away and is becoming harder to ignore.

Yes the problem of cheating will not go away and however way you want to explain it, you cannot explain how an untitled human can beat strong players and potentially any silicon users. You can yap away about rating pools and other such nonsense but show me how many titled players e.g. GMs eat the likes of Fritz for breakfast? Please show me.
  10. under your bed
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 07:22
    there is now doubt that there many engines in use.. I regularly play a 2400 iccf IM here and based on that its obvious when people are cheating.
  11. Joined
    23 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 07:26
    Her name is not Harry Houdini, it is Helena Houdini, let us get it right people.
  12. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 10:561 edit
    Originally posted by kopatov

2. Having a non-existent OTB or rating much lower than their online one casts doubt as to their actual potential. Example - a guy who is 1500 FIDE but 2200 or 2400.
    Fixed:

1. You do not need to beat any silicon users. If you don't play them, you don't need to beat them.

2. It does not 'cast doubt as to their potential' - there exist people, who are getting doubts about the others potential when confronted with numbers from completely different rating and playing systems. There exist other people, who believe that there exist people who either rarely ever play OTB or simply suck at live chess.
  13. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 13:57
    Originally posted by NorrisB
    Looks like skeeter has improved herself a great deal since this tournament Tournament 1679
    Way back on 31st March 2008 you were only rated at 1080 - massive rise for you in 3 years!
  14. e4
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 14:032 edits
    Hi kopatov

You are just looking at the number 2400 and putting it in an OTB enviroment.

Look at her games and who she plays.
    She cherry picks her opponents which is 100% legal and highly recommended.

You cannot walk into a tournament and declare you are only going to play
    under 1800 players. This is what she is doing. It is a perfect manipulation
    of the grading system. It's is legal. She is doing nothing wrong.

She often resigns on move 1 if faced with 2000+ player so the claim she
    has beaten engines is a none starter. She just does play them.

She keeps her game tally low and her opening rep is on tramlines.
    She will not deviate from 1.c4 as White and her Black defences are always
    the same. She knows her openings well and does not experiment.

She never makes silly blunders, she tried explaining her technique for this
    but all this did was produced sniggers. It is little wonder she does not share
    her chess thoughts on the forum (and why should she.....we all know her opinion
    on non-subs, why should they get a free lesson is her reckoning.)
  15. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    02 Sep '11 15:11
    She has her secrets written on a yellow stickie.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree