1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 18:30
    Originally posted by Varenka
    I was also surprised to read that
    Why would that be? Skeets is not a GM, just a good CC player. Moving in haste is probably the worse offense of everyone here, including my poorly rated self.
  2. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 18:56
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why would that be? Skeets is not a GM, just a good CC player. Moving in haste is probably the worse offense of everyone here, including my poorly rated self.
    Just a good CC player? Rated #1 on this site and you say "just"? It takes a *really* good CC player to be ranked higher than all the other players here. And for a player of this ability, some things have to be automatic, for example, "look at the position of both kings".
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 19:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think the reference was to post it notes. BF wrote extensively in margins of his books, had post it notes all over his work. I think that was the gist of it, not BF's distrust (well placed) of the Russians.
    ok, my mistake sorry for that, i thought it was to him being evaluated as insane, please accept my profuse apologise a thousand times 🙂
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 19:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    why not? because he called it like it is? What strange claims did Fischer in fact make? that the Russians were cheating? That they talked amongst themselves illegally during games? That the Israeli government are not really screwing the Arab's in Palestine they just like taking their land because its good for them? That Kasparov was dishonest? ...[text shortened]... s (enter Julian Assange telling us what we already knew) Which claim are you willing to deny 🙂
    I don't think denying the holocaust occurred is "calling it like it is." I am going to say that I will take no lunar landing over no holocaust. You want the other side of that one Robbie?
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 19:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ok, my mistake sorry for that, i thought it was to him being evaluated as insane, please accept my profuse apologise a thousand times 🙂
    I don't think either Skeeter or Fischer was insane. My point is that eccentricity in no way is proof of lack of chess strength.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 19:08
    Just a good CC player? Rated #1 on this site and you say "just"? It takes a *really* good CC player to be ranked higher than all the other players here. And for a player of this ability, some things have to be automatic, for example, "look at the position of both kings".
    'despite all of this', mmm, a fairly simplistic five point plan, didn't Karpov have a similar plan, i think Petrovich sent it to me once, although it was rather more involved than check all checks, look at the respective position of the kings, flip the board etc Perhaps simplicity has a lucidity all of its own.
  7. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 19:09
    Originally posted by PAWN RIOT
    ...I find it strange how a player of your grade needs to put a "sticky" with 5-basic rules on your monitor?...i understand weak players doing such things but anyone above 1600?...Natalia Pogonina or Lara Croft?...well,what ever floats your boat i guess.
    I find it strange that two players of your abilities have never challenged each other nor met in a tournament.

Who is scared of who?

Could you play a game?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 19:12
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I don't think denying the holocaust occurred is "calling it like it is." I am going to say that I will take no lunar landing over no holocaust. You want the other side of that one Robbie?
    i have never heard Fischer deny the holocaust, what i have heard him state is that the Israeli government is equally as guilty of acts of atrocity, that the American government stole land from the indigenous Americans illegally and brutally etc etc etc is that not telling it how it is? You can tell it how it is, truth has a potency all of its own.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 19:131 edit
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I don't think either Skeeter or Fischer was insane. My point is that eccentricity in no way is proof of lack of chess strength.
    well ok, that's sorted! 😀
  10. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 19:13
    However, a reminder to do the automatic when playing much lower rated opponents must be a good thing, rather than be blasé and just moving, knowing if a mistake is made her better understanding of chess should allow her to recoup the situation.
  11. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 20:04
    In a few years I want to be the #1 player on RHP so I can be adorned with countless accusations of cheating.

I don't think that skeets cheats. I would say that her success comes from detailed analysis.

I want to get that checklist tattooed on my wrist for OTB play, except for the part about flipping the board around, which would probably get me disqualified.
  12. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 20:23
    Originally posted by adramforall
    a reminder to do the automatic
    It's not automatic if it needs a reminder. 🙂 Imagine a 1600 player needing to keep a copy of rules handy in case they forget how a knight moves... that's what I mean by automatic.
  13. An airport near you
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 20:46
    It's not automatic if it needs a reminder. 🙂 Imagine a 1600 player needing to keep a copy of rules handy in case they forget how a knight moves... that's what I mean by automatic.
    Actually I think Skeeter was using the rules to ensure - when inputting a move from a separate board - that the position analysed was right and therefore the move is really the one intended. That was, imo, the point of the story attached.

So not that suprising, shurely?
  14. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 20:55
    Originally posted by Osse
    that the position analysed was right
    So, if you are going to write a post-it note in order to help verify that you've analysed the right position, you write a note with "look at the position of both kings"? So it doesn't matter if the queens were placed wrong? etc. etc. Your logic is not justifying the exact statement: "look at the position of both kings".
  15. Joined
    24 May '08
    Moves
    27 Dec '10 21:15
    I have one which says
    horsie = L
    bish = X
    As a 1700 OTB player, you have no idea the hassle this has saved me over the years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree