1. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 23:083 edits
    There are huge numbers of people accepting invites and automatically deleting them. I know it pisses me off, and I am certain it pisses you off, so how is it that there is no consequence for these people?
    They understand that they are accepting a game within a time limit that their opponent has set, and they know that their opponent will move within that time, so why is it that once they have it they will wait 2 minutes, then delete it?
    If they don't see that person online, and they wish for a faster game, they have 4 options, they can join a different game (one with someone online), they can create their own open invite and hope someone accepts, they can challenge a friend, or they can reduce themselves to waiting the 2 hours for their original opponent to make a move.
    With these options documented I see no reason why games should be deleted, except for someone absently clicking their mouse at the wrong name (but that itself is a rare occurence), therefore why should these deleters not be given some sort of punishment to deter them from deleting again?
    p.s, How do you indent on these messages? I tried using the tab key and just adding spaces, and neither work.
  2. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 23:15
    I dont delete - I subscribe.
    But I dont see the problem here. Just start another game.
  3. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 23:18
    But it is annoying that I go away from the computer, and two of the games that I have put up are already gone.
  4. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 23:24
    Originally posted by prosoccer
    But it is annoying that I go away from the computer, and two of the games that I have put up are already gone.
    Well,if you put an invite,play one move and then go away,your opponents do well when they delete the game.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 23:31
    It's also annoying to me too. Someone just yesterday accepted a game and played e4. When I played c5, they just deleted it! 🙁 🙁 🙁
  6. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    01 Apr '06 23:37
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    It's also annoying to me too. Someone just yesterday accepted a game and played e4. When I played c5, they just deleted it! 🙁 🙁 🙁
    Maybe he didn't liked facing the sicilian,there's nothing strange.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 00:002 edits
    I didn't say it was strange. It is just annoying.

Plus, I think doing this can lead to rating inflation. What if I were to resign in all games where I think white's move is difficult? No more d4, no more e4, and no more c4. This won't help my chess and it would be rude to my opponent.
  8. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 00:251 edit
    Firstly I do not do that; if I play moves while my opponent is online I play in excess of one. Secondly, I would be perfectly within my rights to play a move then go away, as long as I don't timeout there is no problem with that.

Edit: Regarding Ravello's first post
  9. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 00:34
    Firstly I do not do that; if I play moves while my opponent is online I play in excess of one. Secondly, I would be perfectly within my rights to play a move then go away, as long as I don't timeout there is no problem with that.

Edit: Regarding Ravello's first post
    Back to the original solution

SUBSCRIBE

That way you are not curtailed to 6 games therefore the problem would be less in terms of 20 games on the go and 2 delete = 10 % compared to currently a third of your total games 😛
  10. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 00:39
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    I think doing this can lead to rating inflation. What if I were to resign in all games where I think white's move is difficult? No more d4, no more e4, and no more c4. This won't help my chess and it would be rude to my opponent.
    Rating inflation????

A game can be resigned within the first two moves (however I don't see why someone would resign rather than delete the game) and no rating changes will happen.
    It's like an unrated game.
  11. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 00:41
    I would be perfectly within my rights to play a move then go away
    Then your opponent is perfectly within his rights to delete a one-move-old game.
  12. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 00:57
    But when you join a game you accept that people may not be online immediately (as I mentioned with being online) and if they are you accept the rules of the game, being which ever time constraints are present. You do not enter a game where it is stated that the first x-number of moves will be completed within the first day. You accept a game that follows the time constraints, that is it, no other clauses.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 02:11
    [b]There are huge numbers of people accepting invites and automatically deleting them.
    Perhaps they are intimidated by your uncompromising profile...
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 02:15
    There are huge numbers of people accepting invites and automatically deleting them. I know it pisses me off, and I am certain it pisses you off, so how is it that there is no consequence for these people?
    They understand that they are accepting a game within a time limit that their opponent has set, and they know that their opponent will move within th ...[text shortened]... u indent on these messages? I tried using the tab key and just adding spaces, and neither work.
    I addressed an aspect of this problem this morning in Thread 40878. One of the players that accepted one of mine and then deleted without making a move had a challenge in the open invites. Guess what I did?

I'm compiling a list of those that do it to me. There are consequences.
  15. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Apr '06 03:04
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Rating inflation????

A game can be resigned within the first two moves (however I don't see why someone would resign rather than delete the game) and no rating changes will happen.
    It's like an unrated game.
    That's not what I mean.

What I'm saying is that if you only play against the openings you are an expert in, because you resign every other game, your true skill may be lower than the rating. For example if you always resign vs c5 because you know no theory or just because it is the most problematic opening for you, your rating may be higher just playing against e5, etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree