1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 19:221 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Recently followed a game where white used space to trade down and go into an
    endgame where his advantage in space would be underlined, just wondering if
    there are any other scenarios in which the use of space may be utilised - thanks in
    advance Robbie,

here is the game, its clear that blacks passive play resulted in going into an
    endgam 6 20. Nxc6 Bxc6 21. Bb6 Rd7 22. b4 Rc8 23. Kb3 Rdd8 24. Bxd8 Rxd8 25. e5 *[/pgn]
    23..Rdd8 definitely gets '??' IMO, what a terrible blunder! I like the transposition from a QG to a Sicilian, i don't think i've seen that one before. 🙂

EDIT: Oh yeh, who were the players?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 19:59
    Originally posted by Zaubernuss
    Michael Stean's classic Simple Chess has an excellent chapter on space.
    So does Znosko-Borovsky's The Middle Game in Chess.
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 20:11
    if you get space, you take it. sooner or later the opponent will run out of moves and implode. it's a game of numbers: in a cramped position there will be less moves available, and hence a greater probability of NOT having a good enough response.

a blitz game on ICC a moment ago:

4. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 22:10
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    23..Rdd8 definitely gets '??' IMO, what a terrible blunder! I like the transposition from a QG to a Sicilian, i don't think i've seen that one before. 🙂

EDIT: Oh yeh, who were the players?
    Ok, 23. ...Rdd8 is forced for black has no way to defend against b5, trapping the bishop, black therefore was forced to sacrifice the exchange rather than lose a piece, for if you notice the position of the bishop on c6 with the rook on d7 its simply trapped. The players were, Kiselev and Cherniaev and the game was played in 1992,
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 22:161 edit
    after 10...c6 blacks two bishops are reduced to rather large pawns and you and i both know he could have avoided this simply by playing 1...d5, never the less an excellent use of space i must say.

EDIT: sorry post meant for wormwoods ICC blitz game.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 22:43
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That first game you posted, why did black pull that boner with the rook at the end? The game was over in two moves. Didn't seem like much of a strategic game to me.
    Ok, 23. ...Rdd8 is forced for black has no way to defend against b5, trapping the bishop, black therefore was forced to sacrifice the exchange rather than lose a piece, for if you notice the position of the bishop on c6 with the rook on d7 its simply trapped.
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 12:37
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    after 10...c6 blacks two bishops are reduced to rather large pawns and you and i both know he could have avoided this simply by playing 1...d5, never the less an excellent use of space i must say.

EDIT: sorry post meant for wormwoods ICC blitz game.
    yeah, didn't need to think on almost any of the moves. there's probably loads of better moves, for both sides. it's not an especially good game. but that's not the point. the point is he gave me space, I took it. no calculation required, no need to even look for great moves. easy game for me, painful suffering being squeezed to death for him.
  8. Lagos
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 10:02
    Originally posted by wormwood
    yeah, didn't need to think on almost any of the moves. there's probably loads of better moves, for both sides. it's not an especially good game. but that's not the point. the point is he gave me space, I took it. no calculation required, no need to even look for great moves. easy game for me, painful suffering being squeezed to death for him.
    Is there a tactic in that final position?
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 13:25
    Originally posted by Goshen
    Is there a tactic in that final position?
    no, I think he resigned mostly out of frustration. he was also so much down in time there was no hope, at all. I had used maybe a minute.
  10. Lagos
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 13:30
    Originally posted by wormwood
    no, I think he resigned mostly out of frustration. he was also so much down in time there was no hope, at all. I had used maybe a minute.
    Okay thanks. Was a bit bewildered.
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 14:47
    shirov vs tiviakov, same story, different moves. I can't remember ever seeing a top GM pushed into such a miserable position.

12. e4
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 22:301 edit
    “The seeds of defeat lie in a cramped position” –Siegbert Tarrasch

The more space you have the more mobile your pieces are to
    switch attack from one spot to another. They can react better.

Space itself is not the game winner, you need a weakness or better
    still two weakness's to hit.
    You must have seen a game note 'Black is cramped but has no obvious weakness.'

The plus is with the space holder but he must find a way in.
    If he screws it up then all those space grabbing pawn moves are suddenly
    exposed as weakening.

This relatively unknown miniature game made it's mark on me when I first it.
    White looks very impressive but the weakness's left behind are exploited
    by tactics.

Csmon - Korchnoi 1965

13. c6
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 02:25
    That's a really slick game, Greenpawn. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 12:15
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    “The seeds of defeat lie in a cramped position” –Siegbert Tarrasch

The more space you have the more mobile your pieces are to
    switch attack from one spot to another. They can react better.

Space itself is not the game winner, you need a weakness or better
    still two weakness's to hit.
    You must have seen a game note 'Black is cramped but has no ...[text shortened]... 2 Nd3+
    15. Kd2 Nxb2 16. Be2 Bxg4 {White resigned here.} 17. Bxg4 Nxc4+ 18. Kd3 Nxe3[/pgn]
    What a well-balanced post!

GM Dorfman makes the case that space is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage per se, and that it is the other intrinsic factors of the position that determine its value or disadvantage. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not, and you have to look at other factors before that question can be answered.

Personally, I consider the "on -board debates" between Four Pawn Attack- and Austrian Attack-type players on the one hand, and KID-Alekhine's-Hippo players on the other hand to be one of the great ongoing stories of chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree