1. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:49
    Is the strongest ever player now officially an engine/supercomputer as opposed to Kasparov? and if so what is it?
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:50
    Hydra chess computer looks pretty sh;t hot, but kasparov never played it. Who knows. Computers don't count though. 😉
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 16:54
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    Is the strongest ever player now officially an engine/supercomputer as opposed to Kasparov? and if so what is it?
    Kasparovs final rating was 2812.

He has now been over taken by Topalov whose current rating is 2813.

I am not sure where Kasparovs rating peaked nor that of Fisher!
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 17:06
    Kasparov's highest ever rating was 2851:
    http://www.fide.com/ratings/id.phtml?event=4100018
  5. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 17:36
    Some might not even consider computers to be players, they are, after all, only computers.
  6. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 18:06
    Officially, there isn't one.
  7. USA
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 18:19
    According to the makers of Hydra, they say that it is over 3000 ELO. Of course, they can say whatever they want, and 1 short match against a grandmaster means nothing.
  8. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 21:16
    I say Paul Morphy is the strongest player ever 🙂
  9. Joined
    02 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 21:39
    Ofcourse when one is talking about strength it is not just a function of one game or one brief period of genius. It depends on how consistently a player perfomed against strong opposition and there is no doubt that Kasparov more than anybody dominated the game in this respect.
    For god's sake it took a year after he quit for him to be overtaken!!!
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 22:16
    I think the strongest player ever would be the one who dominated his contempories the most.

According to the chessmetrics site, Steinitz enjoyed the biggest rating gap between himself and the second best player. However I find this difficult to believe, and I think it was Fischer, as he proved himself to be considerably better than any other player in the world for roughly three years up to 1972.

If there was a tournament between the best players in history at their peaks, I think Kasparov would win. However I don't think he was ever as clearly better than his rivals as Fischer was, simply because his rivals (e.g. Karpov, Anand) were some of the best players ever themselves!
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 22:291 edit
    I should imagine, If there ever was this magical tournament where all these historical GMs game back to life and played at their peaks, I'm confident the modern players would come out on top.

simply because - with the age of computers, and huge advances in opening theory, they would be better prepared....

EDIT: - as for the best player ever, I would place money on it being an obscure unknown player, perhaps short-lived....etc.
  12. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 23:191 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I think the strongest player ever would be the one who dominated his contempories the most.

According to the chessmetrics site, Steinitz enjoyed the biggest rating gap between himself and the second best player. However I find this difficult to believe, and I think it was Fischer, as he proved himself to be considerably better than any other player in th , simply because his rivals (e.g. Karpov, Anand) were some of the best players ever themselves!
    i agree that fischer was the overall best chess player when world champ, but thought i should mention that i heard geller in his games with fischer has a plus score against him.
  13. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 23:38
    Originally posted by Fat Lady

According to the chessmetrics site, Steinitz enjoyed the biggest rating gap between himself and the second best player. However I find this difficult to believe, and I think it was Fischer, as he proved himself to be considerably better than any other player in th ...[text shortened]... , simply because his rivals (e.g. Karpov, Anand) were some of the best players ever themselves!
    My money would go on Lasker undisputed champion for 27 years, a reign no other player has even approached.
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 23:501 edit
    I believe Tal had a plus score against Fischer too, mostly due to the 4-0 drubbing he handed to a 16 year old Fischer in the 1959 candidates tournament.

Edit: I was wrong, I've just checked and they ended up tied at four wins apiece with five draws.
  15. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 Aug '06 23:54
    Originally posted by leestatic
    My money would go on Lasker undisputed champion for 27 years, a reign no other player has even approached.
    True, but Lasker wasn't exactly an active champion. I think Kasparov's tenure as Champion was more impressive.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree