1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    29 May '08 17:16
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Why did you let your time run out? Didn't you have control over your thinking time? I would think he is now jumping of joy! (I most certainly do! And I actually did in the Game 4827282)

Don't lose control over your thinking time. If your opponent sees the skull, he has every right to click the skull and win the game.
    You remind me of Game 2147039 which was a KGA I messed up in a similar fashion.

One of my earlier and very careless games here that I almost resigned on about move 5 but somehow went on to win.
  2. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    29 May '08 22:33
    Originally posted by DanVM
    Game 4885012 why did I lose the game? Sure, time ran out, but isn't there a rule that when you have your king solo on the board you can't possibly claim a win?
    This is strange indead... If you play blitz (in Sweden), this would count as a draw and white would be happy. I don't know the rules for blitz games in England or the US. Is it the same ?
    There might be some difference of the rules in CC but I would be surprised if it was. IMO this is a bug in the software
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    29 May '08 22:39
    Originally posted by DagamoStyle
    This is strange indead... If you play blitz (in Sweden), this would count as a draw and white would be happy. I don't know the rules for blitz games in England or the US. Is it the same ?
    There might be some difference of the rules in CC but I would be surprised if it was. IMO this is a bug in the software
    Agreed! This game cannot be won on time (at blitz or any other way) in UK or elsewhere as white cannot mate with any series of lawful moves (with a sole king) no matter how badly black plays.

It is a fault in the software I fear. Report it!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '08 00:18
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Agreed! This game cannot be won on time (at blitz or any other way) in UK or elsewhere as white cannot mate with any series of lawful moves (with a sole king) no matter how badly black plays.

It is a fault in the software I fear. Report it!
    Agreed, the win is impossible to claim with nothing left on the board but the king. I was counting on that when my time was running out. After my last move I only had some 5 hours left, and called it a night. Next morning the game was lost... I sent feedback, see what that brings...
  5. Montreal, Canada
    Moves
    30 May '08 00:22
    Originally posted by DanVM
    Agreed, the win is impossible to claim with nothing left on the board but the king. I was counting on that when my time was running out. After my last move I only had some 5 hours left, and called it a night. Next morning the game was lost... I sent feedback, see what that brings...
    Why would you even take the chance of perhaps time expiring? Don't assume. You have a clear board and two queens versus a lone king. It's not like you had to think about what move to make.
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    30 May '08 07:49
    Originally posted by DrunkKash
    Why would you even take the chance of perhaps time expiring? Don't assume. You have a [b]clear board and two queens versus a lone king. It's not like you had to think about what move to make.[/b]
    Even if it wasn't lost once time ran out it should have been a draw and a draw with K & 2Q vs lone K is just as bad as a loss. You could have blitzed this in less than 10 seconds with no danger of blundering.

It is I am afraid a salutory lession in watching your time even though it should have been a draw not a loss.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 May '08 08:06
    Why would you even take the chance of perhaps time expiring? Don't assume. You have a [b]clear board and two queens versus a lone king. It's not like you had to think about what move to make.[/b]
    Yes, but you do have to wait for the opponent to move before you can move. And if he happens to move while you're asleep, your clock will run.
  8. Montreal, Canada
    Moves
    30 May '08 19:15
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yes, but you do have to wait for the opponent to move before you can move. And if he happens to move while you're asleep, your clock will run.
    Uh yes. But as long as you make sure that you log on at least once every 24 hours, you can't possibly be timed out.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 May '08 19:27
    Uh yes. But as long as you make sure that you log on at least once every 24 hours, you can't possibly be timed out.
    End if you only have 5 hours to move (as stated above) don't go to sleep. Make the move.

P-
  10. ALG
    Moves
    30 May '08 21:15
    Is this a draw?

note: B-g5 Q-g7 -f6 Q-g8 B-h6!
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    30 May '08 21:21
    after the third repetition: yes.
  12. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    30 May '08 23:35
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    End if you only have 5 hours to move (as stated above) don't go to sleep. Make the move.

P-
    Remember this was a hardcore game. He had 5 hours total, and would get no additional time, period.

If his opponent timed his moves properly (while he was asleep), it would have been very hard for him to finish out the game without a timeout.
  13. Joined
    26 Apr '08
    Moves
    31 May '08 01:43
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    For some reason, my opponent won't accept the fact that when the only pieces left on the board are K vs. K + N + N, a checkmate cannot be forced, especially as all pieces are in the middle of the board. In theory, however, a checkmate could occur if I erred grievously. Nevertheless, surely this is a draw, but he has declined my draw offer.
    The only th ...[text shortened]... do in an OTB game), and will they normally halt a game like this with a draw as the result?
    You opponent is either uninformed or an ass.

Your game is draw and he schould accept it.
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    31 May '08 09:13
    Originally posted by Clay1987
    You opponent is either uninformed or an ass.

Your game is draw and he schould accept it.
    Now that I know I can claim a win on time even with a sole King I am afraid that I also will play on in these circumstances if a time out of my opponent is probable, after all time is a part of chess and it should be managed better.

If you want to win this sort of game then always ensure you are never away from the board for more time than you have remaining (after all your opponent may be watching to see when you log off so he can move straight away). Its hard work but if you are not prepared to put in the effort don't complain if time goes against you.
  15. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 May '08 09:24
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Now that I know I can claim a win on time even with a sole King I am afraid that I also will play on in these circumstances if a time out of my opponent is probable, after all time is a part of chess and it should be managed better.

If you want to win this sort of game then always ensure you are never away from the board for more time than you have re ...[text shortened]... work but if you are not prepared to put in the effort don't complain if time goes against you.
    Nicely put. Time is indeed a part of chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree