Surely, it's a draw

Surely, it's a draw

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
04 Jun 08

Originally posted by David Tebb
Unfortunately, the site championship uses the same type of time control - 0 time-out and 60 day timebank. It's fine for players who move quickly and finish their games in not many moves. But it can be a nightmare for those that have long games.

Anyone who is in favour of this time control should check out the 158 move game between English Tal and Gate ...[text shortened]... ld still finish within 60 days, If games last longer, then the players should have more time.
I agree with Tebb. An inherent problem with the 0/X time control is that it can favor one player for entirely silly reasons and shift a significant amount of leverage his way. For instance, two stupid circumstances I can think of off the top of my head:

1. A player that has a real job or limited access to a computer has to play someone that has continual access to a computer, for instance a student out on summer break who is incredibly bored all the time due to the lack of research work at this current moment. I don't know where I thought of this, it just came to me all of a sudden. 😀

2. Time zone issues could affect the games to an incredible extent! Let's say I make my moves when I get up, when I get home from work midday and when I go to bed. If for some reason I get paired against someone who makes his move at the same time as me, but he lives in a time zone that is an hour or two behind, I'm gonna tank hours per day, simply because an opponent inadvertently takes advantage of my sleep schedule!

These problems extend from the fact that there's no grace period or initial block of time. Even a half of day would in most cases be sufficient, but zero is stupid. If Russ is concerned about the length of a championship, even 1/10 seems to work out to finished a game in a very reasonable amount of time.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
04 Jun 08

Originally posted by David Tebb
Unfortunately, the site championship uses the same type of time control - 0 time-out and 60 day timebank. It's fine for players who move quickly and finish their games in not many moves. But it can be a nightmare for those that have long games.

Anyone who is in favour of this time control should check out the 158 move game between English Tal and Gate ...[text shortened]... ld still finish within 60 days, If games last longer, then the players should have more time.
The 0/60 I believe was proposed by users, flexmore specifically if I recall correctly, and the issues may not have been foreseen.

D