We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 12:441 edit
    Originally posted by geo86012
    What more could White want?
    page 1, post 1:

Originally posted by rob39
    Hi all
    I need a system to play against the sicilian which is straight forward to understand and has a clear objective and of course dodges all the theory??
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 12:491 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    So you see Nimzo my friend. white has all sorts of tricks at his disposal and black
    cannot prevent everything! Sicilian is busted!
    It's a cryin' shame to know that the next edition of MCO won't even mention the sicilian. :'(

I so enjoyed watching sicilians at the GM level, but I guess those days are gone too. 😠
  3. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 14:12
    Ok.
    Here is a suggestion that is actually sound!
    1. e4 c5
    2.Nf3 and wait and see what Black plays

against 2.... Nc6
    3. Bb5 avoids a fair amount of theory

against 2....e6
    both 3. c4 or 3. d3 are ways to fight for an advantage
    (Kramnik even transposed in the 3. c4 line in his recent match against Grischuk (sound but offbeat)

against 2....d6
    3. c3 isn't bad

bingo!?
    These openings may not give enough of an advantage at super GM level but allow for fighting chess from at least a level position
  4. bedlam
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 14:43
    Originally posted by queenabber
    Ok.
    Here is a suggestion that is actually sound!
    1. e4 c5
    2.Nf3 and wait and see what Black plays

against 2.... Nc6
    3. Bb5 avoids a fair amount of theory

against 2....e6
    both 3. c4 or 3. d3 are ways to fight for an advantage
    (Kramnik even transposed in the 3. c4 line in his recent match against Grischuk (sound but offbeat)

against 2.. ...[text shortened]... of an advantage at super GM level but allow for fighting chess from at least a level position
    What about 2...,g6 and 2....,Nf6?

And why not 2....,d6 3.Bb5+?You think c3 is a better try?
  5. Joined
    31 May '11
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 15:19
    You may want to check out the new book by Gawain Jones on the 3. Bb5 Sicilian, "How to Beat the Sicilian Defense". There's a full preview up on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/How-Beat-Sicilian-Defence-Anti-Sicilian/dp/1857446631/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306941060&sr=8-1

Looks pretty interesting. I've never played it myself but it seems like a nice compromise between the theory of Open Sicilian and the monotony of the KIA.
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 15:22
    oh Nimzo your theory is interesting but you cannot stop all of these things at once.
    The way of water shall conform itself and take the shape of ones opponents before
    piling through the gaps! Are we really to fear moves like ...Rb8, ...b5, ...b4. Let us
    look at the line you are proposing,

1.e4 c5, 2.Nc3 Nc6, 3.g3 g6, 4.Bg2 Bg7, 5.d3 d6, ...[text shortened]... Ba6 17. Rfd1 {and our pressure along d file should count for something.} *[/pgn]
    Objectively, 13...Qc7 isn't the best move for Black. Better for Black is 13...Ba6 14.Re1 O-O. (My engine even gives a slight edge to Black here.)

Even giving you 13...Qc7, how about instead of 16...Ba6, we let Black play 16...e5, and now we can go back to Greenpawn34's previous comment. This just looks like a fighting game to me, I don't understand how you can say this is busted for Black. (Unless you're just trying to wind us up. 🙂 )
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 15:34
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    1. d4
    This is still the only answer which fills all the OP's requirements.

Learn the QGA and QGD and never fear the Sicilian again.
  8. bedlam
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 15:36
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Hm,he did ask to dodge theory
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 15:44
    Originally posted by Suzianne

So you dodge one theory and now you need to learn even more theory... clever! I wish I had thought of that.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 16:191 edit
    If you are going to play into mainstream lines, then you are going to have to learn your stuff if you want to play into those lines. You know what you are getting yourself into.

The only way that I know to fight 'book' openings is to get your opponent out of book in a solid way and play chess. Either play into a variation that most people don't play, or use an opening that most people don't play. If you can find an opening that transposes easily into something you'd like to play with 1.e4, try it out and see where things go.
  11. e4
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 16:371 edit
    Dodge theory...give me a bust against the French...how do
    I play against the London System....System against the sicilian needed,
    ...What do I play against King's Gambit.....on and on and on it goes.

It never ends.

Embrace the game, study the theory, contrubute to theory.
    You cannot simply wipe out 200 years of research by asking a handful
    of complete strangers for those golden moves that are going to win every game.

If anyone on here knew the Holy Grail v the Sicilian do you really think
    they would bother with the likes of us?

"Here are the moves that took me 20 years of hard research to find."

And what is being offered in return? A Thank You?
    Aye right...I can see that happening.

The is no bust to the Sicilian and the Sicilian is not the refutation of 1.e4

Dodge theory....? How can you dodge theory?
    You might as well go to the Science Forum and ask that lot for a cure for gravity.

If an opening is giving you trouble then start playing it yourself.
    You will see all that openings good points and it's defects.
    Then when you meet it you will have learned how to play against
    it's good points and nudge it's bad points.

This will involve some self study and work....and to progress at this
    wonderful game......self study and work cannot be dodged.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 17:313 edits
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Dodge theory...give me a bust against the French...how do
    I play against the London System....System against the sicilian needed,
    ...What do I play against King's Gambit.....on and on and on it goes.

It never ends.

Embrace the game, study the theory, contrubute to theory.
    You cannot simply wipe out 200 years of research by asking a handful
    of c work....and to progress at this
    wonderful game......self study and work cannot be dodged.
    Best post all thread. 😉

This is how I dodge theory... with a BANG!

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 18:51
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    It's a cryin' shame to know that the next edition of MCO won't even mention the sicilian. :'(

I so enjoyed watching sicilians at the GM level, but I guess those days are gone too. 😠
    why is that? I guess because al the top players are booked up to the eyeballs and so hardly ever play it. I noticed that Magnus , before his Kasparov days was a great friend of the dragon. You are right dear Rook, its sad that at the top level we see cagey English openings and the almost obligatory 1.d4. I suppose when you are playing for the sort of money those guys are, sharp openings are only played if you really need to win.
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 18:541 edit
    why is that? I guess because al the top players are booked up to the eyeballs and so hardly ever play it. I noticed that Magnus , before his Kasparov days was a great friend of the dragon. You are right dear Rook, its sad that at the top level we see cagey English openings and the almost obligatory 1.d4. I suppose when you are playing for the sort of money those guys are, sharp openings are only played if you really need to win.
    Don't worry Robbie. When I make it to that level I will be the lone star that burns bright and fierce and always plays for the win.. I will then fade from the top echelons into the mists of rumour and scandal to be forever lauded as the greatest chess player of all time.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 18:572 edits
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Objectively, 13...Qc7 isn't the best move for Black. Better for Black is 13...Ba6 14.Re1 O-O. (My engine even gives a slight edge to Black here.)

Even giving you 13...Qc7, how about instead of 16...Ba6, we let Black play 16...e5, and now we can go back to Greenpawn34's previous comment. This just looks like a fighting game to me, I don't understand how you can say this is busted for Black. (Unless you're just trying to wind us up. 🙂 )
    Ill check this line our great and illustrious maddened rook and get back to you, 13...Ba6 you say, vewy vewy intwesting. I had a look at the 1900+ games on RHP games explorer, black has a tremendous plus, something like 60% win ratio in some lines, but that counts for very little. The line that Nimzo gave leads to equality i think with best play. Yes i was joking with the Sicilian is busted, but its good to get into that mindset, 'you dare to play the Sicilian against me? on higher principles and for a win?', your getting it! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree