1. e4
    Moves
    31 May '11 16:15
    Hi Tom Tom

So now you want me to play Bg2 against the Sicilian to get ready for the ending
    when I have just given you an OTB example of what I'm capable of tactically
    in a middle game.

Is that what you want.......

...That's it, I'm heading for the lake....
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 16:17
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Tom Tom

So now you want me to play Bg2 against the Sicilian to get ready for the ending
    when I have just given you an [b]OTB
    example of what I'm capable of tactically
    in a middle game.

Is that what you want.......

...That's it, I'm heading for the lake....[/b]
    No, I would reccomend that you don't put the bishop on g2 if you don't like not being able to eye those f7 and h7 squares. 😉
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    31 May '11 16:17
    I love this stuff. It's why we play!
  4. e4
    Moves
    31 May '11 16:19
    SPLASH!
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 16:271 edit
    SPLASH!
    Oh pish posh 😛. I don't even like the opening anyway. I don't even like bishops I'd rather let the brothers grim( this is what I call my knights because I love to maneuver them around the rim of the board to get them into place) get into action then trade off all the bishops and watch the opponent go red as my superior knight technique wins the game.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    31 May '11 16:28
    Hi Paul.

Posting one game 56 moves long where the g2 Bishop acted as a
    spectator for the 20 moves whilst the damage was being done by the
    Queen and Knights hardly speaks volumes for the g2 Bishop.

Good game though, can't Black draw that ending?
    My point was only that a fianchettoed king's bishop and an inspired attacking game are not inconsistent. Number of moves and drawing possibilities notwithstanding, it most certainly was not a "fill in the blank" exchange variation.
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    31 May '11 17:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    6...d6 is more testing? we have played an anti Sicilian, no open c-file for black, no
    central pawn majority for the ending, no play against the king pawn, hes practically
    busted already! In the case of ...d6 and the proposed ...Rb8 and ...b5 with
    queenside expansion, we are good to go. After Be3! black must choose his system
    and we have cun ...[text shortened]... to name but a few! Even Bobby
    (peace be upon him) tried it on his return match against Boris
    5... d6 Robbie not 6... d6. Your plans sound great if Black is obliged to follow them, which of course, they are not.

take for example your plan after 5... d6 6.Be3 e6. You say you play 7. Qd2 with the idea of Bh6 exchange etc.

Well no surprise, Black isn't going to just let you complete your idea with ease.

7... Rb8 is the move, Black is going to play Nd4 and advance b5 b4 etc effectively gaining space on the Q-side and meanwhile you are denied your simple exchange as Black has h6 under control. Consider the following line-

8. Nge2 (developing move, preparing to 0-0) Nd4
    9. 0-0 b5 (Bxd4 is pointless and Nxd4 drops a piece.)
    10. Nd1 b4 (10. b4?! is very interesting but not convincing to me.)
    11. Nc1 (f4 is possible I suppose) Ne7 because now Bh6 is met by Bxh6 Qxh6 and white drops a pawn.

While it is laudable to focus on themes and plans in the opening, ignoring concrete analysis and deep research will bring a lot of pain and suffering.

I stick to my original point, the Closed Sicilian is not a good choice for CC- it has enough theory that you aren't really that far removed from Open Sicilians but with less winning chances. It would be better to play the Wing gambit or the Snyder where there there is less theory.
  8. Standard memberpdunne
    Badmaster
    freeshell.de/~dunne
    Moves
    31 May '11 18:02

Yes, my feeling at the time was that Black had drawing chances in the ending if he played actively, though it would have been an uphill struggle. To my shame, I haven't analysed it any further. In fact, the whole attack was probably not good for more than a draw against active play in the centre. But my opponent (like so many French players!) was too passive, and so...

It's all a bit moot, because this was a French defence. In the Sicilian, the Bishop can get to c4, so by all means let it do so!

1.e4 c5 2.d4 ed 3.c3 -- and let the fireworks begin.
  9. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 18:161 edit
    Maybe Black saw what White overlooked...

56...Rh1 57.Bh5 Rg1+ 58.Kh6

and Black is toast. Of course, if so, he still should have played it out. 🙂
  10. Standard memberpdunne
    Badmaster
    freeshell.de/~dunne
    Moves
    31 May '11 18:40
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Maybe Black saw what White overlooked...

56...Rh1 57.Bh5 Rg1+ 58.Kh6

and Black is toast. Of course, if so, he still should have played it out. 🙂
    Eh? What did White "overlook"?
    Of course Black was lost when he resigned on move 56.
    Greenpawn was obviously talking about earlier in the ending.
  11. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 18:45
    Originally posted by pdunne
    Eh? What did White "overlook"?
    Of course Black was lost when he resigned on move 56.
    Greenpawn was obviously talking about earlier in the ending.
    GP wasn't specific so I assumed he was talking about the final position. Sorry about that.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 19:0416 edits
    Well GP I just played a game with only the little theory that I know and came to this position.

Now, if you can't get the bishop active from there then Caissa help you. 😛

edits: couldn't get the bleepin pgn to work. It turned out that I had an extra space between some of the moves.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 08:151 edit
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    5... d6 Robbie not 6... d6. Your plans sound great if Black is obliged to follow them, which of course, they are not.

take for example your plan after 5... d6 6.Be3 e6. You say you play 7. Qd2 with the idea of Bh6 exchange etc.

Well no surprise, Black isn't going to just let you complete your idea with ease.

7... Rb8 is the move, Black is going to p es. It would be better to play the Wing gambit or the Snyder where there there is less theory.
    oh Nimzo your theory is interesting but you cannot stop all of these things at once.
    The way of water shall conform itself and take the shape of ones opponents before
    piling through the gaps! Are we really to fear moves like ...Rb8, ...b5, ...b4. Let us
    look at the line you are proposing,

1.e4 c5, 2.Nc3 Nc6, 3.g3 g6, 4.Bg2 Bg7, 5.d3 d6, 6.Be3 e6, 7.Qd2 Rb8

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 08:31
    It must be noted that after 8.Nf3 8...Nd4 is not good in this position although it looks natural enough, for example,

So you see Nimzo my friend. white has all sorts of tricks at his disposal and black
    cannot prevent everything! Sicilian is busted!
  15. Joined
    28 Jun '07
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 11:57
    Against the Sicilian, man up and play 2 Nf3 and 3 d4. Never mind the half-open c-file, you get a space advantage and a king-side attack in the middle game. What more could White want?
    As for the light-square bishop, I prefer him on e2/d3/c4 aiming at the black king. Also, the pawn on g3 blocks heavy piece lifts on the third rank.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree