1. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    27 May '07 19:47
    I've tried reading chess books before I just can never finish them. Either they are too much work or too much commitment - I just never seem to get through them.

There have been classics (art of war 1st edition i found in second hand shop for £2.80 circa 1992), openings (basic opening ideas - Reuben Fine) or games (100 best ever games - Nunn) but no tactical one...

I'd like to improve though so I'm thinking maybe tactical is way to go. Can I get your suggestions for a good practical tactical improvement book please. It'll need to be easily read and not too much work 😉

Cheers
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 May '07 19:511 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    27 May '07 19:57
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I love sacs so I'll definately look at that. Cheers
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 May '07 19:58
    Originally posted by malinga
    I've tried reading chess books before I just can never finish them. Either they are too much work or too much commitment - I just never seem to get through them.

There have been classics (art of war 1st edition i found in second hand shop for £2.80 circa 1992), openings (basic opening ideas - Reuben Fine) or games (100 best ever games - Nunn) but no tacti ...[text shortened]... cal improvement book please. It'll need to be easily read and not too much work 😉

Cheers
    This site is about as good as it gets for ease of readability and content.
    http://www.chesstactics.org/

Re actual books. I've been thinking of getting my hands on Seirawans Winning Chess Tactics, just because I found Winning Chess Strategies such a pleasant read.

D
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 May '07 20:011 edit

6. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    27 May '07 20:03
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    This site is about as good as it gets for ease of readability and content.
    http://www.chesstactics.org/

Re actual books. I've been thinking of getting my hands on Seirawans Winning Chess Tactics, just because I found Winning Chess Strategies such a pleasant read.

D
    Thanks a lot - that site looks like a very usable one.
  7. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 May '07 20:18
    I can only speak for myself, but i found what really helped me to improve tactically was a real gem of a book called. The Search for Chess perfection by CJS Purdy. in particular there's an 8 piece segment at the back of the book on how to see combinations. A real eye opener it gives real common sense practical advice that works!

Also studying the games of the great Paul Morphy.

Get yourself a copy of The First book Of Morphy and study it and i mean study it. Don't just play through the games. Take the side of Morphy. Be him! at each turn try and predict his next move, taking in to account all the strategic and tactical elements present in the position. When you've made your choice compare it to Morphys and look at the notes of the author who explains the whys and wherefores of the chosen move.
    This technique will work wonders for your game providing you are willing to put in the effort!
  8. washington
    Moves
    27 May '07 21:45
    josh waitzkins book is great. helped me learn how to use tactics and other things such as pawn breaks. attacking chess is its title. very good read.
  9. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    28 May '07 10:511 edit
    Originally posted by Talisman
    Get yourself a copy of The First book Of Morphy and study it and i mean study it.
    When you've made your choice compare it to Morphys and look at the notes of the author who explains the whys and wherefores of the chosen move.
    This technique will work wonders for your game providing you are willing to put in the effort![/b]
    Thanks, but your advice doesn't really fit my remit of very little work!
  10. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    28 May '07 10:51
    Originally posted by kmac27
    josh waitzkins book is great. helped me learn how to use tactics and other things such as pawn breaks. attacking chess is its title. very good read.
    Thanks kmac27 - I'll have a look
  11. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    28 May '07 11:04
    art of attack in chess, Very good book. A "bit" hard to read tho, but certainly worth having.
  12. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 May '07 11:50

13. Standard membermalinga
    That would be me
    Behind the couch
    Moves
    28 May '07 11:52
    Originally posted by onyx2006
    art of attack in chess, Very good book. A "bit" hard to read tho, but certainly worth having.
    and it's one of those books I couldn't finish - see first post.
  14. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    28 May '07 14:39
    Originally posted by malinga
    and it's one of those books I couldn't finish - see first post.
    :-) I Know, I'm struggling with that book ever since I got my hands on it.
  15. USA
    Moves
    28 May '07 18:57
    Here some books that don't require a whole lot of work but are good-

Josh Waitzkin's Attacking Chess

Winning Chess Tactics by Yasser Seirawan

Chess Tactics for the Tournament Player by Alburt and Palatnik

More Chessercizes! Checkmate (book of puzzles) by Bruce Pandolfini

If you want CD's, Chess Tactics for Beginners by Convekta's a great one (puzzles)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree