1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    15 Feb '06 22:30
    Originally posted by dottewell
    That's not what happened to ItsYouThatIAdore.

I really hope people don't take ratings here too seriously, whether they are 2400, 1700 or 1300. The best feedback is talking about a game with someone who understands it better than you.

But anyway, my argument is not with you. It is with the original poster, who DOES take ratings far too seriously. I m ...[text shortened]... - whether it is right or wrong to let your games time out, it doesn't really matter, does it?
    I'm confused now. I'm talking about Itsyou_____and other people doing such things. It's not what happend to him. Its what he did to people. That thread wasn't just about him but also about other people.

I take my chess very seriously and thus when I win a game I expect the hard points I earned and If I lose well then I go over my game find out why I lost and give my opponent the points he expects. Regardless if its Otb or Rhp. I know you arguement is not with me but I don't agree with this sort of behaviour. It's not polite, and if you did such things in OTB then trust me, you would not be invited to many tournaments.

as for your statement:

I mean, really - whether it is right or wrong to let your games time out, it doesn't really matter, does it?[/

I don't timeout people unless the win in really easy and they have no chance at getting back in the game. However, even if i was winning I would let the person play on as long as he moved within a reasonable amount of time or if he asked me too.

I don't enjoy people timing out an unclear game. It doesn't do anything for either of our chess. If you continue doing such things people will talk and stop playing you. I understand that if you have an emergency or somthing fine, but this is not the first time this has happened. Ask around and you will see. If people can't manage the games then stop playing so many. Simple as that.
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '06 22:37
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I take my chess very seriously and thus when I win a game I expect the hard points I earned and If I lose well then I go over my game find out why I lost and give my opponent the points he expects.
    Fair enough. I guess this is the difference between us. I like chess, like the site, and hope to improve, but I'm never going to be more than an okay player. For me, it's just a diversion. It just isn't that important.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    15 Feb '06 22:46
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Fair enough. I guess this is the difference between us. I like chess, like the site, and hope to improve, but I'm never going to be more than an okay player. For me, it's just a diversion. It just isn't that important.
    It's hard to improve if you don't take something seriously and its isn't important to you.

I read a lot of chess books/dvd's spend lot of hours on it trying to improve. I play OTB and that's why I take is so seriously. The stuff I learn on here is just to help me in OTB.

I'm aiming at 2000, expert level and I also like to teach chess and with such a rating you can find students easier and charge a decent amount.

I don't play many games on here so I don't have a problem but i'm just saying that I don't think it's very nice to do such things that's all. When people register for a tournament OTb and pay and don't show up or play in some rounds and then withdraw it wrecks everything and we dont' invite them again. In my mind doing this is very similar. If its once or twices fine. But it's a habit with some people.

Anyways enough of this 🙂
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '06 22:52
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Anyways enough of this 🙂
    Amen.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree