1. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 22:35
    Wondering if any of you have read it. I bought it today for a dollar so it is no big investment for me, but for those of you who have read it, is it any good?
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 22:38

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 23:141 edit
    it's not a very good sign when nobody has ever heard of the book. But if it was a dollar then either
    A) it was used and beaten to a condition relative to wet newspaper
    B) it's not a very good book

but if it was only a dollar then how can you go wrong?😀
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 23:18
    A whole dollar, huh? Then I guess it's more an issue of investment of time rather than money. Is this "The Chess Mind" by Abrahams, or the one titled "Inside the Chess Mind" by Aagaard? (I haven't read either one, but I've seen a review of the Aagard book and a few comments about the other one.)
  5. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 00:59
    Originally posted by prosoccer
    Wondering if any of you have read it. I bought it today for a dollar so it is no big investment for me, but for those of you who have read it, is it any good?
    Dr. Adrian de Groot, Ueber das Denken der Schachspieler;

Reuben Fine, The Psychology of the Chess Player.
  6. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 02:29
    It is "The Chess Mind", by Gerald Abrahams.
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 02:42
    It is "The Chess Mind", by Gerald Abrahams.
    If nobody who's read it posts an opinion, at least there's a mini-review from Rick Kennedy on the Chessville site (3rd item from the top of the list). Rick seemed to think it wasn't bad. It's a 50-year old book, written even before the groundbreaking de Groot book, but still somewhat entertaining. (De Groot's book is out of print and very hard to find.)

http://www.chessville.com/reviews/MyChessPsychologyBookshelf.htm
  8. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 02:57
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    If nobody who's read it posts an opinion, at least there's a mini-review from Rick Kennedy on the Chessville site (3rd item from the top of the list). Rick seemed to think it wasn't bad. It's a 50-year old book, written even before the groundbreaking de Groot book, but still somewhat entertaining. (De Groot's book is out of print and very hard to find.)

http://www.chessville.com/reviews/MyChessPsychologyBookshelf.htm
    Yes, thank you.
  9. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 12:07
    I read 'The Chess Mind' about 30 years ago and it seemed old fashioned even then! I can't remember much about the book, other than that there were some unfunny anecdotes about politicians who played chess and a lot of amateur psychology.
  10. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 12:26
    Hmm, it's beginning to sound like a wasted dollar. 😀 I'd read the book anyway, but that's just me.
  11. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 13:19
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Hmm, it's beginning to sound like a wasted dollar. 😀 I'd read the book anyway, but that's just me.
    You can get 20 five cent gums for a dollar, and each five cent gum has a comic in it.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '09 21:51
    Out of the six hundred chess books in my active library, I have read or utilised at least two hundred.
    Of these two hundred, hands down, THE CHESS MIND by Gerald Abrahams is the finest, most intelligent, most inspiring, most perceptive chess book I have ever read. (Runners-up are works by Marovic, Bronstein, Franco, Aagaard, Smyslov, Botvinnik, Lipnitsky, Gufeld, Znosko-Borovsky, Vukovic, Eingorn, and Suetin.)

After all, moves in chess reflect ideas, and THE CHESS MIND is a book about where the ideas come from. (In his own career, Gerald Abrahams was one of the few British masters able to defeat Sultan Khan.)

His chapters include How Battles are Won or Lost, Imagination, Thinking, Empirical Chess. . . My first copy is in tatters on my shelf -- and, is layered within the cerebral folds of my mind.

Without hesitation I buy every copy of this treasure I can find. I just purchased another today.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '09 21:561 edit
    Originally posted by Shamash
    Out of the six hundred chess books in my active library, I have read or utilised at least two hundred.
    Of these two hundred, hands down, THE CHESS MIND by Gerald Abrahams is the finest, most intelligent, most inspiring, most perceptive chess book I have ever read. (Runners-up are works by Marovic, Bronstein, Franco, Aagaard, Smyslov, Botvinnik, L ...[text shortened]... ithout hesitation I buy every copy of this treasure I can find. I just purchased another today.
    Sultan Khan, peace be upon him! i am gonna search for this book, is it still in print? Just purchased it on Amazon for £0.01 plus £2.75 postage, Happy days!
  14. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '09 22:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Sultan Khan, peace be upon him! i am gonna search for this book, is it still in print? Just purchased it on Amazon for £0.01 plus £2.75 postage, Happy days!
    £0.01? Times must really be tough for book sellers!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree