1. Buenos Aires
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 06:13
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Get the new version! The one with old notation is frustrating and the yellow pages don't help either.
    But the smell of the old paper is inspiring! LOL!
    And btw, learning descriptive notation (against the actual algebtaic notation) doesn't hurt; on the contrary. it is a plus (at least IMHO).

bear hugs 🙂
  2. Buenos Aires
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 06:19
    Originally posted by Grandmouster
    there might be a software version. Or one for chessbase. You just need the notation, and Chessbase light
    If you know of a digital version of this book, please post!
    It is the Bible for any apprentice of the game.

Thanks in advance.

The Bear
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 06:35
    Originally posted by LittleBear
    But the smell of the old paper is inspiring! LOL!
    And btw, learning descriptive notation (against the actual algebtaic notation) doesn't hurt; on the contrary. it is a plus (at least IMHO).

bear hugs 🙂
    I would rather read a book with a real board instead of following it online on some program. It's easier online but you don't feel the game to as much and get lazy. With a real board you gotta move the pieces and actually think instead of running an engine to show you other variation and it is close to the OTB experience.

I know the notation, didn't have to learn it, it is self explantory but it is harder since i'm so use to the normal notation which every book uses now days.

The smell inspiring? hahah, you gotta be careful with ancient paper like that.
  4. Buenos Aires
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 08:001 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    I would rather read a book with a real board instead of following it online on some program. It's easier online but you don't feel the game to as much and get lazy. With a real board you gotta move the pieces and actually think instead of running an engine to show you other variation and it is close to the OTB experience.

I know the notation, didn't have t now days.

The smell inspiring? hahah, you gotta be careful with ancient paper like that.
    Lol! The smelll inspiring is all important. It is comletely different forllowing a game on a computer, and following it on the real board. The smell of wood of the board (the real one if you have one professional board) and that of the pieces makes a giant difference.

May be I'm a romantic! Lol!

Cheers!

LB

[Edit]
    P.S.: but in spite of this sentimental disgression, the book of Fine is, IMHO, the best material to introduce apprentices into the practice of openings. My Humble Opinion of course!

A bear hug to all.
  5. Joined
    17 Jun '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 12:51
    Originally posted by estonian3
    I'm relatively new to chess. I really enjoy the game. I'd like to learn more on opneings, but I'm discouraged by most books. I find them just to complex and not practicle when it comes to explaining the opening. What I mean is they'll start explaining the opening and then give you a few variations of the ideal reply and etc... Being a begginer and pl ...[text shortened]... s or books out their that explain openings in the simple way like I just described above???
    Try http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/

It takes you through any sequence of openings you like and explains what they are trying to achieve. Very useful
  6. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    29 Jan '06 17:42

Thanks in advance.

The Bear
    still looking for a digital version. Found this intresting article online

http://www.ez-net.com/~mephisto/How%20to%20Learn%20the%20Basics.html
  7. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 06:171 edit

Thanks in advance.

The Bear
    There is a chessbase software for the book. Dont know if its annotated, could be just moves.
    I have a version, but havent looked at it yet.
    The chessbase website doesnt seem to have one.You might try google to look for it.
    There are other sources for it, just not ethical ones.
    If you dont have a problem with a file sharing oufit, then you could maybe find it there
  8. Joined
    20 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 07:57
    do what i did. join a chess club. it gives you experience of players, tactics and traps. and you can experiment your own. Im soon going to get Winning Chess Openings by GM Yasser Seirawan and Winning Chess endings. hes an amazing writer and very funny. find it on amazon and you can read the first 5 pages. and read the reviews
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 08:14
    As I see it you can learn openings in one of two ways:

(Method 1) Learning the openings by hard from a opening book.
    Pro: You know more than your opponent so you can avoid bad moves more efficiently than he. You don't have to bother with the underlying principles.
    Con: When your opponent deviate from the opening you've choosed you are not better than a beginner and you have to find moves by yourself.

(Method 2) Learning how the openings works and their ideas.
    Pro: You decide yourself, based of your personality and skills, what opening you choose. If a move is not represented in the opening literature isn't a reason to avoid it, just to experiment with. You can deal efficiently with surprises from the opponent. There is no strict boundaries between opening and middle game.
    Con: You have to think for yourself. You can't put your confidence in a book with the 'right' answers. Your bad moves are your own responsibilities.

My advice to the beginner is to start with Method 1 so you mechanically move yourself into middle game. When your skills increase you use Method 2 more and more until you abandon Method 1 (almost) completely and don’t need the opening books anymore.

Whenever you lose a game early – analyze thoroughly, with the aid of opening books or a chess engine or a bunch of good friends so you know where and (most important) why the bad move was so bad. Then you will never do that again.

I see beginners over and over again underestimate the f3 and f6 squares and lose quickly. Why don’t the ever learn? Why don’t the analyze?
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 08:16
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I see beginners over and over again underestimate the f3 and f6 squares and lose quickly.
    Sorry, I mean f2 and f7 squares, of course.
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 12:44

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    05 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 21:51
    I sympathise with the original post , in too many of my games my opening is weak puting me in trouble and forcing me to repell my opponent's attacks, or fight for the centre having surrendered it. I too find the books quite difficult unless you are prepared to sit with a chess set and play through the options over and over again.to gain familiarity. I find when I try and play a new opening I get in all sorts of difficulty.
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    30 Jan '06 21:55
    Originally posted by asimov
    I sympathise with the original post , in too many of my games my opening is weak puting me in trouble and forcing me to repell my opponent's attacks, or fight for the centre having surrendered it. I too find the books quite difficult unless you are prepared to sit with a chess set and play through the options over and over again.to gain familiarity. I find when I try and play a new opening I get in all sorts of difficulty.
    Use a database to make your opening moves and you will get decent position. However, don't follow it blindly. Figure out why that opening move was chosen and then play it.
  14. Subscriberriskdoc
    Risk_doc
    Twin Cities
    Moves
    01 Feb '06 03:51
    Start with Seirawan's Winning Chess Openings, Tactics, Strategy, and Endgames books (4 total). Go to the last chapters in his openings book where he recommends some opening systems for the beginning player. Learn those systems and then start playing. However, begin your detailed study with the endgame book, then tactics, then strategy, and finally openings. Then, get a copy of Fine's The Ideas Behind Chess Openings for further opening study. I also highly recommend Soltis' Pawn Structure Chess since pawn structure is the key of almost all chess openings. Then, get a good copy of de Firmian's Modern Chess Openings (MCO-14) as a good opening reference. Schiller's chess opening books (Standard Chess Openings, Gambit Chess Openings, and Unorthodox Chess Openings) are also good opening reference books for the beginning player.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree