1. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '10 19:07
    I have noticed the shapness of the Bird's, Latvian, KG, Philidor Counter Gambit etc.
    I have come to the conclusion that pushing the F pawn 2 squares is ultra sharp.

Any pet lines against these openings?
    And why is such a weakening appearing move so sharp?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jan '10 19:38
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    I have noticed the shapness of the Bird's, Latvian, KG, Philidor Counter Gambit etc.

can you believe it, i played the Philador counter against a weaker opponent and ended up with a closed game, is there no justice!
  3. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '10 19:40

the bird is fun, but you can get really cramped at times, or forced into the wussy way πŸ™
    still very playable to a higher level, if they make one slip youll get a great attack.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jan '10 19:481 edit
    Originally posted by irontigran
    the bird is fun, but you can get really cramped at times, or forced into the wussy way πŸ™
    still very playable to a higher level, if they make one slip youll get a great attack.
    against the Bird, one must of course play Froms gambit, and against the Kings Gambit , the Falkbeer counter gambit, although i had a very excellent discussion with Paulbuchmanfromfics in which he stated that the Falkbeer was in bad shape nowadays, never the less , its no excuse not to play itπŸ™‚
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 02:49
    Originally posted by irontigran
    Kramnik has played Bird's Opening in the past- I suspect because he also played the Leningrad Dutch, although I don't know which he played first.
  6. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 03:07
    Leninggrad dutch players are something

Most look ad the bird and are scared to play f4.. and yet they play .... f5
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 03:29
    Originally posted by AudreyxSophie
    Leninggrad dutch players are something

Most look ad the bird and are scared to play f4.. and yet they play .... f5
    Hey I joined your clan by the way! I can't wait to get my "Give your opponent the Bird" T-shirt!

Paul
  8. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 03:401 edit
    Yeah, i notice

I wish you good luck with the bird.

By the way, that clan love big challenges, the biggest possible.

DID you try the swiss gambit, look fun.
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 03:44
    I'm game for whatever challenges come- and our opponents will certainly know what to expect!
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 04:28

people usually try from's gambit. the result is similar to engaging a dragon player on his home turf. it's the most common sideline we get. wild complications, both sides get chances. I win most of mine with white, but lose a portion too. I'd suspect most bird players are well prepared and always glad to see from's gambit.

white can also decline the gambit and get very active without the danger. black players tend to be poorly prepared against that.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 04:33
    Originally posted by wormwood
    people usually try from's gambit. the result is similar to engaging a dragon player on his home turf. it's the most common sideline we get. wild complications, both sides get chances. I win most of mine with white, but lose a portion too. I'd suspect most bird players are well prepared and always glad to see from's gambit.

white can also decline the gamb ...[text shortened]... d get very active without the danger. black players tend to be poorly prepared against that.
    i have found that the white players i have played kind of go for half a gambit, they take the first pawn and then instead of taking the second gambited pawn play Nf3
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 04:421 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i have found that the white players i have played kind of go for half a gambit, they take the first pawn and then instead of taking the second gambited pawn play Nf3
    yep, that's how you decline it. Nc3 is much better though.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 05:22
    yep, that's how you decline it. Nc3 is much better though.
    mmm, how vewy vewy intwesting Mr.Bond, why is Nc3 to be preferred over Nf3, i cannot see the value of it πŸ™
  14. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 05:26

white can also decline the gamb ...[text shortened]... d get very active without the danger. black players tend to be poorly prepared against that.
    I rather dislike when white plays 2.e4 in the From's. I hate the black side of a KG.
    So I don't play the FG anymore. 😞
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jan '10 05:331 edit
    I rather dislike when white plays 2.e4 in the From's. I hate the black side of a KG.
    So I don't play the FG anymore. 😞
    wussie, what's wrong wid you man? was it not good enough for the American masters, Morphy and Pillsbury? even that other great master, greenpawn plays it from time to time πŸ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree