1. Standard memberpythagoras
    The mathlete.
    Australia
    Moves
    12 Mar '06 03:06
    I saw a really awesome Lord of the Rings one with Galndalf as the white king and saruman as the black one. it was retailing for around $70 Australia.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '06 03:20
    http://www.wholesalechess.com/chess/chess_pieces/Super+Staunton+Collector+Chess+Pieces+4inch

At 4 pounds, 11 ounces, the super staunton plastic set is unbeatable, especially at the $39 price. Picking up the king is like lifting weights.
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    12 Mar '06 21:57
    Originally posted by TippedKing

http://www.geocities.com/tippedking123/mvc-013f.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/tippedking123/mvc-016f.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/tippedking123/mvc-018f.jpg
    Beautify set. Can I ask where you ordered it from?
  4. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    12 Mar '06 22:361 edit
    Originally posted by pythagoras
    I want to know what everyone thinks about diffenent types of chess sets. I personally love marble. How about you?
    Staunton always! And, I like my Carnegie Set from Checkmate International. It put me $190 in debt or so, but the construction is immaculate and smooth. Leather bottoms to the pieces. I never play with it, but I like to hold the Black knight once in awhile just to feel it. As for real playing pieces, I purchased some awesome weighted-plastic tournament pieces off e-bay from a guy named michessacademy. The set is awesome and beautiful. Sure, it's plastic, but it's sturdy and strong. Pieces won't break, and it comes with an extra Queen. It's tournament regulation size. There is also a digital clock that comes with it. It's pretty cool! Anyway, I find myself loving the plastic set as much as the expensive one I have. At least I can really slam the pieces down or take them anywhere in my chess bag with shoulder strap. If I ever buy a third chess set, it will probably be a larger version of the Carnegie set or a different Staunton set from Jacques of London for a collectable. In Chess Life, they have some really cool pieces! 🙂 By the way, the plastic SUPER STAUNTON set someone mentioned in this thread... well, that's MINE! 🙂 It rocks!
  5. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    12 Mar '06 22:41
    Originally posted by General Putzer
    http://www.wholesalechess.com/chess/chess_pieces/Super+Staunton+Collector+Chess+Pieces+4inch

At 4 pounds, 11 ounces, the super staunton plastic set is unbeatable, especially at the $39 price. Picking up the king is like lifting weights.
    OMG! OMG! OMG! That's my SET! That's the plastic set I own! Yeah, and it ROCKS!!! I love the feel of the pieces! Double weighted also! And, I got my favorite blue and white checkered vinyl board with it and clock. 🙂
  6. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    12 Mar '06 22:44
    Originally posted by RahimK
    $5,000,000 Pounds or Euro chess set. Saw it the CHESS Magazine yesterday at our club.

The king has some 675 diamonds, 50 rubbies, and some kind of gem hidden in the base.
    Gold bling bling.
    Wouldn't even want the thing, unless I could sell it and buy me some wholesale chess equipment to sell on ebay.com and make more money for my buck, and also travel around the country and the world playing in tournaments for fun. 🙂
  7. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    12 Mar '06 22:46
    Originally posted by Trains44
    Exactly the same one I have here, at home. I paid 4,000,000 pounds. My Queen has 617 diamonds
    though, and 45 rubys and a gold nugget (4 oz ) hidden in the base. So it's almost the same.
    Man, why spend money like that on a chess set when you could help out the homeless! Sickening!
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 02:49
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Wouldn't even want the thing, unless I could sell it and buy me some wholesale chess equipment to sell on ebay.com and make more money for my buck, and also travel around the country and the world playing in tournaments for fun. 🙂
    Imagine playing chess with it? We don't have to bring our own chess sets or clocks as the club provides them for us, but mostly you have to.

I know people get annoyed when you slam their clock or when you bang the pieces when you capture them. Imagine someone banging these $$ pieces together when they capture them haha. Priceless!
  9. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 11:42
    Just finished making my own chess set. took 2 months. Used a 50cm square tile (looks like dark slate) Masked it off in boxes, sprayed with white tile paint. Pieces - i made from clay, king/queen's are about 11cm tall, got plenty of coats of paint and gloss varnish finish, stuck felt on the bottom of the pieces. Seemed to take forever but it's great playing on your own board! Highly recommend it - if ye've nothing else to be doing! 🙂
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    13 Mar '06 19:301 edit
    Originally posted by onyx2006
    Just finished making my own chess set. took 2 months. Used a 50cm square tile (looks like dark slate) Masked it off in boxes, sprayed with white tile paint. Pieces - i made from clay, king/queen's are about 11cm tall, got plenty of coats of paint and gloss varnish finish, stuck felt on the bottom of the pieces. Seemed to take forever but it's great playing on your own board! Highly recommend it - if ye've nothing else to be doing! 🙂
    I was thinking about making my own also when I was in grade 8 during the summer. Thinking about machining the pieces on a lathe but it would take forever to make your own chess set with pieces so I made a pool table instead 🙂 You heard me! I got pictures of it, lots and lots of pictures. It cost under $150 for everything include 2 sticks which I bought and I bought wooden balls from the hardware store and painted them.

Good Job Onyx2006 🙂
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '06 00:50
    I got a magic chess set spun out of moon beams by elves, left in a hollow tree trunk on the winter solstice. They're very hard to come by.
  12. Standard memberTippedKing
    Blunder Grandmaster
    Forked by a Knight
    Moves
    14 Mar '06 02:42
    Originally posted by zebano
    Beautify set. Can I ask where you ordered it from?
    The pieces came from India. There is a site over there that will pretty much make any chess set you want to the size and look that you specify. Considering it is all custom it is very reasonable. The pieces were less than $300 and included a fitted briefcase. You can contact them via their website and start talking with them about a custom set. It is http://www.jaqueshouse.com/

The board was also custom made, but not in India. It was made just about a 15 minute drive from where I live. One of the guys I work with has a dad who does nothing but custom woodworking for a living. That board is probably $450 to $500 or so, and is completely solid and extremely well done. No picture does it justice. If you (or anyone) want his contact info you can send me a private message and I can get you some information that way. I don't really want to put that here and he doesn't have a public web site.

That picture is the first chessboard he ever made, which gives you an indication of just how good he is. He will make it however you want.
  13. Standard memberTippedKing
    Blunder Grandmaster
    Forked by a Knight
    Moves
    14 Mar '06 02:52
    Originally posted by General Putzer

I can just chime in and say that I also use this same set and it is very nice. I use it with the mousepad style board. The students I teach all clamor around to get a chance to use it as all the normal club sets are unweighted.

If you combine it with one of their carryall bags (the one where the board goes inside, not through a loop) and decent digital clock you have a really nice mobile chess set that all fits in one convenient bag.

Oh, I don't own any part of wholesalechess.com 😉
  14. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    14 Mar '06 10:01
    Originally posted by RahimK
    [b]I was thinking about making my own also when I was in grade 8 during the summer. Thinking about machining the pieces on a lathe but it would take forever to make your own chess set with pieces so I made a pool table instead 🙂 You heard me! I got pictures of it, lots and lots of pictures. It cost under $150 for everything include 2 sticks which I bought and I ...[text shortened]... weird tho, my appreciation of the game went way up after spending so much time on the pieces/board!
  15. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    23 Mar '06 05:411 edit
    What do you guys think of this set for the money?

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAUNTON-ROSEWOOD-WOOD-CHESS-SET-4-KING-W-FOLDING-BOARD_W0QQitemZ8785365327QQcategoryZ2554QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

click quote to see the link

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree