1. Standard memberpythagoras
    The mathlete.
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 05:33
    I want to know what everyone thinks about diffenent types of chess sets. I personally love marble. How about you?
  2. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 10:45
    I prefer mine to be made of balsa wood, I have breadsticks for arms so can't lift anything too heavy.

I've got an old wooden set handed down from my Grandad, nothing special but it's got sentimental value now that he's passed away. If I had wads of spare cash though, I have seen some very tasty wooden sets on-line but we're talking thousands of pounds. Marble is nice but I prefer wooden.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 14:181 edit
    I see a few outside my price range, but the Reykjavik II set that I bought two years ago is pretty nice. Wood, of course.

http://uscfsales.com/item.asp?cID=10&scID=38&PID=105
  4. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 14:35
    Here's one for the Yanks:

http://a-human-right.com/RKBA/chessboard2.jpg
  5. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 14:59
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I see a few outside my price range, but the Reykjavik II set that I bought two years ago is pretty nice. Wood, of course.

http://uscfsales.com/item.asp?cID=10&scID=38&PID=105
    Those are very nice indeedy, think it may have been the Jaques pieces that I saw on the web for thousands of pounds. Have you got a nice board to compliment the pieces?
  6. Standard memberBlueEyedRook
    Ol' Blue Eyes
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 16:05
    I think there are three things that make a truly great set:

http://blueeyedrook.blogspot.com/2005/08/chess-set.html

1. The queens must be female.
    2. The black and white pieces should be different (not just in color).
    3. BONUS. No piece should be exactly a like. (i.e., one white rook should be distinguishable from the other white rook). (This feature is truly rare).
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 17:13
    Originally posted by BlueEyedRook
    I think there are three things that make a truly great set:

http://blueeyedrook.blogspot.com/2005/08/chess-set.html

1. The queens must be female.
    2. The black and white pieces should be different (not just in color).
    3. BONUS. No piece should be exactly a like. (i.e., one white rook should be distinguishable from the other white rook). (This feature is truly rare).
    Depends whether you want to sit and look at it or if you prefer to play the game.
    Some chess sets are ridiculously difficult to tell which piece is what.
    I prefer the plain old black and white wooden ones.
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 17:213 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberTrains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 17:27
    Originally posted by pythagoras
    I want to know what everyone thinks about diffenent types of chess sets. I personally love marble. How about you?
    I just bought a gorgeous chess set, I think I paid almost 8 dollars in an upscale "Toys R Us" store.
    Made of shiny durable black and white heavy duty plastic with a pressed wooden board. I think in 6 months time, it will be worth twice what I paid for it. I dont think anyone else on my block has one.
  10. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 17:41
    http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/houseofjacques/hand.jpg
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 17:49
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    Those are very nice indeedy, think it may have been the Jaques pieces that I saw on the web for thousands of pounds. Have you got a nice board to compliment the pieces?
    yep

The USCF no longer carries the wood board that I have, and I don't know who does. It was made in Spain, has beveled edges (rather than the more common square), and the playing area is surrounded by an inlaid strip of wood.
  12. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 21:00
    I have quite a few themed sets, but I think ultimately I like the Isle of Lewes design best of all - the pawns aside.
  13. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 21:072 edits
    Originally posted by pythagoras
    I prefer the chess set that I own - The Cambridge Staunton set from Checkmate INternational! Triple weighted, leather bottoms, smooth silky wood gloss. Vintage ebony and boxwood. Ask for Cindy. lol I don't even play with the set, but I love to hold the knight every now and then just for the feeling. LOL My playing set is a tournament set, quad weighted, indestructible plastic, and an extra Queen in case of promotion just like the Cambridge set. I think every man needs to own one beautiful $200 set. It's well worth the price. 🙂 Oh, I did see a set on E-bay made out of gold, diamonds, silver and emeralds. It was retailing for about $500,000. I heard Morphy got one of those when he played those blindfold games in some tavern. They also hefted them up on their shoulders and carried him out of the bar. Can you imagine that type of thing ever happening in our time? No! Where did the good old days go?
  14. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 21:52
    Originally posted by powershaker
    I love to hold the knight every now and then just for the feeling.
    I hope you wash it afterwards.
  15. Standard memberpythagoras
    The mathlete.
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Dec '05 22:311 edit
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Depends whether you want to sit and look at it or if you prefer to play the game.
    Some chess sets are ridiculously difficult to tell which piece is what.
    I prefer the plain old black and white wooden ones.
    I concur that is is easier to play with black and white wooden peices or plastic tournament-style peices, but I still love unusual chess sets!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree