The psychology of chess.

The psychology of chess.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
22 Aug 07

I played this game OTB with a buddy of mine a couple of weeks ago.

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Bc4 e6 7. Bb3 b5 8. Bg5
Be7 9. Qf3 Qb6 10. O-O-O Nbd7 11. e5 Bb7 12. Qg3 dxe5 13. Nf3 b4 14. Na4 Qb5 15.
Rhe1 Ne4 16. Rxe4 Bxe4 17. Bxe7 Kxe7 18. Rxd7+ Kxd7 19. Nxe5+ Ke7 20. Nc5 Qxc5
21. Qg5+ Kd6 22. Nxf7+ Kc6 23. Ne5+ Kd6 24. Nc4+ Qxc4 25. Bxc4 Rad8 26. Qf4+ 1-0

I misplayed the opening (11. e5?? ), and got myself in a horrible position, and so changed my approach to something of a gung-ho one. I sacced 2 exchanges to complicate things a little, and to try to give me some counterplay (especially against the king and unprotected bishop on e4).

Then I spotted that if I could draw the queen to the unprotected c5 square, I might have chances to get a discovered attack against the queen with check (with the knight sac 20. Nc5?! ), or at the least I might get a draw. Luckily, the line was too complex for my opponent to spot, and he didn't play the much stronger 20...Qf1+.

Due to the complications i introduced, my opponent slightly misplayed his defence and once I won his queen, his very next move was to hang his bishop, and lose the game.

If I had played the moves my opponent expected (ie: tried to retain material), I would have suffered a quick death, but by throwing in unexpected sacs, I kept my opponent off balance and slightly confused, and so managed to win a completely lost game.

Of course the emotionless Fritz found a number of refutations, which highlights my point, I think.

D

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
22 Aug 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak

Be7 9. Qf3 Qb6 10. O-O-O Nbd7 11. e5 Bb7 12. Qg3 dxe5 13. Nf3 b4 14. Na4 Qb5 15.
21. Qg5+ Kd6 22. Nxf7+ Kc6 23. Ne5+ Kd6 24. Nc4 ...[text shortened]... e the emotionless Fritz found a number of refutations, which highlights my point, I think.

D
Chess is, imo, a science. But psychology just happens to be a science too. Sometimes fighting imperfection with imperfection is the best way to play chess. Brilliantly played.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
22 Aug 07
1 edit

21. Qg5+ Kd6 22. Nxf7+ Kc6 23. Ne5+ Kd6 24. Nc4 e the emotionless Fritz found a number of refutations, which highlights my point, I think.

D
I think one of the greatest drawbacks on the material thinking of 1,3,5,9 we all learn as beginners, is blindness towards other aspects of the game. in a losing position, when you sac that material for counterplay, all of this becomes evident. the counterplay may or may not be enough, but surprisingly often it creates huge problems for your opponent. where as the 'materially correct' play would've been an easy win for him.

it often makes me wonder how often I miss such possibilities in non-desperate situations in which I'm not looking for the last straw to grasp. probably pretty often.

I think it was tal who, when pointed out that he had pieces en prise all over the board, said something like: "yes, but he can only capture one piece at a time."

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
22 Aug 07

Originally posted by wormwood
I think one of the greatest drawbacks on the material thinking of 1,3,5,9 we all learn as beginners, is blindness towards other aspects of the game. in a losing position, when you sac that material for counterplay, all of this becomes evident. the counterplay may or may not be enough, but surprisingly often it creates huge problems for your opponent. ...[text shortened]... l over the board, said something like: "yes, but he can only capture one piece at a time."
Very true about the pawns score for material.

Here's another example of complicating and trying to unbalance your opponent....
Game 2956434
By move 15, I had a lost game, and I needed to distract my opponent. The only way to do that was via the rook sac, 16...Rxc3. This, again was imperfect, but complicated the game and gave my (supposedly far inferior) opponent the opportunity to make mistakes in his defense, rather than completing his simple attack on my castle.

D

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
22 Aug 07

Originally posted by wormwood
I think one of the greatest drawbacks on the material thinking of 1,3,5,9 we all learn as beginners, is blindness towards other aspects of the game. in a losing position, when you sac that material for counterplay, all of this becomes evident. the counterplay may or may not be enough, but surprisingly often it creates huge problems for your opponent. ...[text shortened]... l over the board, said something like: "yes, but he can only capture one piece at a time."
Tal was unusual lol. He must be the only person on the planet that was able to let his opponent capture pretty much every one of his pieces and win because his opponent was 'wasting time' capturing. Genius that man.

v

Moves
22 Aug 07

Very true about the pawns score for material.

Here's another example of complicating and trying to unbalance your opponent....
Game 2956434
By move 15, I had a lost game, and I needed to distract my opponent. The only way to do that was via the rook sac, 16...Rxc3. This, again was imperfect, but complicated the game and gave my (supposedly far ...[text shortened]... ty to make mistakes in his defense, rather than completing his simple attack on my castle.

D
lol, of course you would easily win against someone who thinks like this:
"I welcome everyone who wants to be part of my patriotic American chess clan, Team USA We should support our troops whenever we can because they fight for our FREEDOM everyday"

rofl...I simply can not stop laughing πŸ™‚))))
πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

M
sorozatgyilkos

leΓΆlΓ©s ellenfeleim

Moves
22 Aug 07

Originally posted by vipiu
lol, of course you would easily win against someone who thinks like this:
"I welcome everyone who wants to be part of my patriotic American chess clan, Team USA We should support our troops whenever we can because they fight for our FREEDOM everyday"

rofl...I simply can not stop laughing πŸ™‚))))
πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
πŸ˜€ πŸ™„

Fixer

Detroit

Moves
22 Aug 07

Originally posted by ih8sens
Tal was unusual lol. He must be the only person on the planet that was able to let his opponent capture pretty much every one of his pieces and win because his opponent was 'wasting time' capturing. Genius that man.
It is true.

I just won a game while my opponent was off taking my bishop and knight. I could not believe he was "over there" wasting his time while I was crawling in the back window and having my way with his wife..........lol.

Once I have (what I hope) a mating plan. I will often just ignore the other pieces. And yes sometime it causes utter failure but if you time the moves out you can often let you opponent have pieces.

I would guess that out of my last 10 wins I was down in material in half. Probably not a great idea but I sure do have fun.