1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    05 Oct '20 11:33
    Is it wrong to used this tactic to claim a draw in a game I’m destined to lose?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    05 Oct '20 11:341 edit
    @drewnogal said
    If you can achieve it you are not destined to lose. So: Go for it!
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    05 Oct '20 11:37
    @ponderable said
    If you can achieve it you are not destined to lose. So: Go for it!
    Seems a bit of a dirty trick but .... ha! , something you learn to recognise once a player has done it to you 🙂
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    05 Oct '20 11:41
    @drewnogal said
    Seems a bit of a dirty trick but .... ha! , something you learn to recognise once a player has done it to you 🙂
    Well if I have a won game I should be able to perform the win. If I do repaet the Position it is a sign that I have no idea how to win the game. (I did draw games a skilled Player would have won)
  5. Subscriber64squaresofpainonline
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    05 Oct '20 16:36
    @drewnogal said
    No, so do it!

DO IT!

Reveal Hidden Content
    DO IT!
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    05 Oct '20 17:57
    @drewnogal said
    Absolutely not..
    I did this in a perpetual check situation just this afternoon after offering my opponenmt a draw which he declined
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 Oct '20 18:48
    @drewnogal said
    If one fails to protect their own King from endless checks, they can't really say they've won.

Basically, I agree with all the other posters. Bailing out of a bad position with perpetual check is a known and accepted tactic in chess. There is nothing "dirty" about it.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Oct '20 23:50
    @drewnogal said
    Seems a bit of a dirty trick but .... ha! ,
    It is as dirty a trick as castling and en passant!
  9. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    14 Oct '20 19:53
    @bigdoggproblem said
    If one fails to protect their own King from endless checks, they can't really say they've won.

Basically, I agree with all the other posters. Bailing out of a bad position with perpetual check is a known and accepted tactic in chess. There is nothing "dirty" about it.
    Second that. It's within the rules. A loss (personally) is to be avoided. If you can't see progress, call it a day.
  10. e4
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 08:00
    I see perpetual check mentioned, I cover this briefly in the latest bloggy thing.

Although everyone uses this term (me all the time) there is no such thing as
    'perpetual check' in the FIDE law book. It is covered by the three fold rep rule.
    Having a seperate rule/law for perpetual check is not required.
    (but that will not stop us from perpetually using it.)
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 08:32
    @drewnogal said
    It’s one of the parameters of the game and you are completely within the ethics of play to utilise it as a tactic to claim a draw.

As Ponderabe said, go for it!
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '20
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 10:18
    @wolfgang59 said
    It is as dirty a trick as castling and en passant!
    When I learned how to play chess I wasn't told of this special move, en passant, at first. When it actually was used in a game, I screamed foul play at my opponent (my younger sister) and ran to my mother and cried my eyes out. Till this day this story is shared at family meetings. My sister still easily beats me at chess.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 16:38
    It's repetition of the same position 3 times AND the same person to move. Surprisingly something I learned only a couple of months ago. I found out in a game on this site and the site refused to accept the draw by repetition. Luckily it was not in a competition or worse against a sibling/child - being on the wrong side of a decision by an arbiter or mum/wife. 😠
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 16:53
    @drewnogal said
    Not a dirty trick. The Swindle is an Art Form.

That said, a repetition is not even a real swindle unless it comes an a very unexpected manner. A person who is otherwise losing will always look for drawing opportunities, and a repetition is an obvious method.

A good attacker should be on the lookout for it, and if they missed it, they don't deserve to win, and you shouldn't let them get away with it. Especially in this format!
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 16:551 edit
    @bigdoggproblem said

I should have read this before posting. BDP always beats me to the punch!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree