Threefold Repetition

Threefold Repetition

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
05 Oct 20

Is it wrong to used this tactic to claim a draw in a game I’m destined to lose?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
05 Oct 20
1 edit

@drewnogal said
If you can achieve it you are not destined to lose. So: Go for it!

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
05 Oct 20

@ponderable said
If you can achieve it you are not destined to lose. So: Go for it!
Seems a bit of a dirty trick but .... ha! , something you learn to recognise once a player has done it to you πŸ™‚

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
05 Oct 20

@drewnogal said
Seems a bit of a dirty trick but .... ha! , something you learn to recognise once a player has done it to you πŸ™‚
Well if I have a won game I should be able to perform the win. If I do repaet the Position it is a sign that I have no idea how to win the game. (I did draw games a skilled Player would have won)

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
05 Oct 20

@drewnogal said
No, so do it!

DO IT!

DO IT!

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
05 Oct 20

@drewnogal said
Absolutely not..
I did this in a perpetual check situation just this afternoon after offering my opponenmt a draw which he declined

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
05 Oct 20

@drewnogal said
If one fails to protect their own King from endless checks, they can't really say they've won.

Basically, I agree with all the other posters. Bailing out of a bad position with perpetual check is a known and accepted tactic in chess. There is nothing "dirty" about it.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
05 Oct 20

@drewnogal said
Seems a bit of a dirty trick but .... ha! ,
It is as dirty a trick as castling and en passant!

Alekhine's Gun

πŸ€” Bolton

Moves
14 Oct 20

@bigdoggproblem said
If one fails to protect their own King from endless checks, they can't really say they've won.

Basically, I agree with all the other posters. Bailing out of a bad position with perpetual check is a known and accepted tactic in chess. There is nothing "dirty" about it.
Second that. It's within the rules. A loss (personally) is to be avoided. If you can't see progress, call it a day.

e4

Moves
15 Oct 20

I see perpetual check mentioned, I cover this briefly in the latest bloggy thing.

Although everyone uses this term (me all the time) there is no such thing as
'perpetual check' in the FIDE law book. It is covered by the three fold rep rule.
Having a seperate rule/law for perpetual check is not required.
(but that will not stop us from perpetually using it.)

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
15 Oct 20

@drewnogal said
It’s one of the parameters of the game and you are completely within the ethics of play to utilise it as a tactic to claim a draw.

As Ponderabe said, go for it!

VL

Moves
15 Oct 20

@wolfgang59 said
It is as dirty a trick as castling and en passant!
When I learned how to play chess I wasn't told of this special move, en passant, at first. When it actually was used in a game, I screamed foul play at my opponent (my younger sister) and ran to my mother and cried my eyes out. Till this day this story is shared at family meetings. My sister still easily beats me at chess.

Moves
16 Oct 20

It's repetition of the same position 3 times AND the same person to move. Surprisingly something I learned only a couple of months ago. I found out in a game on this site and the site refused to accept the draw by repetition. Luckily it was not in a competition or worse against a sibling/child - being on the wrong side of a decision by an arbiter or mum/wife. 😠

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
16 Oct 20

@drewnogal said
Not a dirty trick. The Swindle is an Art Form.

That said, a repetition is not even a real swindle unless it comes an a very unexpected manner. A person who is otherwise losing will always look for drawing opportunities, and a repetition is an obvious method.

A good attacker should be on the lookout for it, and if they missed it, they don't deserve to win, and you shouldn't let them get away with it. Especially in this format!

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
16 Oct 20
1 edit

@bigdoggproblem said

I should have read this before posting. BDP always beats me to the punch!