1. Joined
    26 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 20:53
    I got a rude message back after claiming a game after time had elapsed.
    I was fairly certain that I had clicked the "send msg" icon the day before
    claiming the win.
    Are those message in a folder somewhere, that I can verify that I actually did
    send the timeout msg?

thanks
  2. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 21:01
    Originally posted by rdl
    claiming the win.
    send the timeout msg?

thanks
    im not too sure, but it doesnt really matter...
    agreeing to a certain time is like a contract, and they signed in..
    i never send warnings, and nobodys complained...
    if i were you i would just put this player on my ignore list 🙂
  3. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 23:25
    Sod them, if they take the game on with time limits the penalty of failing to meet those time limits is a skulling
  4. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 00:03
    It is like these people who take out a bank loan and then complain when the debt collectors turn up and take their stuff.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 00:31
    Originally posted by rdl
    claiming the win.
    send the timeout msg?

thanks
    It is not up to you to even send them an alert message. People do that out of the goodness of their heart. There is no rule says you have to do this. I rarely do it.
    I usually just tell them not to whine to me, because they didn't follow their own time restrictions on the game. If they become too abuse, just use the "Send Feedback" feature at the bottom of the page, and copy and paste what they had to say. Make sure to use the category, by pressing the down arrow, and highlighting.
  6. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 04:27
    i only had one player ever complain to me about taking the time out. He was a total idiot. Take the time outs if you like. Place whiners on your ignor list. move on.
  7. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 04:31
    I have a few games I am losing right now where they move on time...and a few where i am winning...where they don't.

I could care less on either...a skull is a skull.

Dave
  8. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 07:43
    one of your timeouts has been timed out by other people and obviously is a careless timekeeper, the other takes skulls himself. Some people use the anonymity of the internet to attack others - this is why we have an ignore list, to keep those people out of your hair.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 09:26
    I have timed out several players, and never got any complains. I never send reminders, and when I see a skull, I click it. I say so in my profile, so people are warned.

(If someone asks me not to time him out, and give a god reason for it, then perhaps I don't do it...)

If wee agree on times when the game is started, there is no reason to whine when timed out.
  10. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 09:50
    You have 35 days vacation and you can play slow time limits if you are still short of time. If despite this you run out of time then you only have yourself to blame. There is no reason to feel bad about clicking the skull.

I find that my opponents' timeouts mainly fall into one of two categories:

a) Those who stop playing altogether. Their rating quickly plummets as everyone else times them out. If they start playing again before you time them out, you will be playing an opponent who is better than his rating, and if you lose/draw you will be unfairly downgraded. So if you care about your rating, click the skull immediately.

b) Those who just stop playing in the one game, but are playing moves in other games. Usually this happens when you are winning. I can only assume it is either a sulk, or an attempt to defer the rating hit of losing. I think this is just rude. Click the skull immediately.

There will be the odd unlucky case, e.g. went into hospital unexpectedly and couldn't put the vacation flag up. That's life, I'm afraid, in my view.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 10:22
    Originally posted by d36366
    You have 35 days vacation and you can play slow time limits if you are still short of time. If despite this you run out of time then you only have yourself to blame. There is no reason to feel bad about clicking the skull.

I find that my opponents' timeouts mainly fall into one of two categories:

a) Those who stop playing altogether. Their rating quick ...[text shortened]... tal unexpectedly and couldn't put the vacation flag up. That's life, I'm afraid, in my view.
    Also a category
    (c): People who have far to many games than they can handle. Some has more than 100 games going nad they always make their move in the last hour. Sometime they miss the time limit and the skull comes ready to be clicked.
  12. Joined
    24 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 19:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Also a category
    (c): People who have far to many games than they can handle. Some has more than 100 games going nad they always make their move in the last hour. Sometime they miss the time limit and the skull comes ready to be clicked.
    Oh yes, them too.

I don't like playing against such players. I only ever play them in tournaments as then you have no choice. Some of them are very good, but they blunder a lot, which means that you get thirty moves into a fascinating game, having invested loads of time and effort into it, and then they just blunder their queen away. So you win, but it's hardly satisfying is it?

And in the games where they don't blunder, they play much better than their rating implies, because it has been depressed by all the blunders. So you lose against someone 200 points lower, because for once they are playing at their true standard.

Wouldn't feel guilty about skulling them.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 23:50
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Also a category
    I have more than 100 going ,and have never been timed out. I think it is just a matter of paying attention to the games you have going. I have had over 600 going at a time, ok agreed that is a bit nuts, I just had to see what it was like, and was never timed out....Way Cranky by times, but never timed out. 😛 🙄 😛
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 04:31
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    I have more than 100 going ,and have never been timed out. I think it is just a matter of paying attention to the games you have going. I have had over 600 going at a time, ok agreed that is a bit nuts, I just had to see what it was like, and was never timed out....Way Cranky by times, but never timed out. 😛 🙄 😛
    When I have 50 games I have difficulties with handling them. Some can handle 500 games without troubles. But some skulls I click on belongs to people with heavy game loads.
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 08:211 edit
    I have never been timed out despite at times being away for up to 2 weeks in places where I had no internet connection. It is just a matter of managing your game load, planning your play and using your vacation appropriately.

I'm sure I'll overlook a game sooner or later but managing your time is just another part of the game and it is hardly the most difficult part for a serious chess player.

P.S. Of course everyone may have an unexected problem, for example an illness or even worse that means they have unexpected timeouts and maybe for them it is a little unfair although I would imagine in such circumstances they probably couldn't give a damn about chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree