to skull collect or not to skull collect

to skull collect or not to skull collect

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Merced, California

Moves
24 Jul 07

since my play has recently increased, i have found a couple of opponents who don't respond to a move timeout.

what is the general feeling about collecting the skull and moving on to a new game?

i don't know the philosophy behind claiming timeout wins, so any explanation on the finer points would help.

G

Stockholm, Sweden

Moves
24 Jul 07

People who are new to the site usually hesitate to collect a skull, which is understandable.. But with time, you learn to click 🙂

A stable personality

Near my hay.

Moves
24 Jul 07

Time controls are part and parcel of chess, whether here or OTB. If you don't meet the time, you've lost.

p

Merced, California

Moves
24 Jul 07

that really surprises me. i've gotten the impression that it's a dubious affair, one which is akin to saying "he's just artificially trying to inflate his chess rating..."

i didn't expect people to have a "just collect it and go on" attitude.

F

Moves
24 Jul 07

Originally posted by primacide
that really surprises me. i've gotten the impression that it's a dubious affair, one which is akin to saying "he's just artificially trying to inflate his chess rating..."

My opponents know that I click their skull whenever I see it.
It says so in my profile.
If they give me their skull, I get it.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
24 Jul 07

To a certain extent I am against collecting skulls as I am here to play but unless my opponent and I have agreed in advance (of the skull coming up) to give a little leeway I now have no hesitation especially if they have moved in other games, if I have an easy win and he won't resign or if he is simply dragging out a long (and overdue to finish) game.

My attitude has hardened as after 12 months of playing, 12 days in Las Vegas getting married (when I couldn't connect at all) followed a few weeks later (after Christmas intervened) by a 16 day Carribbean Cruise (when I was having too much fun to play chess) and no time outs yet I have come to realise that if I can avoid them anyone can. Plus I did that without the current vacation system.

Avoidance is simple. Identify the games at risk and concentrate on completing them - agree draws if necessary, even from slightly better positions and don't take on anything new in the run up. Critical to my success at avoidance was a single 3/7 game when I went to Vegas. My opponent was moving only every 3 days prior to me going but I put my vacation flag up a week early to test things - he moved instantly (a sure sign that he was going for a time out win as the game was already hopelessly lost for him). After a few days I removed the flag and when I went to Vegas I made my prepared move in our game just before I left for Vegas - sure enough he took 3 days to move and I got home with 12 hours time bank left making my first move on my return in that game and winning it a few moves later. The point of the story is simple. With care and preparation time outs are avoidable even in extreme cases. They are optional so you have only yourself to blame if you run out of time.

So take the skull without any quarms.

x

Moves
24 Jul 07

so far I have collected skulls but always my oponents were in a desperate situation (huge material deficit or moves away from mate)...so I think it is fair. I just think they do not want to get mated or continue to play a lost game.
Not sure what I would do if the position is even. I always click on the reminder enveloppe first....

FL

Moves
24 Jul 07

Always click on the skull. Feel bad about it if you want to, but click on it anyway.

t

Moves
24 Jul 07

When you start a game you are agreeing to play within an agreed time limit. What do you do if your opponent's flag falls in an OTB game? If you don't keep to the time limit your opponent can claim a win. I don't think correspondance chess should be any different. It's only a game after all. If you get timed out, get annoyed for a brief while but then get on with your games.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
24 Jul 07
2 edits

many people will tell you that they won't click a skull, but in reality, 99% of them will click it as soon as humanly possible, regardless of their 'official' stand on the matter. they'll even go out of their way to induce circumstances which increase the possibility of a timeout. tell a regular once-every-seventh-day-mover that you're gonna be away for a week, or put on a vacation flag, and they'll 'suddenly' start moving daily in your games.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
24 Jul 07

since my play has recently increased, i have found a couple of opponents who don't respond to a move timeout.

what is the general feeling about collecting the skull and moving on to a new game?

i don't know the philosophy behind claiming timeout wins, so any explanation on the finer points would help.
Click it.

If you feel bad about it, remember, it's just a number. Assuming that player hasn't left the site and is still playing, their "true" rating will bounce back eventually, so don't fret it.

STS

Moves
24 Jul 07

Best feeling in the world is clicking on a skull, especially if you've got a lost game and the other player is rated much higher than you.

I

Moves
24 Jul 07

I was initially hesitant to click skulls until I played Regicidal. As his profile states(in verse) for all to see(so, presumably, he won't mind), and which has been coursing through my mind ever since:

When a skull comes along
You must click it
Don't wait until it's gone
Hurry click it
The site's a happy place
If you click it
A smile will cross your face
As you click it

Easy win - - Yours to take
Higher rating - - Looks great
Fast forward - - Jump ahead
Why hesitate - - And lose instead
Just click it
Click it quick!

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
24 Jul 07

You are a non-subscriber. You are only entitled to 6 games in progress at any time, therefore you should click on the skull unless you have a real reason not to (other than feeling a bit guilty about it). Check your opponents profile first and if it says: "I can't make moves until this date, due to this reason.", then you can decide whether you want to be merciful or not. If you find the specific game particularly interesting then you have a reason not to click the skull.

What I do depends on the type of game:

In Clan games I will take the skull, this is a team game and it's not just my rating at stake. If they're playing in a clan game they are a subscriber and should have set their holiday thing if they couldn't move.

In Tournament games the system automatically times people out two days after they have run out of timebank. I'll normally wait for that.

In siege games there is a queue, people have to wait for a long time to play and if someone is dragging their feet then I'll time them out for the sake of the other people in the queue (unless I want to keep the game inactive for a bit to manage total game numbers).

I only play challenge games against friends (online or real life) - I don't time out friends. I've normally got too many games to take on challenges from random challengers so the issue hardly ever arises.

If someone's rating has taken a nose-dive I'll time them out as soon as to protect my own rating.

I'll normally (except in clan games) give someone extra time if they are polite and keep me informed.

My profile says "I will time you out without warning." which is true, if I've decided to take the timeout I don't mess around sending pm's.

R

Moves
24 Jul 07

Originally posted by Improv
I was initially hesitant to click skulls until I played Regicidal. As his profile states(in verse) for all to see(so, presumably, he won't mind), and which has been coursing through my mind ever since:

When a skull comes along
You must click it
Don't wait until it's gone
Hurry click it
The site's a happy place
If you click it
A smile will cross your ...[text shortened]... st forward - - Jump ahead
Why hesitate - - And lose instead
Just click it
Click it quick!
Yeah, thanks for the mention. And, sung to the tune of Devo's "Whip it" !