1. Standard memberDualSpace
    DualSpace
    Toronto
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 22:05
    haha. It truely is a social game. I went to a tournament in Niagra Falls to visit a friend (Marijan Procyk ~ 2100 USCF) and started playing speed games in the 'bar area' of the club. Definitley had some great fun with Marijan between his tourny games. By the end of the night everyone was there having a great time, and of course drinking 😛. But a tournament game, you definitely shouldn't drink. Do some deep breathing and visualize or something. Drinking is used to calm nerves, and it definitely does in chess, but it's a double-edged sword...
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 02:36
    What happen to her? (for me :Eve Ry day is a girl!!!) I did take time out. Clock is part of the game. But I hope she's doing well.
  3. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 02:38
    and I like to drink and play chess. for me drinking is part the life but I learned not to play when I'm drunk... after a few bad moves...
  4. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 04:48
    Originally posted by z00t
    Chess players shouldn't drink. That is one of the few things I agree with a certain Kasparov when I asked him not long ago at the Chess & Bridge Centre in London.

Did you not see the mess caused by a young rhp'er in the general forum a few months ago cause of that stuff?
    Was he not talking about PROFESSIONAL chess players? or perhaps meant chess players shouldn't drink before a match? Personally I am becoming aware that I do have a bit of a drink problem because on a match night (once a week, sometimes twice) I feel that urge for a (first) glass wine at about 6.30 but resist until after the game at about 10-11pm. Ironically although I have learned that I may have a problem I also believe I'm not an alcaholic simply because I always abstain before a match (otb).
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 03:03
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    Was he not talking about PROFESSIONAL chess players? or perhaps meant chess players shouldn't drink before a match? Personally I am becoming aware that I do have a bit of a drink problem because on a match night (once a week, sometimes twice) I feel that urge for a (first) glass wine at about 6.30 but resist until after the game at about 10-11pm. Ironicall ...[text shortened]... blem I also believe I'm not an alcaholic simply because I always abstain before a match (otb).
    No, you're an alcoholic, but you smacked me in our games.
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 17:15
    Kasparov meant all chess players shouldn't drink not only pro's of which there are only a few hundred. Alekhine was sadly an alcoholic and this contributed to his loss of the chess title which he had shielded from Capablanca by silly demands.
  7. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 17:41
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    No, you're an alcoholic, but you smacked me in our games.
    Why did I have to read this (at 6.30pm) when I was just starting to get thirtsy 😛
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 17:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 17:46
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    Why did I have to read this (at 6.30pm) when I was just starting to get thirtsy 😛
    Revenge! 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree