Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 28 Jul '07 00:50 / 1 edit
    I stayed up until way past my bedtime tonight to see if one of my opponents would timeout in our two games, and he did! Thanks to him I think I have broken into the top fifty. That's not something which happens EveRyDay.
  2. 28 Jul '07 00:51
    Ouch t/o x2. How many points?
  3. 28 Jul '07 00:59
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Ouch t/o x2. How many points?
    I think I went up a total of 40. I got beaten to the punch by one other player who claimed his two timeouts seconds after 1:00am (12:00am GMT). I have a completely lost game which I should have resigned before claiming the timeouts, but I didn't think of that in time.
  4. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    28 Jul '07 01:14
    thats something i would pull......good job fine sir.
  5. 28 Jul '07 08:24
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I have broken into the top fifty.
    If you drank Vodka istead of beer, maybe you could have even broken into the top ten.
  6. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    28 Jul '07 09:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I think I went up a total of 40. I got beaten to the punch by one other player who claimed his two timeouts seconds after 1:00am (12:00am GMT). I have a completely lost game which I should have resigned before claiming the timeouts, but I didn't think of that in time.
    At 10.00 am BST (9.00 am GMT) I claimed my 2 TOs for a mere rating gain of 20 points as he was only 1950 by then.

    Of course, if his rating hadn't been dropping I would have played fair and not taken the TOs.
  7. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    28 Jul '07 09:48
    Originally posted by kenan
    If you drank Vodka istead of beer, maybe you could have even broken into the top ten.
    And if he mixed vodka and beer then he could have broken top three
  8. 28 Jul '07 10:38
    Chess players shouldn't drink. That is one of the few things I agree with a certain Kasparov when I asked him not long ago at the Chess & Bridge Centre in London.

    Did you not see the mess caused by a young rhp'er in the general forum a few months ago cause of that stuff?
  9. Standard member Kepler
    Demon Duck
    28 Jul '07 16:55
    Originally posted by z00t
    Chess players shouldn't drink. That is one of the few things I agree with a certain Kasparov when I asked him not long ago at the Chess & Bridge Centre in London.

    Did you not see the mess caused by a young rhp'er in the general forum a few months ago cause of that stuff?
    Rubbish. Beer helps with mathematics (at least it dulls the pain) so it should help with chess.
  10. 28 Jul '07 17:52
    Originally posted by z00t
    Chess players shouldn't drink. That is one of the few things I agree with a certain Kasparov when I asked him not long ago at the Chess & Bridge Centre in London.

    Did you not see the mess caused by a young rhp'er in the general forum a few months ago cause of that stuff?
    It is not a simple matter. Many club players enjoy the social side of the matches, i.e. having a drink with the team after a match. If this didn't occur they would probably not be so keen to play, would get less OTB practice and hence would actually be weaker players.

    I really do believe that having a drink or two before a game can help some people play better as it relaxes them. On the other hand I know one strong player who drinks two pints of guiness before a game and another pint every half hour during it. When I played him earlier this season I deliberately kept the game solid for the first three hours and then threw unsound tactics at him. His poor, befuddled eight pint-soaked brain could not deal with them and he blundered almost immediately.
  11. 28 Jul '07 19:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    At 10.00 am BST (9.00 am GMT) I claimed my 2 TOs for a mere rating gain of 20 points as he was only 1950 by then.
    You were still lucky, he's at 1658 now. (Edit: And he still has 179 games in progress...)
  12. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    28 Jul '07 19:03
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    At 10.00 am BST (9.00 am GMT) I claimed my 2 TOs for a mere rating gain of 20 points as he was only 1950 by then.

    Of course, if his rating hadn't been dropping I would have played fair and not taken the TOs.
    Oh thats bull you took a time out in our game seconds after it appeared
  13. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    28 Jul '07 20:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Oh thats bull you took a time out in our game seconds after it appeared
    Alls fair in love and war.

    Was it a Grob? I always click the skulls in Grobs as it is the only way I can win them.
  14. Standard member DualSpace
    DualSpace
    28 Jul '07 22:05
    haha. It truely is a social game. I went to a tournament in Niagra Falls to visit a friend (Marijan Procyk ~ 2100 USCF) and started playing speed games in the 'bar area' of the club. Definitley had some great fun with Marijan between his tourny games. By the end of the night everyone was there having a great time, and of course drinking . But a tournament game, you definitely shouldn't drink. Do some deep breathing and visualize or something. Drinking is used to calm nerves, and it definitely does in chess, but it's a double-edged sword...
  15. 29 Jul '07 02:36
    What happen to her? (for me :Eve Ry day is a girl!!!) I did take time out. Clock is part of the game. But I hope she's doing well.