1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 00:501 edit
    I stayed up until way past my bedtime tonight to see if one of my opponents would timeout in our two games, and he did! Thanks to him I think I have broken into the top fifty. That's not something which happens EveRyDay.
  2. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 00:51
    Ouch t/o x2. How many points?
    😲
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 00:59
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Ouch t/o x2. How many points?
    😲
    I think I went up a total of 40. I got beaten to the punch by one other player who claimed his two timeouts seconds after 1:00am (12:00am GMT). I have a completely lost game which I should have resigned before claiming the timeouts, but I didn't think of that in time.
  4. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 01:14
    thats something i would pull......good job fine sir.
  5. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 08:24
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I have broken into the top fifty.
    If you drank Vodka istead of beer, maybe you could have even broken into the top ten.
  6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 09:171 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I think I went up a total of 40. I got beaten to the punch by one other player who claimed his two timeouts seconds after 1:00am (12:00am GMT). I have a completely lost game which I should have resigned before claiming the timeouts, but I didn't think of that in time.
    At 10.00 am BST (9.00 am GMT) I claimed my 2 TOs for a mere rating gain of 20 points as he was only 1950 by then.

Of course, if his rating hadn't been dropping I would have played fair and not taken the TOs. 😉
  7. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 09:48
    Originally posted by kenan
    If you drank Vodka istead of beer, maybe you could have even broken into the top ten.
    And if he mixed vodka and beer then he could have broken top three 😀
  8. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 10:38
    Chess players shouldn't drink. That is one of the few things I agree with a certain Kasparov when I asked him not long ago at the Chess & Bridge Centre in London.

Did you not see the mess caused by a young rhp'er in the general forum a few months ago cause of that stuff?
  9. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 16:55
    Originally posted by z00t
    Chess players shouldn't drink. That is one of the few things I agree with a certain Kasparov when I asked him not long ago at the Chess & Bridge Centre in London.

Did you not see the mess caused by a young rhp'er in the general forum a few months ago cause of that stuff?
    Rubbish. Beer helps with mathematics (at least it dulls the pain) so it should help with chess.
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 17:52
    Originally posted by z00t

It is not a simple matter. Many club players enjoy the social side of the matches, i.e. having a drink with the team after a match. If this didn't occur they would probably not be so keen to play, would get less OTB practice and hence would actually be weaker players.

I really do believe that having a drink or two before a game can help some people play better as it relaxes them. On the other hand I know one strong player who drinks two pints of guiness before a game and another pint every half hour during it. When I played him earlier this season I deliberately kept the game solid for the first three hours and then threw unsound tactics at him. His poor, befuddled eight pint-soaked brain could not deal with them and he blundered almost immediately.
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 17:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 18:00

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. The sky
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 19:011 edit
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    At 10.00 am BST (9.00 am GMT) I claimed my 2 TOs for a mere rating gain of 20 points as he was only 1950 by then.
    You were still lucky, he's at 1658 now. (Edit: And he still has 179 games in progress...)
  14. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 19:03
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire

Of course, if his rating hadn't been dropping I would have played fair and not taken the TOs. 😉
    Oh thats bull you took a time out in our game seconds after it appeared
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 20:001 edit
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Oh thats bull you took a time out in our game seconds after it appeared
    Alls fair in love and war.

Was it a Grob? I always click the skulls in Grobs as it is the only way I can win them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree