1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 15:251 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    ???? Didn't beating him without losing a game show that Kramnik "deserved" to play Kasparov??
    You forget that Kramnik was trained by Kasparov! If anyone was ever going to beat him, Kramnik was the one with the most experience at playing him! Kramnik is an awesome player, but he still needs to prove it! Kasparov never ducked as many tournaments as Kramnik does. IF he beats Topalov (which i don't think he will), he should defend his new title at the Fide WC next cycle.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 17:16
    Why would he defend it at the Fide WC? Why should FIDE be able declare that the old way determining the WC is invalid and just crown their own? I could see them managing the challenge process and helping to administrate the match, but thats about it.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 19:13
    Topies score against Kram is not to good, kram is way ahead on
    one to one, that may be why he refused the 1.4 million dollar
    offer recently.
  4. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 22:36
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Kasparov is more concerned that he continue to have an opinion, and that he expresses it, than he is in whether his opinion makes sense, or follows from the last absolute truth he uttered a few months ago. He's almost as difficult to deal with as FIDE.

If he were not one of the best players in history, no one would listen.
    Kramnik World Champion? I just don't see it. I don't see why we can't make FIDE the World Chess CHampion's title? What about Kramnik? Topalov crushed him before.
  5. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 22:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    offer recently.
    Wait a second. Do you mean that Kramnik offer Topalov 1.4 million dollars to play him in a match, and Topalov refused to play for the title??? If that's the case, then Kramnik should be considered World Champion.
  6. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    22 Nov '05 22:39
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    You forget that Kramnik was trained by Kasparov! If anyone was ever going to beat him, Kramnik was the one with the most experience at playing him! Kramnik is an awesome player, but he still needs to prove it! Kasparov never ducked as many tournaments as Kramnik does. IF he beats Topalov (which i don't think he will), he should defend his new title at the Fide WC next cycle.
    I'm siding with Topalov if they play each other! I think Topalov could win in a match against him. I think Topalov's performance against the field in the 2005 Championship shows he deserves the title. He crushed and drew a lot of fine Grandmasters to get that FIDE World Championship title. I mean, he beat out ANAND in the standings! Likewise, I would put Anand as one of the top three players in the world today.
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 02:24
    Originally posted by powershaker
    I'm siding with Topalov if they play each other! I think Topalov could win in a match against him. I think Topalov's performance against the field in the 2005 Championship shows he deserves the title. He crushed and drew a lot of fine Grandmasters to get that FIDE World Championship title. I mean, he beat out ANAND in the standings! Likewise, I would put Anand as one of the top three players in the world today.
    I've said it over and over, Kramnik would never have scored as well as Topalov did in the Fide championships. He was the strongest a few years ago, but not any more. Topalovs record against him has nothing to do with. I believe Topalov is stronger and more confident now than at any other point in hs career, if Kramnik played him now, he'd loose!
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 02:46
    I've said it over and over, Kramnik would never have scored as well as Topalov did in the Fide championships. He was the strongest a few years ago, but not any more. Topalovs record against him has nothing to do with. I believe Topalov is stronger and more confident now than at any other point in hs career, if Kramnik played him now, he'd loose!
    Then Topalov should play him in a match, shouldn't he? It'll be a breeze for Topalov according to you.
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 02:55
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Then Topalov should play him in a match, shouldn't he? It'll be a breeze for Topalov according to you.
    Not a breeze, Kramnik is a good player who is probably under graded at the moment (mainly cos he doesn't play enough!) I just want there to be one champion, the rest you know so i won't repeat..
  10. Canada
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 03:01
    Topalov is by far the better player, and I love Kramnik, a few years ago he could have given Topalov a run for his money, but I think Top has elevated his level making him far superior. I think our prob here is we keep trying to compare Kasp, Kram, Top, and Anand (sometimes fischer, Morphy) together. Top right now is the best, hes proven it, in history almost every champ has turned down large amounts of money (some players constantly) to play other players that could possibly beat them, so why pick on Top now. Obviously the guy is going to play in more tournaments, if he keeps destroying the comp that just reinforces what most of us believe, if he losses well obviously we can understand why he woudnt play Kram? but even still thats not conclusive, and eventually if either side keeps being persistant about a match, sometime in the future im sure they will play and settle the score for history sake.
    P.S. Topalov is champ. Thats all that matters, if you know anything about chess; what he did at the championships was amazing and unprecedented, he deserves his title.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 03:20
    Originally posted by TopalovFan
    Topalov is by far the better player, and I love Kramnik, a few years ago he could have given Topalov a run for his money, but I think Top has elevated his level making him far superior. I think our prob here is we keep trying to compare Kasp, Kram, Top, and Anand (sometimes fischer, Morphy) together. Top right now is the best, hes proven it, in history ...[text shortened]... ut chess; what he did at the championships was amazing and unprecedented, he deserves his title.
    No, Topalov isn't the champ. For 150 years, you win the World Chess Championship in match play, not at a tournament (unless the reigning champ is dead). Kramnik defeated the reigning champion, Kasparov, in a match without losing a game. He's the champion as long as he plays legitimate contenders and doesn't lose. If Topalov really wants the World Championship, he'll have to play and beat Kramnik in a match.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 03:52
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    offer recently.
    My database shows 9 Topalov wins, 18 Kramnik wins, and 32 draws. Topalov may have reasons for fear.

Topalov also lacks significant match experience. His 2005 performance in tournaments gives the FIDE title something it has lacked since 1993--credibility, but it is not enough credibility to abandon principles that go back to Steinitz-Zuckertort 1886. Kramnik-Kasparov 2000, and Leko-Kramnik 2004 are in this tradition. San Luis 2005 is in a tradition that had no credibility until now.

Kramnik and Topalov need to play for Topalov's title to have the credibility he needs. But he may lose, and then FIDE will continue their absurd games.
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 06:22
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    My database shows 9 Topalov wins, 18 Kramnik wins, and 32 draws. Topalov may have reasons for fear.

Topalov also lacks significant match experience. His 2005 performance in tournaments gives the FIDE title something it has lacked since 1993--credibility, but it is not enough credibility to abandon principles that go back to Steinitz-Zuckertort 1886. Kramn ...[text shortened]... have the credibility he needs. But he may lose, and then FIDE will continue their absurd games.
    You know something, i wouldn't be surprised if Fide were wangling behind the scenes to prevent a match, waiting until they have a champion that can win a re-unification. Politically speaking, they would emerge with great credibility if their champion won and re-unified the two titles. I wouldn't put it past them, they're dodgy as f***!
  14. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 18:27
    I agree! I like Topalov, and I haven't liked a single World Chess CHampion as a person since Fischer. But, I like the Bulgarian! I think he has class, too.
  15. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    23 Nov '05 18:28
    Originally posted by TopalovFan
    Topalov is by far the better player, and I love Kramnik, a few years ago he could have given Topalov a run for his money, but I think Top has elevated his level making him far superior. I think our prob here is we keep trying to compare Kasp, Kram, Top, and Anand (sometimes fischer, Morphy) together. Top right now is the best, hes proven it, in history ...[text shortened]... ut chess; what he did at the championships was amazing and unprecedented, he deserves his title.
    Totally agree with you!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree