Traxler Counter-attack

Traxler Counter-attack

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
22 Dec 07

Shirov, Beliavsky, Ivanov & Wedberg are 4 GM's who have played the Traxler.

H
SUPREMO OF SOMERSET

SOMERSET

Moves
22 Dec 07

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Ng5 Bc5 5. Nxf7 Bxf2+ 6. Kf1 Qe7 7. Nxh8 d5 8. exd5 Bg4 9. Be2 Bxe2+ 10. Qxe2 Nd4 11. Qd3
O-O-O 12. Kxf2 Rf8 13. c3 Ne4+ 14. Ke1 Qh4+ 15. g3 Nxg3 16. cxd4
That was what I found out on fritz but this is about where it's theory runs out.

Or if white plays like an idiot this is what could well happen:

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Ng5 Bc5 5. Nxf7 Bxf2+ 6.
Kxf2 Nxe4+ 7. Ke3 Qe7 8. Kxe4 d5+ 9. Bxd5 Qh4+10. g4 Bxg4 11. Bxc6+ Bd7+ 12. Ke3 Qd4+ 13. Ke2 bxc6 14. Rg1 Bg4+ 15. Rxg4
Qxg4+ 16. Ke1 Qh4+ 17. Kf1 O-O 18. Qe2 Rxf7+ 19. Kg2 Raf8

NL

Moves
22 Dec 07

Originally posted by cmsMaster
He's probably got 600 on you otb. I'd never challenge Lad to serious match, he's top 5 on this site imo.
For what it's worth, my OTB (i.e. FIDE Elo) rating is very close to my RHP rating and has been for some time.

NL

Moves
22 Dec 07

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
Shirov, Beliavsky, Ivanov & Wedberg are 4 GM's who have played the Traxler.
Yes, but not recently I think. Beliavsky played it a couple of times in the early 90's and got 1.5/2 against Karpov and Anand, which doesn't sound at all bad. However, Karpov played typically cautiously (obviously surprised by Beliavsky's opening choice), and Anand absolutely murdered Beliavsky in the opening (+-) but then later allowed himself to be swindled. (I published the full game in the previous Traxler thread.) Tellingly Beliavky never tried the Traxler again. Incidentally, in both games white played 5.Bxf7+. It's hard to imagine a strong GM playing anything else.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
22 Dec 07

Originally posted by Northern Lad
Yes, but not recently I think. Beliavsky played it a couple of times in the early 90's and got 1.5/2 against Karpov and Anand, which doesn't sound at all bad. However, Karpov played typically cautiously (obviously surprised by Beliavsky's opening choice), and Anand absolutely murdered Beliavsky in the opening (+-) but then later allowed himself to be sw ...[text shortened]... in both games white played 5.Bxf7+. It's hard to imagine a strong GM playing anything else.
and at the GM level Bxf7+ is probably better for white... meaning that at the 2300 level in CC (where u are Northern Lad) Bxf7+ probably gives white an advantage... but you have to take into account a few things.

Nxf7 is played way more than Bxf7+ at just about any level... no clue why.

Kxf2 is played way more than Kf1.. again almost unbelievable but I've given this line a lot of practice and it's true...

Bxf7+ still lets black have a better position and some tempo.. something that lots of other gambits really don't do. Making it, in my opinion, worth the pawn.

Ultimately, in my opinion, the chances the Traxler give you are more than worth the pawn you sacrifice. Look at other lines played rather regularly by some GM's .. the Wing gambit, the Kings Gambit and the like.. all gave up a pawn really with no plan of getting it back.. the sacrifice was semi tactical but mostly positional...

you don't have to agree with me 🙂.

c

Moves
23 Dec 07

Originally posted by ih8sens
and at the GM level Bxf7+ is probably better for white... meaning that at the 2300 level in CC (where u are Northern Lad) Bxf7+ probably gives white an advantage... but you have to take into account a few things.

Kxf2 is played way more than Kf1.. again almost unbelievable but I ...[text shortened]... crifice was semi tactical but mostly positional...

GMs don't play gambits often at all. If a GM does play the KG it's generally 3.Bc4 anyway.

NL

Moves
23 Dec 07

Originally posted by ih8sens

Kxf2 is played way more than Kf1.. again almost unbelievable but I ...[text shortened]... crifice was semi tactical but mostly positional...

You contradict yourself in that thread. You're right when you say that at 2300+ level 5.Bxf7+ gives white the advantage. Then lower down you say black's compensation is worth the pawn. Objectively, it clearly isn't. I've already said in a previous post that at your level the Traxler is perfectly playable. At a higher level, where play is ultra precise, it almost certainly isn't.

NL

Moves
23 Dec 07

GMs don't play gambits often at all. If a GM does play the KG it's generally 3.Bc4 anyway.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. For example, the Marshall (which is a countergambit for black) is all the rage at GM level. And GMs who have played the King's Gambit in recent years like Fedorov and Short have actually mostly played 3.Nf3.

c

Moves
23 Dec 07

I'm not sure that's entirely true. For example, the Marshall (which is a countergambit for black) is all the rage at GM level. And GMs who have played the King's Gambit in recent years like Fedorov and Short have actually mostly played 3.Nf3.
Yeah, I forgot about the Marshall - but that's really the only gambit I can think of that is played very often at that level. The next is the Benko, but that doesn't seem to get thrown around too often.

I'd actually have to look up some numbers to see if 3.Nf3 is still more popular than 3.Bc4, but I'm too lazy so I'll just take your word for it. 🙂

H
SUPREMO OF SOMERSET

SOMERSET

Moves
23 Dec 07

Yeah, I forgot about the Marshall - but that's really the only gambit I can think of that is played very often at that level. The next is the Benko, but that doesn't seem to get thrown around too often.

I'd actually have to look up some numbers to see if 3.Nf3 is still more popular than 3.Bc4, but I'm too lazy so I'll just take your word for it. 🙂
I play Nf3 because it stops the annoying Qh4+

n
The Ever Living

Third Earth

Moves
23 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by HurricaneConway125
I play Nf3 because it stops the annoying Qh4+
After 3...Qh4+ 4.Kf1 is fine for White!

3...Qh4+ is not black's best move.

Black should play 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Bc4 Nf6! (with ideas of playing c6 and d5 hitting the bishop)

NL

Moves
23 Dec 07

Originally posted by najdorfslayer
After 3...Qh4+ 4.Kf1 is fine for White!

3...Qh4+ is not black's best move.

Black should play 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Bc4 Nf6! (with ideas of playing c6 and d5 hitting the bishop)
That's certainly the accepted theoretical position, but actually I'm not so sure. I do think 3...Qh4+ may be better than its reputation.

NL

Moves
23 Dec 07

The Benko seems quite popular at all but the very highest levels (i.e. Super GMs) for some reason. There are quite a few IMs and 'normal' GMs who regularly play it.

v

Moves
23 Dec 07

heh, I thought they play very often Queen's Gambit 🙂...Or that doesn't count?

n
The Ever Living

Third Earth

Moves
23 Dec 07
1 edit

That's certainly the accepted theoretical position, but actually I'm not so sure. I do think 3...Qh4+ may be better than its reputation.
But surely after White play Nf3 Black has to move his queen again. Is placing the king on f1 worth moving the queen twice in the opening?