1. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 01:34
    really surprised no one sees it my way...you guys are pretty hardcore about chess it seems...alright, i guess i can accept it, but i still don't like it...kind of like a soccer playing diving to the ground faking an injury to get someone on the other team kicked outta the game...but anyways, since my game was found, can someone tell me where i screwed up, and what i should/could have done? was his initial check a couple moves before i took the bishop the real screw up, or before that???
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 01:57
    Originally posted by fatherdeath
    really surprised no one sees it my way...you guys are pretty hardcore about chess it seems...alright, i guess i can accept it, but i still don't like it...kind of like a soccer playing diving to the ground faking an injury to get someone on the other team kicked outta the game...but anyways, since my game was found, can someone tell me where i screwed up ...[text shortened]... s his initial check a couple moves before i took the bishop the real screw up, or before that???
    no, it isn't like a faked injury, it's like a tie game. somehow you don't seem to grasp that it's an accePtable result, and a better result than a loss.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 02:07
    really surprised no one sees it my way...you guys are pretty hardcore about chess it seems...alright, i guess i can accept it, but i still don't like it...kind of like a soccer playing diving to the ground faking an injury to get someone on the other team kicked outta the game...but anyways, since my game was found, can someone tell me where i screwed up ...[text shortened]... s his initial check a couple moves before i took the bishop the real screw up, or before that???
    at move 31 his king is overloaded

RxB+ looks good.....
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 02:382 edits
    Hardcore? Hardly, we're all pretty laid back, rank amateurs.
    In chess scoring, you get 1 point for a win, no point for a loss and a half point for a draw.
    1>0
    1/2>0
    Do the math
    No that you're a bit more chess savvy, remember this lesson and apply it, it could save you from a loss someday.
  5. e4
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 03:291 edit
    Hi Father D.

"you guys are pretty hardcore about chess it seems...."

We have all suffered the same fate as you. Chucking won/drawn games.
    The misery never goes away. Just before we nod off each night these positions
    from the past pop into our mind like chain rattling ghosts and jerk us awake.

We sit bolt upright and scream "Why?...Why?...Why?"

No wonder you are getting pelted from the lads.
    All you have done is remind each one of them of (and me) about that game,
    that awful terrible game, where they threw a win into the dustbin.

So Father D. Welcome to world of sleepness nights.
    (and I'm about to add one more position to your nightmares.) 🙂

I was going to wait till after the game was finished before passing on advice.
    But as others has stepped forward I'll join in.
    (It will be a quiet time in the forums if the three or four us get the statutory 7 day ban).

Yes it's annoying but it's part of the beautiful game.
    You relax for one move and BANG! (or as S.G. would say 'Boom,).
    At least you get ½ point - very often it's zilch.
    Take it away as a lesson learned.

And there are lessons to be learned.

Flaw in your tactical play mate. There is a wee trick you are missing.
    As pointed out, earlier in this game here

You had a choice of three good moves. (all with a check...Check ALL Checks).
    White played 31.Qb7?

31.Rxe7+ leaves White a whole Queen up.
    31.Qxg6+ and after Rxe7 White is a Rook up.
    31.Qd5+ Kf8 (31...Ke8 gets mated after 32.Ra8+) 32.Ra8+ Again winning the Queen or Black gets mated.

Any of these three would have probably forced an instant Black resignation.

When a King is defending things it's even more important that you check all checks.

You missed the same tactic in 2011. In that game you also let a win slip
    through your non-checking fingers and had to settle for a draw.

Here in your game v ScottWeiser Game 8581084

You as Black here played 43...a3.
    Right square, wrong piece. 43...Ra3+ 0-1. (You come out a whole Rook up).

Did a Blog about perpetuals on RHP.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/blog/blogread.php?blogpostid=42

Check it out, especially the last position.

My nightmare?

To my credit, I bowed my head and laughed but every now and then
    it comes back to me. I still find it funny, and quite brilliant...I never saw it coming.

R.Austin v G.Chandler, Edinburgh Club Championship. 1980.
    I'm coasting home. I sacced my Queen for a bucket load of material and am at the wrap up stage

6. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 11:003 edits
    "really surprised no one sees it my way...you guys are pretty hardcore about chess it seems"

It's not about being hardcore. It's about knowing what the rules are. There are more rules than just how the pieces move. To mention only two:

1) How results are scored (as ChessPraxis explained) materially affects strategy, since a draw (1/2 point) is better than a loss (zero).

2) No taking back moves once played. Ever. You might have noticed that there is no "undo" button on the web interface. "Submit" means you are committed and there is no going back. Asking your opponent to let you take back a move is impolite. THAT would be like falling down and faking an injury in soccer. Expect to be snubbed if you try it in correspondence chess. You can challenge your opponent to another game and play the same moves up to the point where you wanted to do something else, and then play on from there, but, of course, you cannot expect your opponent to play all the same moves HE made the first time round.

Stick with it. You'll get the hang of it with more practice.

PS, yeah, we all sit bolt upright at night sometimes... It's part of the excitement of the world's second greatest waste of intellectual horsepower.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 12:06
    1) How results are scored (as ChessPraxis explained) materially affects strategy, since a draw (1/2 point) is better than a loss (zero).

PS: heads up! There are tournaments in which a different scoring system is used.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 15:24
    Originally posted by moonbus
    "really surprised no one sees it my way...you guys are pretty hardcore about chess it seems"

It's not about being hardcore. It's about knowing what the rules are. There are more rules than just how the pieces move. To mention only two:

1) How results are scored (as ChessPraxis explained) materially affects strategy, since a draw (1/2 point) is better t ...[text shortened]... ... It's part of the excitement of the world's second greatest waste of intellectual horsepower.
    I'd say the problem is the difference between the average person and people who play in tournaments.

To the average person you play to win. A loss or a tie mean the same thing. You did not win. If you play for a tie you play to lose.
  9. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 16:191 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Well, your opinion is more ignorant than anything else to me.

Learn to protect your King if you want to win with your extra piece. Or take up something more your speed, like checkers or knitting.

Edit: Yep, found it. Game 10416783. You screwed it up. You had a win, and blew it. Suck it up and take the draw.
    Isn't this a game in progress?
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 16:52
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Isn't this a game in progress?
    I don't care anymore. Years of nobody else caring has worn me down. 😞
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 18:41
    "Rank outsider: Isn't this a game in progress?
    SG: I don't care anymore. Years of nobody else caring has worn me down."

A rule more observed in the breach than the practice? Hmm, starting a thread about a game in progress is just asking for it though, isn't it?
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 20:47
    "Rank outsider: Isn't this a game in progress?
    SG: I don't care anymore. Years of nobody else caring has worn me down."

A rule more observed in the breach than the practice? Hmm, starting a thread about a game in progress is just asking for it though, isn't it?
    Not really. The OP did not mention a specific game and the question could have been responded to without any reference to the actual game.

I just think if I were the opponent and anything said so far has any impact on how the game evolves, I would be a bit miffed, that's all.
  13. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 20:52

PS, yeah, we all sit bolt upright at night sometimes... It's part of the excitement of the world's second greatest waste of intellectual horsepower.[/b]
    Second greatest waste? What's first?
  14. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 22:47
    Sounds to me like SG needs a pep-talk.

YouTube
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Jan '14 23:00
    Originally posted by SmittyTime
    Sounds to me like SG needs a pep-talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYNmo6F8IVM
    Can you translate it for me? 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree