Unread chess literature

Unread chess literature

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
28 Feb 10
1 edit

i used to have a serious problem with buying chess books. I'd order one after the other. Waiting for them to drop through my letter box was like a drug in itself. I'd spend a week or so getting through the first chapter or two then i'd be off again! This resulted in reams of unread chess literature occupying my bookshelf. Over the past year or so i've managed to get over this addiction, preferring to play rather than read. In particular i like to train against computer programmes.
However to supplement my training games i've decided to delve into the dusty corner of my bookshelf and i've pulled out some great titles.

1.The Art of the Checkmate by Renaud and khan. I've actually read this 3 years ago cover to cover. Got to be worth another read.
2. Instructive positions form master chess by Mieses. Only partially read so far
3.The chess mind by Abrahams. I've flipped through the odd chapter but i'm going to give this some attention.
4. The Art of Sacrifice In Chess by Spielmann. Only ever flicked throuh this one but it deserves far more.

Some of the positions and games in these books look fantastic and highly instructive. No need to spend a fortune on amazon. I''ve got the resources right under my nose.
How about you guys? any untouched gems lying at the back of the shelf?

e4

Moves
28 Feb 10

In 1995 I said to hell with it.

And sold over 600 yes 600 chess books.

I kept 10-15.

And now through 2nd hand shops, cheap boxes, gifts, review copies and ebay
I now have over 200.

I think you will find most chess players are the same.

z

Moves
28 Feb 10

I sold about 30 last year and still have 48 on my shelf and about 10 that I've lent out. I've only seriously read 5 of them. Most I read bits and pieces.

A

Moves
28 Feb 10

+-400 books,had a bad case of the disease.Actually,I'm still not completely cured 😳

read cover to cover:
logical chess - Chernev
best lessons of a chesscoach - Weeramantry & Eusebi
mastering chess - Kopec,Chandler etc
the search for chess perfection II - Purdy
the game of chess - Tarrasch
improve your endgame play - Flear
the art of the checkmate - Renaud & Kahn
chess tactics - Littlewood
lekker schaken vol. 1 to 5 - Brunia & Van Wijgerden
zo leer je goed schaken 1 & 2 - Euwe
de koning - Donner

Partly read:
various game collections,biographies,tournament & match books
ideas behind the chess openings - Fine
chess fundamentals - Capablanca
how to become a deadly chess tactician - Lemoir
essential chess sacrifices - Lemoir
chess exam and training guide - Khmelnitsky
chess mazes - Alberston (an oddity this one)

Planning to read
chess for tigers - Webb
a practical guide to rook endings - Minev
Paul Morphy,a modern perspective - Beim
understanding chess move by move - Nunn
better chess for average players - Harding
+ all the ones I started in

m

Moves
02 Mar 10
1 edit

I really like chess books but have a hard time keeping up with them. I just never have a board next to me when reading them so I end up getting lost in the notation. I wish there was an iphone App or mini board that was designed to help someone go through the chess notation of a books

r

Moves
02 Mar 10

Originally posted by meyekal
I really like chess books but have a hard time keeping up with them. I just never have a board next to me when reading them so I end up getting lost in the notation. I wish there was an iphone App or mini board that was designed to help someone go through the chess notation of a books
God forbid having to put a little work into it.

😉
-GIN

p

Moves
02 Mar 10

Originally posted by ratherbighammer

😉
-GIN
GIN ???

Is that a quote or are you trying to start something with GIN?

hehe

M

Moves
02 Mar 10

Originally posted by Ajuin
+-400 books,had a bad case of the disease.Actually,I'm still not completely cured 😳

read cover to cover:
logical chess - Chernev
best lessons of a chesscoach - Weeramantry & Eusebi
mastering chess - Kopec,Chandler etc
the search for chess perfection II - Purdy
the game of chess - Tarrasch
improve your endgame play - Flear
the art of the checkmate - ...[text shortened]... ss move by move - Nunn
better chess for average players - Harding
+ all the ones I started in
How is the chess exam book? I'm very interested in it. Is it good? What's your opinion.

N
10. O-O

Kalispell, MT

Moves
02 Mar 10
6 edits

😉
-GIN
Well said. Its too bad I didn't get a chance to say it myself.

The only chess books I have, I've either read, or I'm working on them currently. I don't
own all that many. About a dozen or so, but I've read them all more than once (except
those I'm working on now). I use 2-3 books as study material most of the time. I
don't think I really ever finish one; just get through it, again. Even the most basic
books inspire ideas, and the complex often reevaluate the most basic ideas.

Reading through more than one at a time, has good returns if balanced correctly.
Two good workbooks are almost forcefully needed, A tactics puzzlebook, and an
ending book. Often, we have more to add to that plate, but truly could do without.

No matter what your reading, its the effort that makes it profitable.

-GIN
[now its official baby]

A

Moves
02 Mar 10
2 edits

Originally posted by Maxacre42
How is the chess exam book? I'm very interested in it. Is it good? What's your opinion.
I think it's very good.In fact,starting today I'm doing it anew and will hopefully finish this time.

But be warned,it's not a light read nor the usual puzzle book.If you want to benefit it takes work!

To give you an idea,the first 2 questions:

White to move!

Question #1 - Which statement is the most accurate?

A White is winning NO matter whose move it is
B Draw NO matter whose move it is
C White can win without using his king
D Draw only if Black to move

1 - II What is the best move?

A 1.Nc6-b4
B 1.a6-a7
C 1.Kg3-f3
D Both A and B yield the same result

Training position.1-1 To secure a draw,Black needs to eliminate the last pawn.If it was Black to move his king could take the knight and still have just enough time to catch the pawn.Therefore A is incorrect.It is White to move and he can win (B is incorrect).The winning plan is - to protect the pawn with the knight,bring white king over to protect the pawn (C is incorrect) and jointly with the knight get it promoted.That leaves D as the only correct answer - 5 points.1-2 A serious mistake is 1.Kf3? leaving the knight unprotected.Thus you are penalized for selecting C.The safest way for the knight to defend the pawn is from behind since Black king must remain next to the pawn and cannot continue harassing the knight.Both 1.Nb4 (A) and 1.a7 (B) do just that.The next step is to bring the White king to defend the pawn and use the knight to chase Black king out of the corner.However,after 1.a7? Kb7 Black can maneuver between b7 and a8 and White cannot protect the pawn and free the knight due to a stalemate.After 1.Nb4 (5 points for A) White king will travel to b5 and free the knight.Then combining the efforts of the K+N+p White will easily drive Black king away from the corner.1 point for choice D

White to move!

Question #2

I Evaluate the position

A Black is better
B Nearly equal
C White is better
D White is winning

II What is the best move

A 1.Be3-d2
B 1.Rb6xd6
C 1.g3xf4
D 1.Be3-c1

Baburin,J-Basas,J Andorra open,1998.2-1 White is dominating on the queenside but he must deal with the Black initiative on the kingside.The overall assessment is that White is better and you get 5 points for C.It is way optimistic to think White is winning but you get 1 point for answer D.2-2 Both 1.Bd2 (1 point for A) and 1.Bc1 are OK,but somewhat passive and after the agressive 1.... e4!? or 1.... fxg3 2.fxg3 e4!? Black has some initiative on the kingside.You are penalized for choosing a self-destructing 1.gxf4? (-1 point for C) as it is only helping Black by opening attacking lines for Re8 and Bg7 against the weakened position of the White king.An exciting positional sacrifice 1.Rxd6!? (5 points for B) was played in the game.White got pawns for the piece,neutralized the Black initiative and gained a psychological momentum.Black never recovered from the initial shock and quickly fell apart.After 1.Rxd6 fxe3 2.Nxe3 Bf8? (already a losing move,better was 2.... Nf6 but after 3.Rc6 and 4.Rxc5 White has excellent chances) 3.Rxg6+! (and the rest is easy!) hxg6 4.Qxg6+ Ng7 5.Ng4 Be7 6.Nh6+ Black resigned.I suggest you play the starting position against a friend or computer to practice your attacking skills.

A

Moves
02 Mar 10

Btw,I'm talking about the first book.
He has published 2 others since.I have not seen those.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
02 Mar 10

Originally posted by Talisman
i used to have a serious problem with buying chess books.
As you are not discussing the lack of available cash for these purchases, I fail to see where lies the problem. Buying chess books is good.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
02 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Ajuin
I think it's very good.In fact,starting today I'm doing it anew and will hopefully finish this time.

But be warned,it's not a light read nor the usual puzzle book.If you want to benefit it takes work!

To give you an idea,the first 2 questions:

[fen]8/2k5/P1N5/8/8/6K1/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]

White to move!

Question #1 - Which statement is the most ac ...[text shortened]... starting position against a friend or computer to practice your attacking skills. [/hidden]
Interesting. I got problem #1 right, but muffed problem #2. Positional sacrifices aren't my strong suit.

MC

Moves
02 Mar 10

😉
-GIN
Whoops.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
03 Mar 10

Originally posted by Talisman
i used to have a serious problem with buying chess books. I'd order one after the other. Waiting for them to drop through my letter box was like a drug in itself. I'd spend a week or so getting through the first chapter or two then i'd be off again! This resulted in reams of unread chess literature occupying my bookshelf. Over the past year or so i've mana ...[text shortened]... nder my nose.
How about you guys? any untouched gems lying at the back of the shelf?
Paul Leggett's Best Games of Chess

It's a short book and a very quick read, so I'm told.