1. Joined
    18 Jan '10
    Moves
    04 Jun '10 18:03
    Originally posted by Renars
    I don't get the gist of it.. since it's there, it's legal and "fair"... that's like saying that Flip Board or Notebook features are also 'unfair' advantage (vs. non-users), it's not that subs would get it but non-subs not, *everyone* CAN use it..
    Point well taken ... No need for the "unfair" adjective in front of advantage ... The proper statemetn should just be:

- Provides an advantage to its users (versus non-users) ... which may lead to inflated ratings (compared to OTB ratings where all the analysis occurs in your head) !!!
  2. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Jun '10 13:17
    It all depends on what kind of chess you play on the site. I play a lot of OTB chess at the local club's tournament, but here I play following the rules of traditional correspondence chess: I'm using books and databases and explore variations using the provided analysis board or another board, and I don't feel that I'm cheating. Of course, some people play only OTB-like chess here - they don't use books and don't try moves on a board before making their replies, so they may feel their opponent is cheating when they suspect he's using books or uses a board to analyze his potential replies, but I don't think that qualifies as cheating.

Nitreb

==============
    Hello Everyone

Do you use the "Analyze Board" feature on this site to explore what move to make during an ongoing (non blitz) game?

Do you consider doing this to be unethical and a form of cheating?

I quite often use the "Analyze Board" during my games on this site under the assumption (perhaps mistaken), that playing "Internet Chess" is essentially the modern version of "Correspondence Chess" where it is common place to analyze candidates moves by actually moving pieces over a chess board.
    ==============
  3. Joined
    04 Nov '09
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 03:45
    Cheating? Nope....a great analysis tool? Yes...

The real question: are we losing our ability to analyze postions mentally by using this feature?
  4. Joined
    31 Mar '07
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 07:30
    I use it regularly, especially in tougher games, although i acknowledge that to do so is to risk forming a reliance on it and thus developing a disadvantage when playing OTB due to decreased memory skill. Early on, i found myself getting caught up in long sequences where i (often incorrectly) predicted the opponent's moves, so i try to be conscious of how far into a sequence it is realistic to go. It's certainly better than one's brain for visualising potential layouts beyond a few moves, especially on a crowded board.
  5. e4
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 08:51
    Hi Afro.

"...are we losing our ability to analyze postions mentally by using this feature?"

Good question.

I'd say no.
    OTB and CC are different games.

OTB
    You are there facing one player and you are up for that one game which
    will be over in a few hours. Your entire thoughts are regarding just that one game.

CC.
    You can be playing up to 20,30,40 games at once lasting weeks, months...years.

It's impossible to get into OTB mode every time you log on especially if you
    are saccing the chess set in one game, defending like a cornered rat in another,
    trying to recall an opening variation in another....

Of course it would be of a great benefit if you could mentally work out
    each move from game to game confident that you will not be making
    a blunder or missing a good move.

However it's easy to see without looking to far that most players don't
    give each position the attention it demands and they move far to quickly.

I have seen some incredible blunders in OTB play but I have seen much
    much worse on here. (you would think it would be the reverse).

I very very rarely use the site analysis board. I find it clumsy and slow.

I'm one fo the old school who played C.C. with stamps & envelopes in the 60's
    through to the 80's.

We got into habit of writng down each move in a score book after it arrived.
    So I do that.

I'd say most of the time I played at the screen, choosing a move after
    some thought . (though I still managed a few a times not to find the best move).
    Or instantly if following some analysis/line that I had worked out or an
    opening trap that I knew.

If it got messy or interesting then off to the full board.

http://www.chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandlerarticle.php?ChandID=8
  6. Joined
    04 Nov '09
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 16:49
    what's the same is NOT an advantage for anyone!!!
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 17:10
    Originally posted by Alemanma
    - Provides an advantage to its users (versus non-users) ... which may lead to inflated ratings (compared to OTB ratings where all the analysis occurs in your head) !!!
    And that's one reason why you can't compare OTB and corr ratings. They are different forms of chess.

I bet there are people who attain several hundred points higher corr ratings simply because they can play the game in their home or other favorite environment, with no clock ticking, no spectators, no opponent staring at them from across the table, etc. They can even come back to it the next day if they can't think of a good move. People of a more nervous temperament must benefit from the change of setting.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree